Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old November 25th, 2021, 01:39 PM #11

I used to have one. I had a flinch that kept showing up every once and a while. I did lots of dryfire with the mantis keeping me in check. I quit using it after that. It's very good feedback if you don't know why you're not shooting well and don't have access to instruction and correction that comes with it. It's a good value in training tools.
Broncolou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 02:13 PM #12
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAA View Post
I just got my MAX-9 last week. It doesn’t have a rail to mount the MantisX. So I designed and printed a magazine floor plate adapter to allow me to mount it on the pistol and still practice. Also allows me to practice drawing from concealment.

Brilliant!!!
"The general rule is that an unconstitutional statute, though having the form and name of law, is in reality no law, but is wholly void, and ineffective for any purpose; since unconstitutionality dates from the time of its enactment, and not merely from the date of the decision so branding it.No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."(16 Am. Jur. 2d, Section 177; later 2d, Section 256)
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 02:22 PM #13
Pre-Banned

Pre-Banned

@AAToolAA
Floor plate adapter sounds great. None of my CC holsters accommodate anything attached to a rail. And velcro... I'm not convinced.
Have you considered printing a universal expanding insert for the handgrip area behind the mag, with a rail section?

MD-W&C MD-Collector FL-CCW MSI Arlington-RPC Meade-RPC AGC NRA-Life SOTAR Murican!
Slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 09:20 PM #14

Where do you find the files for the floor plate, or did you just design it from scratch?? I need to get learned on that process. I got the Microcenter deal and the printer hasn't stopped running since. I did the starter pig, dog, cat, (ran out of starter filament during the cat), then did the digital sundial, very cool and am now printing the M1 Garand. That one cost a few buck for the files, and I also bought the M9 while I was at it.

More on topic, I believe I posted a review of the Mantis X10 on here somewhere when I got it.
Johnny5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 09:40 PM #15

Been using Mantis for training

Almost all of my dry fire training with my pistols have been with Mantis... Definitely helps on trigger control and minimizing on target movement..
ethiojazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 11:12 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
@AAToolAA
Floor plate adapter sounds great. None of my CC holsters accommodate anything attached to a rail. And velcro... I'm not convinced.
Have you considered printing a universal expanding insert for the handgrip area behind the mag, with a rail section?
So far I've been making unique floor plates for each gun/mag type. I've done them for my Glock G26 which has a Laser/Light combo already on the frame rail. Also done one for my Shadow2, because it was cheaper than buying a new holster to accommodate the Mantis X on the forward rail.

I'm not exactly sure how your suggestion would work, but the idea of making some sort of universal adapter that attaches to the bottom of standard magazine floor plates is actually not a bad one. Almost ALL of the magazines I own, have about a 3/16" hole in the bottom that locks the plate in place using the spring retainer. I'm thinking that maybe designing a new PicRail adapter with a #10 Screw sticking out of the back which could easily be then inserted into just about any magazine floor plate could work. The user would probably need to remove the spring retainer. While not practical for live fire practice, it would certainly work for just about every dry fire exercise I could think of. I may create a model and test it out. If it works, I'll print one for you if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5k View Post
Where do you find the files for the floor plate, or did you just design it from scratch?? I need to get learned on that process. .
I had seen someone selling them on Amazon/Ebay for Glock mags a while back. They were cheap like $15. However the design didn't exist for the Shadow2 which was the first gun I printed for. It was pretty easy for me to remove the CZ Floor Plate and just measure the dimensions. I made a simple 3D model in Fusion360 then created the PicRail detail on the bottom.

Now that you have a 3D printer, the next thing to concentrate on is creating your own 3D models of your own designs. Once you get the hang of it, you'll really get some use out of it. The design I posted last night is good, but I noticed that there are some sharp corners that I don't like as I grip the gun. So, I just designed a new one that is a bit of a better fit for my hand. That took me about 20min and I'm printing now as I type this post.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2021, 11:55 PM #17

Updated mag floor plate design feels much better in my hand. Dimensions are close to the 12 round magazine with the extension.

Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety