• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blake_7.62

Oct 17, 2010
    You should have turned the interrogation on her and asked how many sex toys she has in her nightstand……or what her favorite sexual positions are……when she gets all offended just go "oh, my bad, none of my business huh."

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You should have turned the interrogation on her and asked how many sex toys she has in her nightstand……or what her favorite sexual positions are……when she gets all offended just go "oh, my bad, none of my business huh."

Yeah, that's a real good idea. :rolleyes:

She thinks she is doing a good job because that is what she has been taught to do. She never gave it a second thought. May try to educate rather than humiliate. Makes the gun community look like a bunch of douche bags when you take the above approach.

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    If I have to put an answer to the gun question in my patient's charts, the government will be amazed at the lack of gun ownership among my patient population. I will do what I have been telling everyone to do when confronted with this question.

"Just say no".

I'm confused, the government is requiring DRs to ask this question??

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick

She thinks she is doing a good job because that is what she has been taught to do. She never gave it a second thought. May try to educate rather than humiliate. Makes the gun community look like a bunch of douche bags when you take the above approach.

OK, how about this then. Known of your F@@k!ng business. Personally don't care what the douche bag thinks of me. Guess what I think of her....

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Several years ago a doctor asked me if I owned a firearm.

I asked him if he owned a prescription pad and thought himself responsible enough to handle such a responsibility.

The conversation was over.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm confused, the government is requiring DRs to ask this question??
    Not that I am aware of.
    OK, how about this then. Known of your F@@k!ng business. Personally don't care what the douche bag thinks of me. Guess what I think of her....
    :thumbsup: Awesome.

This is a 1A issue. Doctor's are private businesses (for the most part). They can run their business as they see fit. You can tell them what you think by taking your business elsewhere. You can be civil about it. It is not for me to tell you how to live your life, but I respect that people have a right an opinion contrary to mine. There is no reason to be rude or disrespectful. Again, that is just me.

Blake_7.62

Oct 17, 2010

There's no re-educating the true believers.

DimaK

May 15, 2012
    Patients get asked some pretty personal questions routinely in healthcare. They get asked if they have sex with men, women, or both, if they use condoms, use illegal drugs, whether they have been to prison, how much money they make monthly, etc, etc. These questions are usually pertinent to health in some way. They are not meant to offend or judge. Patients are free to ask why these questions are being asked and free to decline to answer or to tell a lie. You are not under oath.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    You have to remember that doctors don't know that your a responsible guy. I am a firefighter and every time we do a kid's birthday, we ask about smoke alarms, People don't have them.

DimaK

May 15, 2012

100% agree here.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Preface: Not all the quoted text can be expected to be 100% accurate, and is merely an approximate representation of the conversation. Take it as such.

Not 30 minutes ago, I got home from a doctor appointment as a new patient. I was looking for a new family doctor, and it had taken me over 30 days to get seen by this new practice.

Most of the visit was regular stuff - height, weight, smoke: yes/no, drink: yes/no, medical history, that sort of thing, but then the doctor came in, she started asking me "safety" related questions, like, "Do you have a smoke detector in your home?'

"Well, why do you need to know that? Is there something in a smoke detector that pertains to my immediate health?"

"Well, we're just going to be asking you some safety related questions [or something like that] to see if you're being safe at home, like, do you own any firearms?"

I play dumb. "Why do you want to know about my firearms? Is this for some kind of survey? Who ordered you to ask these questions."

"Well, sir, we just want to know if you're being safe [something, something] at-risk behaviors."

"This interview is terminated. I'm sorry but I'm leaving, now."

"Do you keep them locked up in a safe or secure container? How many firearms do you own?"

"I'm very sorry, but this interview is terminated right now, and I will not be coming back."

"Well I'm very sorry if I offended you. We're just asking you these questions to determine risky behaviors and get an idea for [something, something, don't remember] So, you want to just go ahead and end this, right now? Can I at least examine you?"

At this point, I told her that if I was going to stand up for what I believed in, I had to leave, and that she had just lost a paying customer (or something like that). I remembered that she (or the aid) had also asked me if my child lived at home with me. My blood ran cold. All the hair stood up on the back of my neck. I was suddenly in the lion's den. I was staring evil and tyranny straight in the eyes, and it was a little, gray haired female doctor in Leonardtown.

The warning signs:

1. She kept asking questions even after I stated that I wished to terminate my relationship with the facility.
    2. She was evasive when persuaded to reveal her reasons for asking.
    3. THEY ASKED ME IF MY CHILD LIVED AT HOME WITH ME.:mad54:

MEDSTAR PHYSICIAN PARTNERS
    JAMES C. BOYD, MD
    MARIE TARLETON, CRNP
    DEBRA HUNT, PhD, ARNP-BC
    41680 MISS BESSIE DR
    SUITE 301
    LEONARDTOWN, MD, 20650
    (301) 997-0055

If you're currently a patient, SWITCH, and MAKE SURE and tell them WHY you're switching. If you're thinking about going there, DON'T. Or, you could just give them a call and tell them why they're never getting your business.

I applaud your stand and your convictions.

But....by doing so, you gave them the info they were looking for.

If it were me, I would have looked her right in the eye, and as casually as I could, I would nonchalantly lie, lie, lie. I would be the perfect sheeple.

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    You have to remember that doctors don't know that your a responsible guy. I am a firefighter and every time we do a kid's birthday, we ask about smoke alarms, People don't have them.

Smoke alarms are related to Fires and fire prevention. How is gun ownership related to health? I don't see anything similar here.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Smoke alarms are related to Fires and fire prevention. How is gun ownership related to health? I don't see anything similar here.

The misguided theory is that doctors should council people on absolutely anything that could hurt them. You would be amazed at how dumb people are in general and many "common sense" things they don't think about. I personally don't feel I am here to save you from yourself.

DimaK

May 15, 2012

I think the concern is that some people are irresponsible with their firearms and this can lead to injuries?

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    My specialty (orthopeadics) organization is hinting that part or the new "meaningful" use part of the electronic record is going to require us to ask. We are fighting that. The EMR systems have a spot.for firearms, smoke detectors, heroine, etc...As time goes on all EMRs will talk to each other. However the provider can limit what gets shared. I follow teratos' method. Just say no.

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md
    The misguided theory is that doctors should council people on absolutely anything that could hurt them. You would be amazed at how dumb people are in general and many "common sense" things they don't think about. I personally don't feel I am here to save you from yourself.

Understood but not sure how much my DR knows about firearms. Regardless I agree with the folks that say just don't answer the question if you don't want to answer.

To be honest if I got asked that I would answer the question and not think another thing of it. The state already knows about my guns because they all required a wait.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom