Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Gravy covered Baboon anyone ?

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yeah, the "subscribed threads" tool is probably as close as I'm going to get to addressing this, though it's still missing the ability to float all of the changed-since-you-checked-last stuff to the top of that list. As a guy who codes behind the scenes guts of web sites, I suppose I'm disposed to hair-splitting on this sort of thing. Thanks, all, for the pointers on the many ways you all skin this particular cat.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What ERuby said . Seriously , it only takes a few seconds to scan . Unless someone revives a necrothread , all the current action will be on first page , occasionally second page . ( I do this the first time I log on each day .)

I was laughing before I read this post, and now I am really laughing. Bigfoot knows how to do this, but Occam doesn't.

Bigfoot, I am sitting here trying to think of the word that you usually use to describe your technological ability and I am coming up with troglodyte and Mennonite, but I know both of those are wrong. So, what is that word? Was it luddite? Anyway, it looks like you have graduated to a higher level. Congrats!!!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hey, I write software that runs some pretty big hairy web sites with a lot more going on than even a complex forum. Half of my reason looking for a single-click query that avoids paging over idle items looking back through time for updates ones is: because I know it’s a common action probably done thousands of times a day, and it’s more efficient to have a canned procedure that has a lighter touch on the underlying database server.

So, this software doesn’t quite get there - that’s fine! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious. No problems here - just have to remember to do a lot of subscribing.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Hey, I write software that runs some pretty big hairy web sites with a lot more going on than even a complex forum. Half of my reason looking for a single-click query that avoids paging over idle items looking back through time for updates ones is: because I know it’s a common action probably done thousands of times a day, and it’s more efficient to have a canned procedure that has a lighter touch on the underlying database server.

So, this software doesn’t quite get there - that’s fine! Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious. No problems here - just have to remember to do a lot of subscribing.

I think there is an option to automatically subscribe to any thread you post in under the user CP. When looking at the list of your subscribed threads, make sure it is sorted by last post, and I think that will get as close as you can to what you want it to do.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Click the search button, type your username in, then hit the search now button. All new activity will be at the top, while threads that had no activity will be listed below the active threads.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Click the search button, type your username in, then hit the search now button. All new activity will be at the top, while threads that had no activity will be listed below the active threads.

Well, that's another way to dig for threads I'm in, but in checking it just now, I don't see any distinction between threads I've already read to completion, and those that have new activity. Alas, neither sorting by date nor relevance float just the updated-since-you-read-them-last threads to the top.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Well, that's another way to dig for threads I'm in, but in checking it just now, I don't see any distinction between threads I've already read to completion, and those that have new activity. Alas, neither sorting by date nor relevance float just the updated-since-you-read-them-last threads to the top.
    If you jumped around that will be the case. Weed through all the bold titles and you'll eventually see where I'm going with it.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Well, I've looked ... and they're all bold by that method, including threads which I've read and which haven't been updated in a long time. So perhaps we're experiencing different search results when searching by name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom