• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    I am looking for recommendations for a shotgun for turkey shoots. The kind where you get closest to the x and win. Barrel length, choke size etc.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The longest barrel you can find, and the tightest choke you can find. A lot of guys run a 32-34" barrel and an extra-full choke. Some shoots limit barrel length though, so watch for that. Also pattern your gun...a different choke might shoot better than the one you expect to shoot the tightest.

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    The longest barrel you can find, and the tightest choke you can find. A lot of guys run a 32-34" barrel and an extra-full choke. Some shoots limit barrel length though, so watch for that. Also pattern your gun...a different choke might shoot better than the one you expect to shoot the tightest.

Thanks

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    You can find custom chokes on ebay. Your wallet is the limit on these things it seems.

I went to a . 680 shoot which seems like it would be even due to the looser chokes but the same 5 or so guns kept winning so it's more than just luck.

trailtoy

GOA, MSI, NRA
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2013
    St. Marys
    Down here in St. Marys you can bring whatever you like, but if another shooter wants to use your gun you have to let him. Levels things out a bit.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    At the Deale Charter Boat Captain’s Turkey shoots it must be a 12 gauge, the barrel cannot be longer than 30” and a 20 gauge shell is used as a choke go/no go gauge. We issue the shells round by round.

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County
    Cost

At the Deale Charter Boat Captain’s Turkey shoots it must be a 12 gauge, the barrel cannot be longer than 30” and a 20 gauge shell is used as a choke go/no go gauge. We issue the shells round by round.

Hi, I've been meaning to try that out. When is it, and costs?? If you know

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    The Legion Turkey shoots rules are a commercially available choke. I use a card choke .650 on a 28” barrel.
    A lot of luck involved… fun though

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies

BADSHOT

Still Learning
    Dec 27, 2021
    How weird county
    We shoot 40 yards 7 1/2 shot. .680 choke min. No barrel length restrictions. Everyone has a different gun and barrel combination you don’t have to be perfect just better than everyone else.Dayton rod and gun club we shoot on Sundays

Yamhandss

Jan 31, 2022
    Hate to revive an old thread, but I was speaking with the owner of Muller chokes over the past weekend. He was showing me some footage of his waterfowl chokes and they are much tighter than what I have used in the past. Wasn't able to get much info on the turkey chokes but they have a 60-day test policy where you can send it back if it doesn't pattern properly for you and I think he said it has a lifetime warranty (or 7 years, cant remember). Just for what its worth.

bigdummy30

Feb 2, 2009
    Finksburg,MD
    Thanks Reaper. It’s a fun time. Our shooting season ends at the end of March and restarts at the beginning of November. You’re welcome to come down and shoot with us.
    Yep, very nicely done shoot. Seems like a very good group of guys. Went quite a bit a few years ago but haven't had time recently.

Plus I lost too much money betting with my buddies ........and it sucks extra bad to lose money to your own gun

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom