Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old November 26th, 2021, 11:26 AM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope414 View Post
I don`t know if this was brought up if it has I please point me to the thread..what do you think would happen in states that are May issue(No Issue) if the NY law is struck and Shall Issue becomes law..would they recognize residents with non-res permits from other states and give a timeframe to apply for a resident LTC?.. If struck there will be a floodgate opened that states like NY,NJ & MD unable to process applications in a timely manner..Thoughts?
Simple answer. no.

I highly doubt that SCOTUS will write the opinion in a way that will require states to recognize out of state permits.

However, I am aware of at least 4 lawsuits being prepared to be filed as soon as SCOTUS releases their opinion to push the issue of reciprocity.

The states that will be sued in multiple different circuit courts to hopefully produce a circuit split will be the states that are the worst offenders of reciprocity. Such states as CA, HI, OR, IL, MD, MA, D.C. NY, NJ, FL, etc…

Don’t look for nationwide reciprocity until either the courts rule it so, or until republicans have a national Trifecta again.
Texasgrillchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2021, 11:29 AM #32
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasgrillchef View Post
or until republicans have a national Trifecta again.
Don't count on it. The republicans screwed the pooch the first 2 years of the Trump administration.

The courts are the answer.
Old November 26th, 2021, 11:31 AM #33
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Simple answer. no.

I highly doubt that SCOTUS will write the opinion in a way that will require states to recognize out of state permits.

However, I am aware of at least 4 lawsuits being prepared to be filed as soon as SCOTUS releases their opinion to push the issue of reciprocity.

The states that will be sued in multiple different circuit courts to hopefully produce a circuit split will be the states that are the worst offenders of reciprocity. Such states as CA, HI, OR, IL, MD, MA, D.C. NY, NJ, FL, etc…

Don’t look for nationwide reciprocity until either the courts rule it so, or until republicans have a national Trifecta again.
If carry outside the home is established as a right, reciprocity will be necessary. I cannot be deprived of my 1A right because I went to West Virginia to see my sister. The 2A is no different. Those cases will be quick.
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2021, 12:30 PM #34
Confederate Jew

Confederate Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
If carry outside the home is established as a right, reciprocity will be necessary. I cannot be deprived of my 1A right because I went to West Virginia to see my sister sister/mother. The 2A is no different. Those cases will be quick.
Fixed, for West Virginia
Old November 26th, 2021, 12:32 PM #35
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
Fixed, for West Virginia
People don't need to know I go for conjugal visits. I am my own grandfather.
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2021, 02:02 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigoes View Post
Don't count on it. The republicans screwed the pooch the first 2 years of the Trump administration.

The courts are the answer.
You maybe right about that, but we have to get a trifecta first, and that’s much easier said then done sadly.

We might regain control of the Senate in 2022, but I doubt we will of the house.
Old November 26th, 2021, 02:05 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by teratos View Post
If carry outside the home is established as a right, reciprocity will be necessary. I cannot be deprived of my 1A right because I went to West Virginia to see my sister. The 2A is no different. Those cases will be quick.
I agree with you 100% however it will of course take a few legal battles sadly to force some states to do so.

Most other states are slowly jumping on the bandwagon of reciprocity for all other states by either passing constitutional carry, or recognizing all other permits.

South Carolina for example still has a constitutional carry bill that’s still alive, as well as a bill to recognize all other states LTC’s
Old November 26th, 2021, 02:10 PM #38
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

Quote:
You maybe right about that, but we have to get a trifecta first, and that’s much easier said then done sadly.

We might regain control of the Senate in 2022, but I doubt we will of the house.
Control of the senate and filibuster-proof control of the senate are two different things. We ain't gonna see 60+ seats there any time soon. Only way to get Ds in the senate to play ball is to use an R majority in the house (and an R executive) to make them completely beholden to playing nice with the Rs in the senate if they want any shiny budget toys at all. But they've already shown a willingness to throw their entire (toxic anyway, let's face it) agenda under the buss if they can claim procedural (ie, filibuster) victories that frustrate the conservatives on:

1) Abortion
2) Guns

Bonus Pyrrhic Victories:

3) Taxes
4) Regulation
5) Screwing with R-appointed Judges/Justices
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2021, 02:12 PM #39
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Quote:

The republicans are good sniping the Democrats.

The Republicans forgot how to govern though.
Old November 26th, 2021, 02:21 PM #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam View Post
Control of the senate and filibuster-proof control of the senate are two different things. We ain't gonna see 60+ seats there any time soon. Only way to get Ds in the senate to play ball is to use an R majority in the house (and an R executive) to make them completely beholden to playing nice with the Rs in the senate if they want any shiny budget toys at all. But they've already shown a willingness to throw their entire (toxic anyway, let's face it) agenda under the buss if they can claim procedural (ie, filibuster) victories that frustrate the conservatives on:

1) Abortion
2) Guns

Bonus Pyrrhic Victories:

3) Taxes
4) Regulation
5) Screwing with R-appointed Judges/Justices
I was trying to be a little sarcastic there… sadly I doubt we will get a Trifecta control anytime soon. Control as far as being able to pass what we want, without the democrats being able to do much to stop it. Which like I was saying isn’t going to be anytime soon.

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Tags
bruen, nysrpa