• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    So I applied like everyone else and waited anxiously for any news. On 20181107 I received the following email from the CMP titled "cmp 1911 order acknowledgement"

It stated:

"This email is to notify you that your order has been received and you have been assigned a number through the random number generating process. You will find your number listed below. We will contact you as your order progresses. Please do not contact us at this time.

Your generated number: 1585

Thanks,
    CMP 1911 Program"

After that I waited for several more weeks. From everything I can tell the generated numbers started at 1000 because I have not seen one lower than that. On December 6th I received a phone call late in the afternoon (around 1730) and was told the only option was Service Grade and the cost was $1,050. The next day my credit card was charged, but apparently the CMP does not ship over the weekends because some jackwagon called up UPS and tried to visit one of their holding facilities on a Saturday to pick up the pistol and avoid the FFL process.

Anyways, on Monday December 10th the pistol shipped. The next day my FFL had it and I picked it up. So here is the process broken down:

Sep 4: Order cutoff
    Nov 7: First contact (via email) number assigned
    Dec 6: Phone contact for order placement
    Dec 7: Credit card charged
    Dec 10: Order shipped
    Dec 11: Order arrives at FFL

The pistol ended up being a very nice Remington Rand with a matching slide and frame. I knew right when I opened the box that it was correct as it had a corresponding tag that said: "F. RR SL. RR". The pistol itself is in terrific condition, and looks to never have had a major overhaul. The only things that I could find that were not original about it was that the barrel (a correct High Standard) had been parkerized and was not the original blue. The mainspring housing was also incorrect for a late production Remington Rand. The pistol does however have the original Parkerized finish, made evident by the ghosting marks around the serial number and ordnance acceptance stamp.

Best of luck with your orders.

Matt

Attachments

• C08F7E2C-91CF-4B5C-9795-39FCB445B158.jpg
      C08F7E2C-91CF-4B5C-9795-39FCB445B158.jpg
      108.3 KB · Views: 892
    • 5B1B02DF-AEBD-409E-9D50-F50187128CC3.jpg
      5B1B02DF-AEBD-409E-9D50-F50187128CC3.jpg
      120.2 KB · Views: 907
    • IMG_2624.jpg
      IMG_2624.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 851
    • IMG_2623.jpg
      IMG_2623.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 854
    • IMG_2649.jpg
      IMG_2649.jpg
      121.3 KB · Views: 850
    • IMG_2630.jpg
      IMG_2630.jpg
      66.1 KB · Views: 850
    • IMG_E2644.jpg
      IMG_E2644.jpg
      84.4 KB · Views: 858
    • IMG_2642.jpg
      IMG_2642.jpg
      61.3 KB · Views: 853

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's a very fine looking pistol Sir. Are you planning to shoot it or clean it up and make it a museum piece?

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    I would hang that one up on the wall, or display on my desk. Congrats on owning that.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That pistol is yearning to be shot!

Do it!

I agree. That said, I got put of C&R because I generally hate cleaning guns. A 1911 is unique though because obviously modern, non-corrosive ammo is common. That's unusual for a C&R.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I am mistaken that the CMP would NOT ship these to a 03 holder, but would only ship to an 01 FFL?

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Nice looking pistol.

Crossing my fingers and toes that I get in, but with 19,000 apps for 8,000 guns this year, not good odds. Hope for the best, and hopefully the next batch will be issued to the 11,000 runner ups.

Q

Jul 1, 2012
    Man, you got lucky on that one for sure, much nicer than a "service grade" !
    Incredible that one would slip through all these years with original finish.

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    The horror.

Take that pistol out and run some ball through it.

Don’t get me wrong, I would shoot it it too, not frequently though. I’d want to keep that in the same condition as I received it. Too many other 1911’s out there for that.
    I’d put it on display so others could enjoy it too.

airbornetrooper

Nov 9, 2017
    VA
    That's a very fine looking pistol Sir. Are you planning to shoot it or clean it up and make it a museum piece?

I shoot very few pieces in my collection. Too many trips to the range in my army career to make it enjoyable. Plus I hate cleaning guns (although I always do it lest they lose value). I might buy a blued High Standard barrel and correct main spring housing to correct the changes, but I will keep the originals if I do.

I am mistaken that the CMP would NOT ship these to a 03 holder, but would only ship to an 01 FFL?

Yes the CMP will not ship these to an 03 because of states like New Jersey and California where an 03 is not allowed to receive a pistol. They just went with a blanket approach and mandated 01 FFLs only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom