• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Idk what's worse. Having leftover parts or not enough. :D

First Master Mechanic/shop owner I worked with, had a saying/joke -

A Good Mechanic, has no parts left over when they're done. A GREAT Mechanic, can have all kinds of shit left over when they're done - and it still works as designed.

I always preferred to have everything go back in it's place.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    First Master Mechanic/shop owner I worked with, had a saying/joke -

A Good Mechanic, has no parts left over when they're done. A GREAT Mechanic, can have all kinds of shit left over when they're done - and it still works as designed.

I always preferred to have everything go back in it's place.

No saying for the mechanic who doesn't have enough left to finish the job? Usually means there's a nut or bolt hiding where it can't be found. Hopefully NOT inside an engine. :ohnoes:

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Took an East German Makarov apart once . Fortunate I'd watched a few you tube videos about it before hand. Won't see me make that mistake again.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    This is why they make gun solvent in aerosol cans.

I was once told the idea of dipping your Firearm in a bucket of cleaner does fall under the heading of proper maintain but I have soaked a few Mosin-Nagants to get the cosmoline out. Besides I like puzzles :rolleyes:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No saying for the mechanic who doesn't have enough left to finish the job? Usually means there's a nut or bolt hiding where it can't be found. Hopefully NOT inside an engine. :ohnoes:

There is one, and it's short and to the point - "Dumbass". :)

*And I can honestly say I've done just that. First engine swap I'd done in close to 20 years, 5.4 3-valve in an Expedition. Set the engine in, had everything buttoned up underneath and was working up top - still had the intake off. There's an 8mm bolt that holds a ground strap to the back of the pass. cylinder head - I had a case of butterfingers and dropped it down the intake port, that was a TOTAL pain in the ass to fish out of the combustion chamber.

After that, I always taped off the intake ports when I pulled an intake off. And had a magnetic tray handy for those little freaking bolts/nuts that like to disappear.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    There is one, and it's short and to the point - "Dumbass". :)

*And I can honestly say I've done just that. First engine swap I'd done in close to 20 years, 5.4 3-valve in an Expedition. Set the engine in, had everything buttoned up underneath and was working up top - still had the intake off. There's an 8mm bolt that holds a ground strap to the back of the pass. cylinder head - I had a case of butterfingers and dropped it down the intake port, that was a TOTAL pain in the ass to fish out of the combustion chamber.

After that, I always taped off the intake ports when I pulled an intake off. And had a magnetic tray handy for those little freaking bolts/nuts that like to disappear.

Yeah, but the point is you knew you dropped it and you retrieved it.
    I remember my first dealership job. First week, some dude is putting a 4.3 in a blazer. He starts it up and it makes a hellacious noise so he shuts it off real quick. This is after he spent 2 hours looking for a valve cover bolt before going to parts for a new one.....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yeah, but the point is you knew you dropped it and you retrieved it.
    I remember my first dealership job. First week, some dude is putting a 4.3 in a blazer. He starts it up and it makes a hellacious noise so he shuts it off real quick. This is after he spent 2 hours looking for a valve cover bolt before going to parts for a new one.....

Ouch. Warranty!! :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom