• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    Congrats! So that was you I heard over there :-)

Saw a game Warden when I was loading up to head home. First time I've ever seen one there. Checked my license and parking pass, then started checking the other vehicles....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone ever heard something other than a buck snort wheeze? At one point I had two does and a button eating my corn at my salt lick. One doe only stuck around for maybe 10 minutes. The button buck was there almost the entire 3hrs I was in the stand. The other doe about 2hrs. Was there for a long time, left for half an hour, came back, left an hour later.

Anyway, one of those two short wheezed a couple times and I am pretty sure it was the doe based on how the two were acting. A couple short wheeze when leaving and then half a dozen when she’d gotten back in the woods. When the button came back (he left for 10 minutes and then came back at 15 minutes after sundown) he was short wheezing at me a bunch as I was packing up to get my climber down.

But I’d still swear it was the doe snort wheezing at me earlier.

Also never heard a button snort wheeze. I’ve heard/seen some older bucks snort wheeze a couple of times and I’ve gotten snort wheezed at in the dark a few times.

Out of curiosity, any ideas? Also that button was PISSED when I was packing up. Snorting and stomping his front hooves at me. He ran for it as soon as I stood up to start shimmying down the tree it ran for it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am thinking of trying to talk to some more neighbors about hunting. There are a few bigger properties in the neighborhood. So many neighbors have been mentioning to me it seemingly like the deer are thick this year here. Driving my younger son down to the river to fish at about 6 (yeah, some quick evening fishing) we must have passed 50 deer over about a dozen small herds. Almost all does that we could see. A nice 6, a fork and a couple of spikes. Rest were does or buttons. Bucks probably not out in the open as much. still a lot of deer over that mile and a half.

A few of the properties bordering the park are around 10-15 acres. Not huge, but if they want a deer or two thinned, especially if they don’t mine a muzzleloader...

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I am thinking of trying to talk to some more neighbors about hunting. There are a few bigger properties in the neighborhood. So many neighbors have been mentioning to me it seemingly like the deer are thick this year here. Driving my younger son down to the river to fish at about 6 (yeah, some quick evening fishing) we must have passed 50 deer over about a dozen small herds. Almost all does that we could see. A nice 6, a fork and a couple of spikes. Rest were does or buttons. Bucks probably not out in the open as much. still a lot of deer over that mile and a half.

A few of the properties bordering the park are around 10-15 acres. Not huge, but if they want a deer or two thinned, especially if they don’t mine a muzzleloader...

I really enjoy reading your hunting stories.One thing I think you should look out for. I have one small parcel of land that I hunt every year.It mostly holds does and small bucks,but I have killed a couple of nice bucks in the early ML season or during the rut with a bow..One thing I have noticed throughout the years is I can only get 1 or 2 deer out of here per year.Once I disturb the woods with my scent while retrieving the deer,they stop coming through that spot.Except button bucks.....they are here all the time.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    It's all cool and hanging in the deer cooler at 39°. She is going to butcher it this morning after she went over last night to get a picture. You can't post it on instagram unless you got a picture, .. don't you know. Chewed the fat with my buddy a bit. One the way home I got the "You going to help me butcher, or I gotta do this one all on my own?" Yea, .. I'll help.

My buddy told her to focus on bucks on the farm for a while and we can all kill does in December and January. She has a spot with neighborhood deer to kill off does for friends wanting deer meat. She hasn't killed any does there yet as the does are late breed and the fawns were young. She wanted to give them some time to grow before dropping momma. I told her she's going to be helping the herd over there killing does over there. Lots of white oaks and old forest. I told her I'd hunt that and wait for the fawns to get bigger and look for cruising bucks over there.

She just spent a bunch of money on a Diamond Carbon Knockout and was excited as it is her first kill with it. She wanted the Eva Shockey bow but determined it came with nothing, cost more and was essentially the same bow. Maybe she does listen, when I'm not aware.
    72721282_3791852720856532_3157105209453314048_n.jpg
    Nice congrats!

So anyone have a blood tracker?

Saw a HUGE one. Took what I thought was a good shot. All I found was this right where it was when I shot, after hours of searching. It definitely took off at a gallop and acted hurt.

Had to of been at least 14, 15 hands at the shoulder.
    :lol2::lol2::lol2:

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I took a young doe on opening muzzle loader day (Thursday). It was super windy right up until 10 minutes left of shooting light, so this was the only deer I saw. I hunted on Saturday evening and had maybe a dozen does come through and a tempting six pointer, but I decided to pass since I've already got plenty of meat. I'm just looking for the big boy now!

How many of you will take a bow and muzzleloader to your stands this week? I only did that once and decided between the bow, rifle, climber stand, and day pack...it's a little too much to handle.

Also, I have a blood tracking dog if anyone ever needs help. PM me in advance if you might need assistance so I can give you my phone number. I'm willing to go about an hour from DC to help you.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I took a young doe on opening muzzle loader day (Thursday). It was super windy right up until 10 minutes left of shooting light, so this was the only deer I saw. I hunted on Saturday evening and had maybe a dozen does come through and a tempting six pointer, but I decided to pass since I've already got plenty of meat. I'm just looking for the big boy now!

How many of you will take a bow and muzzleloader to your stands this week? I only did that once and decided between the bow, rifle, climber stand, and day pack...it's a little too much to handle.

Also, I have a blood tracking dog if anyone ever needs help. PM me in advance if you might need assistance so I can give you my phone number. I'm willing to go about an hour from DC to help you.

Pretty sure that’s not allowed. My reading of regs and asking over the years I think the answer is only one legal hunting device is allowed with you in the field.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Took another medium doe tonight. Damn Powerbelt did the same thing it did last year. Went in, bounced off of something and came back out. Hit her directly behind the shoulder like I wanted. Broken shoulder, huge hole, Powerbelts no more. Still resulted in more meat in the freezer.

Attachments

• A67750CE-E6AF-480E-95A8-FD9473411BB7.jpg
      A67750CE-E6AF-480E-95A8-FD9473411BB7.jpg
      203.5 KB · Views: 319

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I really enjoy reading your hunting stories.One thing I think you should look out for. I have one small parcel of land that I hunt every year.It mostly holds does and small bucks,but I have killed a couple of nice bucks in the early ML season or during the rut with a bow..One thing I have noticed throughout the years is I can only get 1 or 2 deer out of here per year.Once I disturb the woods with my scent while retrieving the deer,they stop coming through that spot.Except button bucks.....they are here all the time.

Good call. At least in my case with my property, I think they mostly ignore my scent. Now granted I don’t have big bucks coming through all the time, but other than “golden hours” when I try to avoid my side yard when the deer are out there munching on corn or clover (except when I can’t) I don’t stay out of there and the herd comes through on the regular.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

Good call. At least in my case with my property, I think they mostly ignore my scent. Now granted I don’t have big bucks coming through all the time, but other than “golden hours” when I try to avoid my side yard when the deer are out there munching on corn or clover (except when I can’t) I don’t stay out of there and the herd comes through on the regular.

I have a strange piece of property I hunt. I could quite literally go through the woods pissing on things and tearing ass on the 4 wheeler. They will still be out at that corn pile religiously every night around 17:00-17:30. I go over once a week to put corn out and I’m not too shy about it. I don’t think I’ve ever been in the woods hunting and didn’t at least see a deer. Even if I didn’t shoot at it. They are always there.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Those of you who have already filled your freezers, please keep hunting and consider donating a deer or two.....

Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry

https://www.fhfh.org/

"We pay local butcher shops to transform donated deer and livestock into protein-rich meat for food banks and feeding ministries."

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Those of you who have already filled your freezers, please keep hunting and consider donating a deer or two.....

Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry

https://www.fhfh.org/

"We pay local butcher shops to transform donated deer and livestock into protein-rich meat for food banks and feeding ministries."

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I likely will be late season. Donating and hunting I mean. I can use one more for the freezer. After that, it’s getting donated.

Just trying for a nice buck between now and late season. If no luck then I’ll just go for another doe or two.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have a strange piece of property I hunt. I could quite literally go through the woods pissing on things and tearing ass on the 4 wheeler. They will still be out at that corn pile religiously every night around 17:00-17:30. I go over once a week to put corn out and I’m not too shy about it. I don’t think I’ve ever been in the woods hunting and didn’t at least see a deer. Even if I didn’t shoot at it. They are always there.

Heck my corn feeder is me with a couple of empty Folgers containers as scoops for corn tossing it out on my lawn. About 4lbs for two scoops. Every 2-3 days. Half the time deer are out there 5 minutes later if I do it in the later afternoon/evening. Pretty sure they are bedded down about 150-200yds away one my neighbors property and they hear it like dinner bells.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

The spot I hunt is about a 5 acre patch of thick woods.There is zero human traffic or scent in there unless I retrieve a deer.

I can see where the deer are used to seeing and smelling people,they will not be as freaked out when they do.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Had some luck yesterday morning. The Rage 2 Blade was devastating. I butchered her and I have an old fridge in the basement that I rigged up because I don’t have a walk-in. I put two cross pieces of paracord with knots in. I get large hooks with leaders for fishing and tie them onto the paracord and they hold the meat before processing.

On a separate note, when I went to hang her up I noticed this squirrel under my car port pulled inside out.....any idea what animal could have done this?

Attachments

• 5A147184-9233-4D6F-BE03-BA91DE039995.jpg
      5A147184-9233-4D6F-BE03-BA91DE039995.jpg
      106.7 KB · Views: 408
    • 7699ABFD-0AAB-44C6-8317-79EB35BDB317.jpg
      7699ABFD-0AAB-44C6-8317-79EB35BDB317.jpg
      64 KB · Views: 395
    • 33552D71-5080-4048-80F3-C10E376E8831.jpg
      33552D71-5080-4048-80F3-C10E376E8831.jpg
      79.4 KB · Views: 408

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    ^Great solution with the old fridge! I might do this, too.

I'm going to guess either a taxidermist or a fox as the culprit.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Skunked again. Took the day off and had my boy play hooky, but still only thing we saw was what we bumped going in. Heard a couple bucks grunting before sunset, but they never made an appearance.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Had some luck yesterday morning. The Rage 2 Blade was devastating. I butchered her and I have an old fridge in the basement that I rigged up because I don’t have a walk-in. I put two cross pieces of paracord with knots in. I get large hooks with leaders for fishing and tie them onto the paracord and they hold the meat before processing.

On a separate note, when I went to hang her up I noticed this squirrel under my car port pulled inside out.....any idea what animal could have done this?

Hawks will do that. I also saw where vultures or eagles did that with a possum. It was a possum I trapped that had this awful huge wound and I dispatched it, so I left it out in the field, and next day saw 2 bald eagles fly off it, and some vultures hanging around. I went to look at it and was turned inside out with leg bones still attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom