Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > The Depot
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old November 29th, 2021, 02:03 PM #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman93 View Post
Mine doesn't do that. I tried it just now. I've been timing it and there is no change in output after one minute.

Bet you didn't do it long enough. I thought mine didn't either but when I stood there waiting I could see it change. Definitely drops output.
Darnold86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2021, 02:11 PM #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilcam47 View Post
80% lower stuff thunder tactical 30% off
Man, was about to order but 21 for shipping pretty much cancelled out the deal. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old November 29th, 2021, 02:17 PM #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnold86 View Post
Bet you didn't do it long enough. I thought mine didn't either but when I stood there waiting I could see it change. Definitely drops output.
How long did it take? I timed it twice for about 6 minutes each time.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Such as were inclined to defend themselves, but unable to purchase Arms and Ammunition, have, as we are informed, been supplied with both, as far as Arms could be procured, out of Monies given by the last Assembly for the Kingís Use..."
- Benjamin Franklin
budman93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2021, 02:30 PM #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman93 View Post
How long did it take? I timed it twice for about 6 minutes each time.
Interesting. Mine happened not long after the 1-2 minute mark. You either got lucky or they charged it since the version I bought.
Old November 29th, 2021, 03:12 PM #155

Detroit ammo co has free shipping for 15 months for $99. If you subscribe for one of the monthly ammo packages it’s a pretty decent deal.
Fl1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2021, 03:14 PM #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1p View Post
Detroit ammo co has free shipping for 15 months for $99. If you subscribe for one of the monthly ammo packages itís a pretty decent deal.
I don't want to have to wait that long for a delivery
Old November 30th, 2021, 12:48 AM #157

Quote:
Mine arenít that noticeable actively dimming. It certainly does dim, but it does it over a long period of time. From a few test reviews, it looks like it runs at full output for about a minute and then slowly down over about 10 minutes and then stays at ~60lm for around 50 minutes or so before dead.

Generally defensive encounters where you need a light donít last more than a few minutes tops. If this was a light on a handgun being used for law enforcement purposes I donít think it would be a good idea. A minute of extremely bright followed by a few minutes of pretty bright followed by a little under an hour of enough light for across the room or the bushes next to the house to me is just fine.

If I need to be actively searching around I usually donít want to be pointing my gun at things unless I am pretty darned sure I have to shoot them. Which is probably only likely bad things in my house.

Weapon light on a rifle though, IMHO needs to last longer as those kinds of outputs (as, if you are going to need a weapon light there, itís possibly for shooting something at more than across the room distances)
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2021, 04:53 AM #158

Quote:
If you compare say the valk mini 2 and the baldr minis to a streamlight tlr7 sub or tlr7a, the olights will only run at 600 lumens for 1 minute then drop to an abysmal 60lumen. Not sure about you, but if I'm clearing my home I don't want to lose that much light only after a minute. I bought the valk 2 and it sits in a box for that reason.

From Olight site itself

Cool White Light 600~60 lumens
Run time Cool White Light 1 minutes + 60 minutes
Thanks for the info... its good to know, but the good news is it isn't quite as bad as you thought.

It doesn't drop from 600 to 60 after 1 minute.

Per the manual for the Valkyrie Mini, "The LED light will work for one minute at the top output mode and gradually step down to 60 lm within 10 minutes."

I decided to try mine out to see how reliable it would be.

Fully charged, it was extremely bright with no significant drop for ~4 minutes. It did begin to get a but dimmer after that, but not enough to limit effectiveness. It was still blinding if it were pointed at a person for about 10 minutes. At 12-13 minutes it was no longer blinding, but still lit up a room at the far end of the hallway (~40 feet). At ~15.5 minutes, it was enough to keep from tripping on something... it was like holding a candle. It did not dim noticably after that... so I'm guessing that was the minimim 60 lumens or close to it.

So my verdict... not usable as a duty light, but still very good for home use. Fully charged you can trust it for 12-13 minutes, much more if you use it intermittently. Not useful after 14 minutes, except to keep from walking into walls. I have very bright flashlights all around my house and in all my cars, so this is not an issue for me. Comparing to other lights I'm pretty sure mine was at least 200 lumen or more after 10 minutes, not 60, but its new and fully charged. 60 after 10 might be an average.

I plan to check out the Baldr mini tomorrow and see how it behaves.
Bullfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:46 AM #159
Senior Member (Gold)

Senior Member (Gold)

Bought a pair of 5.11 pants. I'll post photos when I try them on.
Old November 30th, 2021, 07:58 AM #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Thanks for the info... its good to know, but the good news is it isn't quite as bad as you thought.

It doesn't drop from 600 to 60 after 1 minute.

Per the manual for the Valkyrie Mini, "The LED light will work for one minute at the top output mode and gradually step down to 60 lm within 10 minutes."

I decided to try mine out to see how reliable it would be.

Fully charged, it was extremely bright with no significant drop for ~4 minutes. It did begin to get a but dimmer after that, but not enough to limit effectiveness. It was still blinding if it were pointed at a person for about 10 minutes. At 12-13 minutes it was no longer blinding, but still lit up a room at the far end of the hallway (~40 feet). At ~15.5 minutes, it was enough to keep from tripping on something... it was like holding a candle. It did not dim noticably after that... so I'm guessing that was the minimim 60 lumens or close to it.

So my verdict... not usable as a duty light, but still very good for home use. Fully charged you can trust it for 12-13 minutes, much more if you use it intermittently. Not useful after 14 minutes, except to keep from walking into walls. I have very bright flashlights all around my house and in all my cars, so this is not an issue for me. Comparing to other lights I'm pretty sure mine was at least 200 lumen or more after 10 minutes, not 60, but its new and fully charged. 60 after 10 might be an average.

I plan to check out the Baldr mini tomorrow and see how it behaves.
Cool, thank you for the thorough testing and information.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > The Depot