• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Fellow hunters- what is the best meat grinder for the money currently on the market. I was looking on cabelas and Amazon. They seem to range from $70-$1000. I probably grind 6 to 8 deer per year (after cutting off steaks and backstraps). My old one is one my grandfather built by adding a pulley, belt and 3/4 hp motor to an old hand grinder. It’s time to upgrade.

What are you guys using?

Searched this and the threads were old, didn’t figure it was worth starting another thread, since most of the deer hunters are here.

Thanks in advance.

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/app/d/pocomoke-city-hobart-commercial-meat/7399513047.html

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The cabelas brand does well but they aren't on the cheaper end. If you get one, I recommend getting the on/off pedal as my hands are usually pretty gummed up. Not needed if you have a 2nf set of hands to help

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have an LEM #22 I have had 6 years now i think. Last couple years its been doing 8+ deer a year. I think ive replaced the blade a couple times but thats it.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I saw that one after you suggested a Hobart. That sucker is huge! I am looking for something smaller, and cheaper. I have been reading the reviews on LEM grinders and they sound decent for what I do. Thanks for looking for me though.:thumbsup:

Weird i thought i made a post about Lem also. They are good brand. I had one off brand i bought off ebay worked real good. Bout half price of Cabelas. Lasted me a good number of seasons in idaho.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Weird i thought i made a post about Lem also. They are good brand. I had one off brand i bought off ebay worked real good. Bout half price of Cabelas. Lasted me a good number of seasons in idaho.

Just ordered this one-

66895F36-A01A-4512-A1B1-64F0759095D0.jpg

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Dad at 86 harvested a 9 point in Westminster. 170# dressed.
    b809726b3626e58db68e280d9f36219d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    That’s a hoss! Congrats to your father. Pops still teaching you a thing or two, it looks like. We should all be so lucky. That’s a memory that should last a lifetime for the both of you. Hopefully I can get my father on a buck half that nice this year.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Archeryrob,

Congrats to your daughter; she can shoot too, tree stand or ground blind? I bet it was cold, was this hunt her first Buck ?

Mayor

Mayor, this Steve?

Yes first buck and from a turkey chair in the open. He tried sneaking by to her right and she had to twist around to drop him and the Grendel damn sure did that.

On the grinder, I use an LEM 12 Big Bite. 8 would be fine but I do everything and wanted the mixer and you need an 12, 22 or 32 to use the mixer. I bought the thing two years ago for $360 and they ate $530 now. :shocked4: Seems I am going to need that mixer a lot coming up. My daughter took her buck to the processor to have it capped, because I only bury heads in the compost pile or the ground. The meat came home last night and had to be 30# at least of ground.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Haven't see a one that required trigger pulling yet! Seen a pile of them though. Lots of antlered deer too and some does. One sika hind that identified as a WT or something Idk should have shot it I guess.

I was however lucky enough to have someone out who killed a decent buck Saturday night, may have been 7 or 8 points. Kid was happy as shit.

And another guy next door killed a good one, I don't know what they said it may measure out to but I wouldn't have been sizing it up too much if I had seen it come through!
    He's happy as a clam- no doubt.
    I'm going to go tomorrow morning I think. It'll be that long till my legs get going again.
    If theirs a report of seismic activity, its probably where I fell out of the stand or something tomorrow morning.

View attachment 328253

Must be all that corn you guys force-feed them...:D

Beautiful buck!

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    Got this one on Saturday

Attachments

• 94B5470E-C08F-4D92-93F7-183D17412F29.jpg
      94B5470E-C08F-4D92-93F7-183D17412F29.jpg
      113.2 KB · Views: 177
    • 39A65CBA-03AA-48EC-9323-EB5F023BBAB4.jpg
      39A65CBA-03AA-48EC-9323-EB5F023BBAB4.jpg
      172 KB · Views: 181

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Got in the stand super late between my boss holding me up with stuff and then having to help my oldest finish some college homework (he’s taking college astronomy while in 8th grade and doing really well).

Anyway, I wasn’t sitting in the damned stand till quarter till 4. Saw my local vixen 20 minutes later cruising by. Heard a bit up by my coop and about 15 minutes past sunset a couple of deer came over the hill and started down the trail. They stopped about half way down and stared at me a bit. Not sure it was really me they were looking at as they sure weren’t spooked. Then a deer across the creek went charging through the woods and scared the two doe on the path off and away they went.

20 minutes later as I was about to pack it as legal light had passed I started hearing rustling across the creek. So I stuck around to listen and try to spot the deer with my binocs as it was too dark to see Them without binocs that far away (40 or 50yds).

I think it was the deer that had gone charging through the woods. I spotted it after a few minutes and watched it hookup with a deer coming the other way. After about 10 minutes they crossed the creek over towards me. Then they hooked up with the two does on my side they’d scared down creek out of sight who had been slowly creeping back. And at least another deer from across creek. They were foraging around for the corn from my feeder for a solid 30 minutes in the dark while I sat there listening to them glad I’d bundled up even though it was on the mild side when I’d gone out late this afternoon.

They were foraging from the feeder at the edge of the path about 20yds away to about 5 feet from
    The bottom of my ladder stand. I could just barely make out the closest ones with my eyes occasionally right under me and the ones by the feeder with my binocs.

Eventually they gave up finding any more forage and went up the path to my side yard and further on in to the neighborhood.

Honestly really cool. Pretty sure none was that big buck I’ve been hunting. So not a whole lot of “dang it, if ya’ll had just been 15 minutes sooner coming in!”

That said, if I strike out on the buck or out at Greenridge, then by late gun season I’ll try to pick off one of those does.

But from a quick glance through my game camera, those might be some of the first deer to hit up the feeder since I finally got one and hung it this past Friday. I suspect that means they’ll be back and help pull more deer in now. I am hoping that big buck is finishing resting up and will be on the prowl soon for some doe in heat late or coming in to heat a second time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom