• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I saw a strange 301 number ring my mobile telephone this morning, and when I picked up I was greeted by Senator Middleton. We spoke for about half an hour on the letters I had sent, and we had a good discussion. Below is what I learned, and I hope it will help us. Not all of what I say is straight from the horse's mouth, but some of it is. I'm just posting what I got out of it.

Written/typed letters are effective!: After the phone call, I was scratching my head as to how he got my number... but I remembered that I signed all of my letters that I mailed to my senators and delegates by hand, and wrote my cell number beneath. While e-mails are quick and easy, a lot of these representatives are old school, and on top of that written letters must cross their desk and be filed. He obviously read my letter because many points I brought up were discussed during our conversation.

We have a fight! WE HAVE NOT LOST!: Sen. Middleton explained that he and other "moderate democrats" are fully opposed to anti-gun bills, and will vote against it once it comes to the floor for a vote. He has given me a short list of people (which I will name below), especially in SOMD, that need to be contacted. There are plenty of senators that have not made up their mind or could be persuaded to go the other way. He said that 25 votes are needed for a "favorable committee", and it is still possible to add amendments or otherwise change the minds of some senators. He is attending a meeting with other democrats on Monday that are opposed to or at least are debating opposing this bill.

Threatening to vote/campaign against representatives may be mffective, but is risky: HOWEVER, he said something to the effect of "not to chastise you, but you are trying to convince people to agree with you so harsh language such as that may hurt you." I see where he's coming from, but I can't help but wonder if this helped persuade him to give me a ring...

The Senate will likely vote on Thursday: It should be introduced as early as Monday but because of the processes at work it will most likely not receive its full vote on the floor until Thursday, Feb. 28th.

List of people I was advised to put pressure on:

- C. Anthony Muse - To those of you who listened to the JPC amending SB281 should know that he was waffling. Honestly I believe he can be persuaded to go against Frosh and O'Malley on this, he expressed many concerns and seemed like he had to be persuaded by Frosh on everything. Let's give him enough reasons to oppose this bill that he'll have a backbone and vote against it! I personally agree that MH reform is VERY important, and should focus on TREATING people affected by it. Making it "more illegal" for them to have guns won't do a thing.

- Jim Brochin - I know he's not our strongest ally, but again during the JPC he seemed to at least be in a position where he could be swayed against supporting this bill. Light him up!

- Mike Miller - Sen. Middleton advised me that he is definitely someone who could be "on our side" with enough support. Make it so.

Be nice and appreciative when you speak to your Senator!: It honestly blew me away to get a personal phone call from Senator Middleton. I thanked him for taking time out of his schedule to consult with me. At the beginning of the call, he apologized for not calling sooner. He really strikes me as a good guy. Despite most of our reps being Democrats, they're not all libtard statists. It's the reality of Maryland, and the sooner we realize that and work with these people I think the better off we'll be.

Anyway... I hope this sheds some light on Senator Middleton's positions, and inspires you all to continue to contact YOUR representatives. Write letters and call, it works much more effectively than e-mails. It made me feel like the time and effort into fighting this crap is paying off. We can't back off now! Don't be rude or condescending... We need to focus on the people that can be persuaded, and our actual reps, and we might win this fight yet.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    That is cool. I never received a single so much as EMAIL reply from anyone on the SJPC, including my own Senator (Jacobs).

I was polite and short. Dunno, they're 95% D-bags, so it's hard to tell who will reply.....when.

Dec 31, 2012
    Interesting that he brought up voting/campaigning against seated officials.
    Maybe he got wind of the DINO movement or had you specifically said something akin to that in your letter?
    Hit'em where they sit and they'll get worried.

I agree 100% with you on mental health issues. We should be treating people with health issues not punishing them. Treatment is preventative, punishment doesn't bring anyone back after the fact.

Thank you for the efforts you have made, you've obviously got a foot in the door.

Dec 31, 2012
    Despite most of our reps being Democrats, they're not all libtard statists. It's the reality of Maryland, and the sooner we realize that and work with these people I think the better off we'll be.

This, this, and more of this :thumbsup:

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Despite most of our reps being Democrats, they're not all libtard statists.

A quick look at their voting records will demonstrate that the number of Md dems that fit the above characterization is a VERY VERY short list.....more of an anomoly actually

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    That is cool. I never received a single so much as EMAIL reply from anyone on the SJPC, including my own Senator (Jacobs).

I was polite and short. Dunno, they're 95% D-bags, so it's hard to tell who will reply.....when.

I've talked to jacobs almost everyday on facebook. she answers my questions, and gives breaking news faster than msi or the nra. you should try it.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm not "on" Facebook.

you should try it.

you know how you are sending emails and not getting answers?

you post on their facebook wall and 100s of people see them either lie or ignore you. it makes for very transparent communication.

there is also this war of public opinion being waged by the media on facebook and other social sites. they are mistly being hammered by pro 2a people, but more would help. the media needs to know that we are on to them. they are actually a bigger enemy, as they shape the opinions of the ignorant and low information voters

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    Excellent intel, smores -- Thanks!

I've followed the wise suggestions from Sen Middleton and penned personalized letters to Miller, Muse and Brochin, and dropped them in snail mail today. Added the letter from Cato as well as my own thwarted testimony from the 6th. Let's hope they land with an audible thunk. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Same here, no emails from SJC, and I live Forehand's districts.

Her ink dried out and her quill pen broke. That's why nothing from Forehand.

I have received back numerous emails from Senators and Delegates. Many, of course, are the cookie cut "We must do everything to save the children" garbage. But others have expressed great disdain for this gun grab bill stating that they have received thousands of emails and letters and hundreds of phone calls from those that oppose the Governors bill. These emails have come from both Republican and Democratic leaders. So all is not lost.

We must keep fighting, keep writing, keep calling, keep up the pressure.

Paul

Nov 12, 2008
    SoMD
    Thanks for that information. I guess since email is easier to send it's also easier for them to ignore.

sfchoffman

Full Battle Rattle
    Feb 18, 2013
    I got an email back from Mrs. Jacobs. She is a no on all gun ban legislation. On the other hand I have sent two emails to Mr. Rudolph and I have yet to hear anything from him. Im gonna see if he has a facebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom