• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That might explain why there are a lot more 30 cal cans than 5.56. Heck - some manufactures don't even offer a dedicated 5.56 can, just 5.56 end caps for their 30 cal cans.

The increased volume gives a lower tone to the ear. I don’t ever plan on getting a 5.56 can.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I've run a few of my 30 cal cans on 556. I ran a 30 cal can on a AR pistol for a while (12" barrel). It works. Its gets to the point where action noise and the supersonic crack are the limiting issues.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    That might explain why there are a lot more 30 cal cans than 5.56. Heck - some manufactures don't even offer a dedicated 5.56 can, just 5.56 end caps for their 30 cal cans.

This. From most stuff I've read, you are generally going to gain around 2dB going from a .30 to a .223 end cap. Which wouldn't be perceptible. About the same gain on a .45 can using a 9mm end cap for 9mm. Now if ALL the baffles are that much smaller, dunno. I'd assume you'd probably have at least another couple of dB to gain.

But the gain from the larger volume that .30 cal cans tend to at least equal, or outweigh the gains from smaller diameter holes through the suppressor. Seems like a lot of work and extra expense to make smaller baffles to swap out, plus that work of swapping them. Smaller end cap might make sense if you really want to get that bit of extra juice.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Also, about the "2 sets of baffles with different size holes" - I thought that there was a "no extra parts" rule. Cant have extra end caps or baffles.

For my first suppressor I went for versatility, but for a form 1 i question why its useful. Solvent traps are inexpensive and form 1s get approved in weeks. Just optimize the design for the gun/ caliber you plan to use, then build another for a different application. :D

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    Not to hijack the thread since I intend to do a form 1 can soon. Quick question... Is there any information that helps a builder find a QD mount for a form 1 build? Thanks!

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Not to hijack the thread since I intend to do a form 1 can soon. Quick question... Is there any information that helps a builder find a QD mount for a form 1 build? Thanks!

You have to work backwards from your kit.
    There is not a single list, there are so many permutations, so narrow it down first by choosing a kit/tube. Will your tube have 1.375x24 (ASR plan B) threads, 1.125"-28tpi (Silencerco plan A), D-cell tube threads (1.4375"-20tpi ) or what?

If you pick a common tube thread, you will find a lot of mounting solutions. Lantac for example makes muzzle brakes and flash hiders that screw directly on Dead Air or Plan B ASR threads. So does Rearden.

Of course, there is also direct thread, which is ok too. Every tube has a direct thread option, which is about as QD as it gets.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I"m still trying to figure out how to make/buy a bunch of short spacers. Seems like I have to buy a tube and cut it myself.
    Was hoping I could find a bunch of say 1/4" or 1/2" spacers already cut.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You can cut metal with a miter saw? Good to know!

Well, I think I can. Will make a mess I know. I know I used that abrasive saw wheel on something before and we use abrasive wheels to cut metal at work (when desperate) If any one knows what kind of wheel will cut a stainless tube, let me know, always willing to get new stuff. RPMS may be not right, like a die grinder is.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Only posting this here because I have come to like this community lol I also may know a thing or two about form 1s :P this is the best and easiest deal you will find right now. It’s plan B so you need an end cap. I recommend the griffin taper mount and using their muzzle devices. I get perfect repeatability and it’s large threads so they will last a long time. My recommendation is to pay and have them engrave your form 1 info before they mail it to you.

http://mutedmachineworks.com/product/15x8asr/

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    If you or anyone see 1", let me know cause I think a few 1" will work for me.
    I do have an abrasive wheel for the miter saw.

Here is some places i checked:
    Ti:
    https://solventtrapsdirect.com/1-inch-or-1-1-2-inch-or-2-inch-spacer-tubes-from-14-95/

Al: https://www.wedgemachineworks.com/products/custom-d-cell-spacer

4" and 6" spacers which can be cut: https://superprecisionconcepts.com/products/spacer-material-diy/

I dont see anything at eccomachine or xrt tactical. xrt only has small 1.025" spacers (https://www.xrttactical.com/product/1-110″-spacers/), none for D cells. Both would likely also carry spacers, a lot of places are out of stock.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Only posting this here because I have come to like this community lol I also may know a thing or two about form 1s :P this is the best and easiest deal you will find right now. It’s plan B so you need an end cap. I recommend the griffin taper mount and using their muzzle devices. I get perfect repeatability and it’s large threads so they will last a long time. My recommendation is to pay and have them engrave your form 1 info before they mail it to you.

http://mutedmachineworks.com/product/15x8asr/

thats a good deal. 350 + 70 for cerakote and engraving.

:thumbsup:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a metal chop saw. Sort of like a miter saw with an abrasive blade. It has a clamp to hold what you are cutting.

I am not sure you could use it to cut a 1" spacer though. Not enough to hold onto. And the abrasive wheel takes a pretty big chunk of the material.

Better would be to find a longer piece of pipe of the correct dimensions, then chop that.

FHJ69

Mar 13, 2011
    Upper PDRMC
    I use this for cutting 1.75" .120 wall DOM steel tubing for roll cages and what not. Straight perfect cuts every time with no heat no fuss. I wouldn't recommend using an abrasive wheel on aluminum. It will work but it will also load your wheel up with excess aluminum.

https://www.sawblade.com/order-circular-saws.cfm

I have the $299 one but I'm sure the $249 one is just as good.

Also my GT1440 lathe arrives in a month. :party29:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I use this for cutting 1.75" .120 wall DOM steel tubing for roll cages and what not. Straight perfect cuts every time with no heat no fuss. I wouldn't recommend using an abrasive wheel on aluminum. It will work but it will also load your wheel up with excess aluminum.

So jealous! I'm just starting to play with my Grizzly mini-lathe

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo

Thx, order placed

Just noticed my 3" tube was poorly cut so I have to cut about 1/4" off both sides.

My blast tube I have to cut is stainless. How should I cut that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom