Anyone seen OSS Suppressors? Looks like a great option for rifle suppression.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Yep, this is one of those "wait and see" kind of problems. If it works and doesn't fail often, it might stay around a while. The issue is that it's all "patented" or at least claimed to be patented, and that technically means that they can sue anyone who makes "replacement" parts for it.

All of the tiny little channels for gas and unburned powder look like they'll get worn down pretty quickly, unless it's all made of some kind of inconel (which I suspect is where they get the "jet engine inspired" but from). I can't imagine it'll be easy to clean either, I wouldn't want to be sitting there scrubbing with No9 for an hour. Sure, you can use "the dip" but they don't mention what alloys anything is made of, so that might be a bad idea. I guess the idea is that you replace the non-registered parts when performance goes down.

I'm just being a jerk because every time I've thought the old race-car adage (good, fast, cheap: pick two) was proven false, it was me who was made a fool.

ETA:
    Oh yeah, I meant to include this:
    https://www.tactical-officer.com/files/OSS.jpg

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    LOL. Looks like in FY-2012 the ATF bought suppressors for their Special Response Team (kinda like SWAT):
    Prior purchases were made under the following purchase orders;
    DJA12SP00348 $22,455.00/45 = $499.00 each
    DJA12SP00175 $14,970.00/30 = $499.00 each

"We have government contracts!" really means "We made the ATF a bunch of one-off cans, they changed their policy on duty cans, and now they have to buy replacement parts from us and only us."

Read the ATF's J&A yourself:
    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...8936b154177989ee61a81&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

It's a mix of "we have this, so we want more of this" and "our policies state that this is the only approved suppressor." Take that for what it's worth.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The issue is that it's all "patented" or at least claimed to be patented, and that technically means that they can sue anyone who makes "replacement" parts for it.

Don't other suppressor manufacturers patent their designs? I ask this because I honestly don't know. And like I asked earlier, do any third parties make replacement parts for anyone's suppressors now?

All of the tiny little channels for gas and unburned powder look like they'll get worn down pretty quickly, unless it's all made of some kind of inconel (which I suspect is where they get the "jet engine inspired" but from).

Apparently, some of it (the flash hider, which is the wear part) is Inconel, and the rest is Ti-6Al-4V (which is apparently a Titanium alloy that's commonly used for high temp / corrosive environments). I think that they may use the "jet engine" thing because of the shape of the vanes on the interior surface of the parts. I think it's a silly marketing ploy.

I can't imagine it'll be easy to clean either, I wouldn't want to be sitting there scrubbing with No9 for an hour. Sure, you can use "the dip" but they don't mention what alloys anything is made of, so that might be a bad idea. I guess the idea is that you replace the non-registered parts when performance goes down.

This might be a sticking point, from handling the cutaway. LOTS of tiny pathways for the gas. However, it looked totally end user disassembleable (if that's even a word) so dunking it and brushing it off shouldn't be too hard. Of course, I'm kinda talking out my ass there because I've never tried.

I think the idea is that you just replace the wear part when performance suffers, which is at ove 10,000 rounds of low rate fire (20rpm) according to them.

I'm just being a jerk because every time I've thought the old race-car adage (good, fast, cheap: pick two) was proven false, it was me who was made a fool.

You're not being a jerk. As someone who has spent a fair amount of time around race cars, I get the good / cheap / fast equation for sure. I'm kind of playing Devil's Buffoon (It's like Devil's Advocate except I don't know what I'm talking about) here because the other thing that spending time around race cars taught me was that every so often someone stumbles upon a REALLY good idea that's vastly different from "how it's done" and everyone shits on them until they win races. Then everyone does it that way. Not saying these guys are that case, but I'm just kind of taking the contrary argument for that reason.

Also, FWIW I don't think anyone would claim that $1600 for a rifle suppressor is cheap, so I am suspecting that they went for making it good.

That's a good pic. I marked it up a little (forgive all the cutsey colors and silly descriptions I am about to use), and it matches what I handled at FreeState.

The thing circled in red is the wear part of the FHMB. The things circled in green are the other part of the FHMB. They screw together at the two points circled in aqua. That unit as a whole is what is semi-permanently attached to the barrel. When performance starts to suffer, you screw off the part circled in red and replace it. $45 or so.

The thing circled in yellow is the BPR / FHMB assembly. (The green thing and the red thing are inside of it, and you can see part of the red thing sticking out, which I circled in purple in both places.) Basically once you have the FHMB attached to the barrel, you slide the BPR over it and thread it on, and this is what you end up with. No increase in OAL.

Then, you attach the thing circled in Blue, which is the SRM. It threads on where the purple thing is sticking out. That's your whole unit.

The white thing at the bottom of the picture is a cutaway plastic model of the whole unit. The big hollow area in the middle is where the barrel would sit, and to the left of that is the internals of the FHMB (all those big holes are the inside of the thing circled in red.)

LOL. Looks like in FY-2012 the ATF bought suppressors for their Special Response Team (kinda like SWAT):

"We have government contracts!" really means "We made the ATF a bunch of one-off cans, they changed their policy on duty cans, and now they have to buy replacement parts from us and only us."

Read the ATF's J&A yourself:
    https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...8936b154177989ee61a81&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

It's a mix of "we have this, so we want more of this" and "our policies state that this is the only approved suppressor." Take that for what it's worth.

Well hell, if the ATF's using it it HAS to be good, right? :P

Attachments

• OSS1.jpg
      OSS1.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 477
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You're not being a jerk. As someone who has spent a fair amount of time around race cars, I get the good / cheap / fast equation for sure. I'm kind of playing Devil's Buffoon (It's like Devil's Advocate except I don't know what I'm talking about) here because the other thing that spending time around race cars taught me was that every so often someone stumbles upon a REALLY good idea that's vastly different from "how it's done" and everyone shits on them until they win races. Then everyone does it that way. Not saying these guys are that case, but I'm just kind of taking the contrary argument for that reason.

But how many frogs are there before you find the one prince of an idea?

LOTS of things that are sold as being game changing, only to find out, that at BEST, they are as good as what everyone is already using.

I am wondering how the amount of gas coming out of the muzzle passes though all those little passages. Try blowing a lot of air out of one of those small stirring stick straws, versus a normal straw.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    But how many frogs are there before you find the one prince of an idea?

Totally a good point. I just don't like dismissing things out of hand solely because they're a different solution to a problem is all.

I am wondering how the amount of gas coming out of the muzzle passes though all those little passages. Try blowing a lot of air out of one of those small stirring stick straws, versus a normal straw.

Absolutely, but I think this is more a matter of blowing air out of a dozen little coffee stirrers as opposed to one traditional straw. There's still the volume to do it, it's just split up.

I'd love to see it flow modelled in solid works.

Yeah, me too.

Seriously, if you get a chance, go look at the cutaways that they have at FreeState. It makes a lot more sense once you've seen it in person. While I'd like to see some (non-marketing based) proof that it works as well as they say it does, it does make a lot more sense once you've held it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, that is why I am waiting for YOU to spend your money and time and show that it actually works. :)

But the design differences are more like a dozen coffee stirrers versus half a dozen big straws. Still a lot of difference in flow resistance.

And looking at the cutaway section, the thin space between the barrel and the outer sleeve has to carry the flow BOTH ways, as the flow reverses at the back end to go back forward.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Surefire's proven warranty is enough to justify the extra cost. The number of flashlights I've sent back to them to be repaired/replaced should be an indication of how they service everything.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    As an engineer, half of what they said in the promo video has merit, half is your typical marketing B.S. I also have a hard time believing the ATF will allow someone to have multiple cores with only one tax stamp.

OSS

Oct 31, 2014
    Hi everyone!

This is Keith over at OSS. I came across the thread and thought I would chime in.

Hansohn:
    Where did you happen to get the suppressor? Also, do you have pictures of the machine marks and burrs? If these issues existed, did you contact us directly? I cannot find any record of us receiving contact from you with these issues.

Regarding Silencer Shop, they have been removed from our dealer/distributor network due to MAP violations and are liquidating their inventory as they are no longer associated with OSS.

jkeys:
    You are correct and at the time of me writing this, we do not sell separate FHMB's from the suppressor system. ATF's response was that we needed to prove that the FHMB serves another function (i.e.: mitigates flash). We are currently doing in house and independent testing to prove this so we can sell the FHMB separate from the suppressor system.

The actual wear part is the deflectors inside the cage on the FHMB. That is the component that wears out after approximately 12-15k rounds, when you lose 1-2db. The system is stainless steel or aluminum (unless you got the MR SD rifle package, which is Ti). whatever you clean your weapon with, you can clean the suppressor system with.

If anyone has any questions about the system, feel free to contact me directly. I am more than happy to answer questions and assist. Also, we will have a much bigger presence at SHOT this year, so if you happen to be out there, come by and see us.

office: 801-542-0425

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I seem to remain perpetually in an NFA limbo waiting on something or other but this time it is for the OSS 7.62 suppressor. I know many crap on their suppressors but hey...somebody had to buy the Studebakers and Gremlins!
    I think the concept is pretty neat and can't wait to get it outside next to my AAC's for a real comparision.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Took 3 months but I have my stamp. Will hopefully get outside this weekend to do some testing. I will say that rapid fire with AR caused much less gas to the face versus my AAC setups.

sar82007

Apr 6, 2013
    People's Republic of MD
    Found your post today while trying to solve a problem of figuring out how to remove my BPR Core. It must be carbon fouled on. It did not come with a tool to remove it. I just emailed OSS to see what they suggest. But I will say the system works as advertised. Virtually no gas blowback coming from the ejection port like baffled cans. That is funny though I got mine through Botach Tactical at 2/3 the price they wanted new. The only problem is its a beast. Your gun does become front heavy. Hopefully this was solved by the newer generations.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Found your post today while trying to solve a problem of figuring out how to remove my BPR Core. It must be carbon fouled on. It did not come with a tool to remove it. I just emailed OSS to see what they suggest. But I will say the system works as advertised. Virtually no gas blowback coming from the ejection port like baffled cans. That is funny though I got mine through Botach Tactical at 2/3 the price they wanted new. The only problem is its a beast. Your gun does become front heavy. Hopefully this was solved by the newer generations.
    The new OSS cans are on the heavy end of acceptable. The Helix QD 5.56 weighs in the ballpark of a SilencerCo Chimaera, Rugged Razor, or Dead Air Sandman S. Their titanium cans are on par with heavy duty titanium cans.

Overall a significant improvement over the first generation, and hopefully they’ll keep working to get weight down and performance up.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    Not sure about the Core issues. I have a HX-QD 556k to put on my Tavor. Not a super techno fanboy so, will only say that I'm happy with it. No gas in the face which is supposed to be a problem. I think shooting without earpro outside is ok; I'm not looking for quiet for everyone else. Manual says to dip in CLP then drain and shoot it clean. There are videos that look cool. Can also go in Ultrasonic.
    I have limited experience with rifle cans with my only other rifle can being an AMTAC 7.62 although I do have an Silencerco Osprey9 & Rugged Obsidian9 that I use on PCC's and for my Contender in .357 Max / .38 Spl.
    If someone wants to check mine out, send a PM. I'm in Kensington & usually shoot at IWLA in Poolesville, of course might have to wait for warmer weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom