• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So ... it would be really nice to have a link or other tool in my account area that would show me every thread in which I've participated, which has changed since I last looked them. Just too hard to find them all otherwise, and subscribing to them all only works if I'm willing to get email about every change. I don't even see a simple link to list for me all the threads I've subscribed to. Perhaps I've gone forum-blind on both of these. What am I missing?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    What about bookmarking an advanced search result page?

Go to https://www.mdshooters.com/search.php, put your username in the "Search by User Name" field, choose "Your Last Visit" in the "Find Posts From" dropdown. Click search now and then bookmark the result page.

Edit: I realize that doesn't give you the exact functionality you are looking for, but it might be an option if there isn't a forum setting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Clink on yourself , then click on statistics . You then can choose Recent Posts , or Threads started . Each one goes back for 15 pages worth .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Edit: I realize that doesn't give you the exact functionality you are looking for, but it might be an option if there isn't a forum setting.

Yeah, it's just not set up to spare you from having to either wade through a lot of results that do NOT have changes, or forcing you to explore each result to see if there ARE changes. I haven't found a good recipe yet.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Clink on yourself , then click on statistics . You then can choose Recent Posts , or Threads started . Each one goes back for 15 pages worth .

No cigar there, either. You can see your entire commenting or thread starting history, but there's no indication of which of those merit a visit because someone has commented on them since you last visited.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes there is . Threads with unread posts will have the envelope icon with flap open , in orange and yellow . Threads w/o new posts will have flap closed, all in grey .

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    No cigar there, either. You can see your entire commenting or thread starting history, but there's no indication of which of those merit a visit because someone has commented on them since you last visited.

Whenever you hit new posts the first threads you see are the only ones that have been commented on since you last looked

Idk of any way to just Lee track of your own comments being commented on though, but I do see what you mean

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Yes there is . Threads with unread posts will have the envelope icon with flap open , in orange and yellow . Threads w/o new posts will have flap closed, all in grey .

Right, but you still have to dig through ALL of your posts, possibly many pages of them, to find those. Let's say someone has recently commented on a thread I participated in two months ago. Unless I was willing - regularly - to paw through many pages of those listings looking for that altered envelope marker, I'd never know what. If that same display could toggle off/filter for only the updated threads, suppressing the unchanged ones, then we'd be on to something. Close!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You can subscribe to, and enable notifications for, any thread.

Well, sure. But on a thread that starts out busy, that can be pretty intrusive ... so you have to mentally manage the task of NOT doing so while a given thread is on fire, and then later on remembering to take a step to do so.

I guess the point is that it's just a SLIGHTLY different database query (simpler, really) than many that are already supported, and it would actually lighten the load on the server because it would be a one-stop list without nearly so much clicking/paging.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Right, but you still have to dig through ALL of your posts, possibly many pages of them, to find those. Let's say someone has recently commented on a thread I participated in two months ago. Unless I was willing - regularly - to paw through many pages of those listings looking for that altered envelope marker, I'd never know what. If that same display could toggle off/filter for only the updated threads, suppressing the unchanged ones, then we'd be on to something. Close!
    If you use Tapatalk to browse MDS, this functionality is built in (if I understand your request correctly). Under participated threads, the ones with new updates are emboldened, and when you click on them, the app takes you to the update starting from the last post that you read in the thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    If you use Tapatalk to browse MDS, this functionality is built in (if I understand your request correctly). Under participated threads, the ones with new updates are emboldened, and when you click on them, the app takes you to the update starting from the last post that you read in the thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Correct.
    Apparently Tapatalk has an APP for Windows.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Threads you've commented in have a little black dot on the little envelope icon...

Some of us just have a wornout spot on our touch screens where the "New Posts" button resides:innocent0

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I hate to resort to the app-based visiting (I'm usually dropping in via desktop browser in between other sitting-on-my-ass tasks). Definitely a frustrating shortcoming of the platform.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    No apps needed: Click "New Posts" scroll through and click the double chevron buttons next to the thread titles. This takes you to the first new post since you last read the thread. Like Art said, any thread you've commented in has a black dot on the envelope.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    So ... it would be really nice to have a link or other tool in my account area that would show me every thread in which I've participated, which has changed since I last looked them. Just too hard to find them all otherwise, and subscribing to them all only works if I'm willing to get email about every change. I don't even see a simple link to list for me all the threads I've subscribed to. Perhaps I've gone forum-blind on both of these. What am I missing?

In the upper right hand corner when using a desktop click on the links tab (between search and log out), then click on "subscribed threads" option 3rd from the bottom. That will open your subscribed threads and show you ones that have been commented in.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What ERuby said . Seriously , it only takes a few seconds to scan . Unless someone revives a necrothread , all the current action will be on first page , occasionally second page . ( I do this the first time I log on each day .)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom