• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I recently acquired a nice addition to the stable (Rem 700 VS in .308) and I am trying to find out any information about the glass hanging off the top of it. I know this much about it...

1) It is a U S Optics...

2) It is marked from "50" yards graduated up to "1000" yards and "∞"...

3) It is a fixed 10 X optic...

image.jpg

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Take off the sun shades an read the model numbers.

Thank you sir, I was a bit hesitant to do that since I don't want to twist anything the wrong way and cause a problem. I believe that it is circa 2005 or close to and I do not know how long the shades have been attached. But I shall try... :thumbsup:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Okay...

I pulled the dust covers off and the only marking I can find is on the back of the front tube where the distance gradations are marked.

There is a "US OPTICS #1" at the base of the tube.

And on the top just forward of the diopter adjust there is a directional marking to indicate which way to turn the adjustment for close or distance focus.

So I sezs to da lady wid da wooden leg... "Peggy... Ya got me stumped..." :shrug:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Look under the turret housing and see if any numbers are stamped there.

US Optics is an outstanding company for customer service and if you can find and S/N, they will give you configuration info.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Look under the turret housing and see if any numbers are stamped there.

US Optics is an outstanding company for customer service and if you can find and S/N, they will give you configuration info.

Thank you sir... :thumbsup:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    From the pic you posted, looks like there already is a problem. The shade is either bent or cross threaded.

I know that... I don't want to make matters worse by twisting on things when I'm not sure how they go together... Which is why I'm looking for information on the subject.

ETA: Thanks for the replies...

USOPTICS Model ST-10
    1/4 MOA knobs
    Manufactured in 2002
    4" sunshade with grid filter...

Last edited:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I don't want to make matters worse by twisting on things when I'm not sure how they go together./QUOTE]

Lefty Lucy, Righty Tighty. :innocent0 Iffn that don't work take out the ballpeen and test their warranty.;)

Yes... I did confirm the thread direction with the very nice young lady who answered my call and provided her cell phone #. Now I must find a way to grip the sun shade and the objective to remove the sun shade without doing any damage to either. I am thinking maybe a pair of strap wrenches to get them loose and start turning.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes... I did confirm the thread direction with the very nice young lady who answered my call and provided her cell phone #. Now I must find a way to grip the sun shade and the objective to remove the sun shade without doing any damage to either. I am thinking maybe a pair of strap wrenches to get them loose and start turning.

If you haven't already, I'd start with bare digits, then move on to tools.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Update:

It wasn't bent... It was slightly cross threaded. I was finally able to get the sunshade off of the objective by using a Harbor Freight oil filter wrench. The one that is basically a rubber band with a torque handle. It took a bit of force to get it to turn for the first few threads, but then it broke loose and came off easily.

Then after I cleaned the threads and checked for bent parts... I threaded it back on straight and it is fine now.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom