• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    An acquaintance has inherited an Ingram Mac 10 in 45 and 9mm from her husband. What does she have to do to make it legal for her? If she decides to sell what paperwork does she need to do? Is it easier to use a class 3 dealer to perform the transaction? Thanks in advance.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do we presume the deceased Husband had all the paperwork in order with said machineguns?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    An acquaintance has inherited an Ingram Mac 10 in 45 and 9mm from her husband. What does she have to do to make it legal for her? If she decides to sell what paperwork does she need to do? Is it easier to use a class 3 dealer to perform the transaction? Thanks in advance.

Not to be rude but you are better to just call the ATF, assuming they are registered, and work out the details as they do this all the time and know all the ins and outs.

Is she the executor of the estate? If so there is no need to transfer to her to sell, just sell them and she can sign as the executor of the estate.

If she wants to keep them she can fill a tax free transfer (probably form 5) and get them in her name. This will take a few months and is not ideal if you want to sell right away.

Yes you can go through a dealer and have him do the work and pay him 10-25%ish...

Or you could run a gunbroker auction or list them here... Its not hard to sell MGs. List 10% under market rate and people will have you cash in hand tomorrow.

Remember they are property of an estate no more. ATF paperwork is TAX info only! Don't feel the need to get it done tomorrow.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Do we presume the deceased Husband had all the paperwork in order with said machineguns?

Serious question to educate myself, are there factory built MACs out there without papers? I would think a factory made MAC would pretty much have to have papers somewhere since they were all legally sold by MAC/RPB/SWD etc., unless it was stolen or something. Even if it were stolen someone must have legal claim to it.

I am assuming it wasn't made from a factory receiver blank without a Form 1 being properly filed before the curtain fell.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Stolen or otherwise diverted.

Took defacto possesion without benefit of tax stamp when previous owner deceased.

Initially illegally converted from semi. Early open bolt semi MAC's particularily notorous for this in '80s.

Not as likely for a MAC, but while covering the bases generally ; an under the table war trophy.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This link should be a sticky. There is so much information that is extremely relevant.

Nice post!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Serious question to educate myself, are there factory built MACs out there without papers? I would think a factory made MAC would pretty much have to have papers somewhere since they were all legally sold by MAC/RPB/SWD etc., unless it was stolen or something. Even if it were stolen someone must have legal claim to it.

I am assuming it wasn't made from a factory receiver blank without a Form 1 being properly filed before the curtain fell.

In the 80s there were tons of home converted units , As well as exported units that made there way back in the states illegally . Especially in Miami area . Use to see them show up at gunshows with walk ins that didn't have a clue!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom