• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    A friend gave me some Winchester Super Handicap recently. I’ve read about this powder being useable for handgun loads. For the record, I currently use some shotgun powders for handgun loads.

For the life of me, I cannot find any handgun load data for this powder (including my Hornady, Lee, and Lyman books). There are various posts on forums where someone knows someone who uses it with Green Dot load data, but I’m not that trusting.

On the powder burn rate charts, this powder falls right between Trail Boss and Hodgdon International, both of which have many handgun load recipes.

Does anyone have experience using Winchester Super Handicap for handgun reloading?

I’m thinking about experimenting with Trail Boss and Hodgdon International load recipes, but I’m not sure if the Winchester powder is more or less dense than the other two. My thought is a less dense powder will take up more volume in the case, which will increase pressure even though burn rates are the same.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I haven’t used Trail Boss before. I picked up reloading at the wrong time (2013) and powder selection was rather slim.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    It is so bulky, that the one pound jug only weighs like 10 oz.. I wouldn't try using trail boss as a method to compare anything

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Powder volume does not change the pressure significantly, it is still mostly air space.

Trail Boss is mainly for subsonic rifle rounds.

Hodgdon, who sells Winchester powders does not list any handgun uses for Super Handicap. Therefore, I would not try using it in any handgun rounds. Find someone who wants it for shotgun use.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    What does that mean, volume doesn't change pressure? I'm not sure I follow. If I set up my powder measure to a certain size, say same volume as a 45 colt case. Fill the volume with bullseye then fill that same volume with H1000 and load in a case, pressure will be very different.

I've mostly known trailboss for cowboy action shooting. Fills the case, but low speed recoil loads.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Having one powder that fills the case versus one that does not, the amount of the case filled is not a factor in the pressure.

This is what the OP stated:

but I’m not sure if the Winchester powder is more or less dense than the other two. My thought is a less dense powder will take up more volume in the case, which will increase pressure even though burn rates are the same.

Yes, filling the case with Bullseye would be a problem. But not because the case is full, but because that is WAY too much Bullseye.

Trail Boss is WAY different.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Thank you all for your help. I called Hodgdon and they informed me that yes, this powder is in-between the two powders I listed, but Winchester Super Handicap yields inconsistent results and is best used in shotguns. Time to fire up the Lee Load All.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom