• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My first two Glock's are Gen 2, a G19 and a G17. They are both about 20 years old. They both have the hogue handall grips that were put on 20 years ago. They haven't slipped, shifted, or degraded. I never used dish soap to install them, simply fought them into place through lots of small pulls. Maybe the Hogue grips were made different 20 years ago but they have been flawless in all weather with many thousands of rounds fired through both guns.

I used the hogue grips on my G17 for several years on patrol... In the end, it started slipping around so badly that I stopped using them completely. I never used the dish soap method of installing the grip. If I ever use them again, I'll use the adhesive which is used to keep the grips in place on motorcycle handlebars. That way I can be confident of the grip staying in place.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I used the hogue grips on my G17 for several years on patrol... In the end, it started slipping around so badly that I stopped using them completely. I never used the dish soap method of installing the grip. If I ever use them again, I'll use the adhesive which is used to keep the grips in place on motorcycle handlebars. That way I can be confident of the grip staying in place.

Mine did that on my Glock 23 after a few years. I have em for my Hi Power and 226 as well. I use em mainly in the winter for when I'm wearing gloves and the extra grip helps. But when I CCW the 226 I use the standard grips because the sticky hogues tend to stick to my clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I guess I don't understand what stippling is. I thought it was just putting little bumps in the plastic to give it more grip
    yes, It's nothing more than what the manufacturer does when they try to make a grip surface tacky...

Example:

F1HKUSPC40b.jpg

Factory grip surfaces are usually subtle and not as aggressive therefor users chose to go with aftermarket stippling. Here is an example of a professional job that I had done on a couple of M&Ps, and they do feel nice in hand, big improvement over factory. It all boils down to personal preference.

M&Pc

IMG_6206
    by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr

Shield

IMG_6184

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I buy pistols that I like out of the box. But that's just me.

Ha, I'm sure that your not alone..... But the topic is about customizing that pistol that you like out of the box to your specific needs. Remember that the manufacturer made these guns to fit a broad group and not a specific individual, that's where the term customization comes in..... Every pistol I've owned I liked out of the box, but does that mean they can't be improved, causing me to like them even more?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    yes, It's nothing more than what the manufacturer does when they try to make a grip surface tacky...

Example:

F1HKUSPC40b.jpg

Factory grip surfaces are usually subtle and not as aggressive therefor users chose to go with aftermarket stippling. Here is an example of a professional job that I had done on a couple of M&Ps, and they do feel nice in hand, big improvement over factory. It all boils down to personal preference.

M&Pc

IMG_6206

Shield

IMG_6184

The difference being that factory stippled frames are formed that way in the molding process under controlled conditions. The polymer is heated and injected into the mold where it is forced into the shape as designed.

While after market stippling is a highly variable process without control over the alteration of the polymer properties.

Heating a small portion of the outside, to cause the stippling can create an altered and brittle surface. It also creates small fissures which can develop into larger cracks with time and flexation of the surface.

Stress cracks are well known problems in metals and plastics. They develop in any area where the surface has irregularities. I do not and will not trust after manufacturer heated and altered polymer framed pistols. But, if others do trust them... Enjoy it while it lasts...

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    The difference being that factory stippled frames are formed that way in the molding process under controlled conditions. The polymer is heated and injected into the mold where it is forced into the shape as designed.

While after market stippling is a highly variable process without control over the alteration of the polymer properties.

Heating a small portion of the outside, to cause the stippling can create an altered and brittle surface. It also creates small fissures which can develop into larger cracks with time and flexation of the surface.

Stress cracks are well known problems in metals and plastics. They develop in any area where the surface has irregularities. I do not and will not trust after manufacturer heated and altered polymer framed pistols. But, if others do trust them... Enjoy it while it lasts...

Yes, I believe anything CAN happen. I also believe that the depth of the stipple is relevant too. My H&K USP Compact has a small crack on the polymer ((no alterations) so I wouldn't put anything past any material. If it breaks I will simply acquire another one or part it out.. I guess if you just have one pistol this might not be a wise choice.

Either way I think stippling is here to stay, and I have yet to hear wide spread issues with stippled guns failing (it can happen, it's a non issue). Seems that a lot of professional instructors use stippled guns with great success (Agency, ZEV, Robar and Salient), and my guns have never been abused to the degree that I see these guys abusing their guns. Furthermore if you go through reputable companies that I previously mentioned they will probably make things right if their workmanship caused the failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom