Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old November 16th, 2021, 10:23 AM #1

shotgun/straight walled cartridges: what are you using?

I moved from out of state to Montgomery county and seen the deer hunting regs require either shotgun or straight-walled cartridges.

If I'm understanding the regs, a handgun needs minimum of 6" barrel and generated 700 ft-lb energy at muzzle. If straight walled in rifle, needs 1200 ft-lb energy at muzzle?

So what are you guys using? I don't have anything that meets the requirements. I don't care for recoil of slug guns.

I don't think a 6" barrel 357 mag will make the energy requirements, correct? So I'll be looking at 41mag or 44mag handgun.

Being southpaw, not sure of my rifle options.
leomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 10:38 AM #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomort View Post
I moved from out of state to Montgomery county and seen the deer hunting regs require either shotgun or straight-walled cartridges.

If I'm understanding the regs, a handgun needs minimum of 6" barrel and generated 700 ft-lb energy at muzzle. If straight walled in rifle, needs 1200 ft-lb energy at muzzle?

So what are you guys using? I don't have anything that meets the requirements. I don't care for recoil of slug guns.

I don't think a 6" barrel 357 mag will make the energy requirements, correct? So I'll be looking at 41mag or 44mag handgun.

Yes, a 6" barrel 357 mag or 16" 357 mag will meet the requirements.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

Corbon, Underwood, and some others make 357 hunting loads that will meet the energy requirements.
camo556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 10:56 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo556 View Post
Yes, a 6" barrel 357 mag or 16" 357 mag will meet the requirements.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

Corbon, Underwood, and some others make 357 hunting loads that will meet the energy requirements.
This. It’s a little easier to do with a 6-8” .357 handgun to make 700ft-lbs. several loads will. 16-20” rifle in .357 is harder. Only a couple of factory loads will get you there. Buffalo bore also has a 158gr XTP load that’ll get to about 1300ft-lbs out of a 16”.

Hand loading is a bit easier to get there. Lil gun can get you there with heavier bullets. If I remember correctly H110 will with lighter bullets.

Sure, it barely meets the minimum, but the minimums are kind of overkill anyway. Out of a rifle, a heavier 357 will do just fine on deer to 100yds. Which is past the distance most can hunt in Maryland unless you’ve got farm fields to hunt.

If you DID think you’d be hunting big open spaces, I’d go 44 magnum rifle or 450 bushmaster. Either of those can handle 200yds just fine. 41 magnum probably could also, but I am less familiar with loading that cartridge.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 10:56 AM #4

Quote:

Your handgun barrel length and handgun/rifle muzzle energy specs are correct for Maryland as mentioned.

350 Legend is a straight wall that has gotten a lot of press since its intro a couple of years ago. I have no personal experience with the cartridge. It is available in a number of platforms, is said to typically have recoil akin to or somewhat less than .243 Winchester, and will have energy that typically surpasses the .30-30 Winchester cartridge. Just comparison to a couple of familiar and traditional deer cartridges, as neither .243 nor .30-30 are straight wall of course.

If you're looking for a lefty bolt action, Savage makes one in their Axis offering. There may be others now as well.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 11:12 AM #5

Ive been hunting all year with 350 legend. Recoil is subjective, it has the same recoil as 30-30, 7.62x39, 300 blk etc. Perception depends on your loadout. If you rifle is 20lbs, there is no recoil lol. I've killed 5 deer now with it, plan to kill a bunch more. I have started a few threads on it. I like it, but semi auto rifles can be finicky (depends who makes it and whether they have figured out to use a proper feed ramp). Bolts are pretty reliable.

If its for this season, on public lands (no crop damage permit etc) I would go with what you have now. Hunting ammo is between scarce and unobtanium and the firearms season starts the 28th. If you order ammo online today, you might get it by next monday. By the time you get a new rifle*, get ammo shipped, get it sighted in, you may or may not make it for the 28th. Your odds of killing something drop precipitously after the 1st day when the orange army files into the woods.

So if you have a 357 mag, or 44 mag, yeet it.

If its for next year, different situation.

*new pistol requires HQL and 7 day wait. Unless you have your HQL you wont make day 1.
camo556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 11:18 AM #6

I have been using 450 bUshmaster with great results. I hear good things about 350 legend but have no personal experience. They are tough to find but Henry does make a single shot option in both calibers that would fit the need of a south paw.
Old November 16th, 2021, 11:51 AM #7

Most of the folks I recently hunted with in Delaware have switched to 450, iirc. A couple to the 350.

Being shotgun only until fairly recently, it’s a switch. Some folks haven’t decided to make the move yet. For me, it’s money and the fact in only hunt 2-3 days of year. No longer an instate hunter there.

If I were still there, I’d probably invest in one, but being that we hunt woods, thick pines, quite a bit, I’d probably have both near by on hunt days. That and deer drives … quick sighting on moving targets. Still keeps the shotguns in rotation.

Landowner says Buckshot only on drives.
delaware_export is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 12:23 PM #8

Yeah, getting use to each states game laws can take some time. When I use to hunt in PA, semiauto (rifle and handgun) were illegal to hunt with, not sure if that's changed since I left.

In Indiana, straight wall cartridges were allowed and the 358 hoosier was develop for the legal requirements. They were debating whether to allow high power rifles when I left. I had 44mag Ruger Redhawk stainless with 5.5" barrel that I sold to person who wanted it more than I did. I think Indiana require 5" barrel on their handguns to be hunted.

I only have 4" barrel 357mag GP100, but have all the reloading components for it. So cheapest route maybe to purchase 6" barrel 357mag.
leomort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 12:48 PM #9
Short Round

Short Round

Quote:

For my pistol Magnum Research BFR 7.5" revolver barrel .500 S&W magnum w/ 370 grain WFNGC Hard Cast at over 1600 FPS

For my Rifle 45/70 w/ 300 1800 FPS, 325 1900 FPS or 350 grain LFNGC hard cast at 1700FPS

Was at MASR yesterday shot 60 rounds of .500 S&W at 25 and 50 yards all within center mass free hand no rest or stick.

South paw also hence the revolver
Harrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2021, 03:47 PM #10

350 legend is basically 357 Max, but without the rim.

I’d really love to get a threaded lever gun rechambered for Max
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports