• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Bought a used Ruger Mark III 22/45 Target for use in rimfire pistol irons action shooting competition. Not the optimal choice per se, but it was cheap. The factory sights are clearly not what I want, so have a pair of Williams FO sights incoming. What else do I need?

I am THINKING the VQ pistol competition kit to start. I also have the Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit coming in, but haven't installed it yet. Pondering an extended magazine release (meh) and new grips, too.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Are you going to do the Slide/bolt release mod? or is that still not needed with new ones?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Yeah, I guess I need that part... probably get the Kanewolf thing from TK.

Post how it goes. I removed the detent years ago on my wife's.
    We had her out at the range Friday and I definitely need to add the spring cause gravity does not always let it drop.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    If you don't want to buy the entire VQ kit then just the hammer, sear, and bushing will get you 9x% of the way there. I pieced those together in mine and it's a night and day difference just with those items. Not sure if it's still a thing but people used to complain that the light hammer used to lead to occasional light strikes.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I did a tandemkross / volquartsen hybrid trigger in my 22/45. TK used to sell it as a kit, not sure if they still do. It’s pretty hard to make a strong case for TK when basically everyone uses volquartsen parts, but I like the TK flat trigger shoe a lot more than the volquartsen curved trigger that was available at the the time. I want to say I also filed and polished the mags I have so that they don’t have random razor sharp burrs, and added the TK bottoms. I think the trigger kit I bought deleted the magazine safety feature, and I got a TK part that changes how the slide stop/release works.

I think I may have polished the feed ramp a bunch and dehorned it, because mine was really rough. Had burrs sticking up right where the bullets are supposed to transition from the magazine to the ramp.

If I had it to do all over again, I would . . . Have waited for the Gen 4 Rugers. Or possibly gotten a SW22 victory because I really only use my .22 pistol for plinking and suppressed popping of rabbits that won’t stop raiding our garden. Not relevant to the OP I guess.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    filed and polishing the mags helps with them locking in place? I get a lot of feed errors with my wife cause the mag does not always lock in place. Its like it needs to stick out the bottom so she can put more force directly on the mag to lock it in. Its NEVER like my buckmark which has a positive feel to when the mag clicks in. many times if she does not tap it hard or push with her fingers, she will rack the bolt back, release and the mag drops down and won't feed next round

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    filed and polishing the mags helps with them locking in place? I get a lot of feed errors with my wife cause the mag does not always lock in place. Its like it needs to stick out the bottom so she can put more force directly on the mag to lock it in. Its NEVER like my buckmark which has a positive feel to when the mag clicks in. many times if she does not tap it hard or push with her fingers, she will rack the bolt back, release and the mag drops down and won't feed next round
    In my case I was mostly tired of cutting my fingers on them, but I read somewhere that smoothing out the magazine feed lips can positively impact reliability. This was at least 5 years ago, so I would search around the internet before channeling my inner bubba if I were you. I think I followed a guide online.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I did a tandemkross / volquartsen hybrid trigger in my 22/45. TK used to sell it as a kit, not sure if they still do. It’s pretty hard to make a strong case for TK when basically everyone uses volquartsen parts, but I like the TK flat trigger shoe a lot more than the volquartsen curved trigger that was available at the the time. I want to say I also filed and polished the mags I have so that they don’t have random razor sharp burrs, and added the TK bottoms. I think the trigger kit I bought deleted the magazine safety feature, and I got a TK part that changes how the slide stop/release works.

I think I may have polished the feed ramp a bunch and dehorned it, because mine was really rough. Had burrs sticking up right where the bullets are supposed to transition from the magazine to the ramp.

If I had it to do all over again, I would . . . Have waited for the Gen 4 Rugers. Or possibly gotten a SW22 victory because I really only use my .22 pistol for plinking and suppressed popping of rabbits that won’t stop raiding our garden. Not relevant to the OP I guess.
    I got the MkIII for like $225. If it works out, I'll spend more on the next one and maybe grab a MkIV or a Black Mamba. Just didn't feel like breaking the bank on the initial experiment.

I ran a couple mags through the MkIII this afternoon during SASP practice, and at least with Mini-Mags, it was 100%. That's a good baseline reliability. I've gotten spoiled by these Sig Legion triggers, though... I thought the safety was on but it turned out I was just not pulling the trigger hard enough. :)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I got the MkIII for like $225. If it works out, I'll spend more on the next one and maybe grab a MkIV or a Black Mamba. Just didn't feel like breaking the bank on the initial experiment.

I ran a couple mags through the MkIII this afternoon during SASP practice, and at least with Mini-Mags, it was 100%. That's a good baseline reliability. I've gotten spoiled by these Sig Legion triggers, though... I thought the safety was on but it turned out I was just not pulling the trigger hard enough. :)
    I think I bought mine new for about that in 2010. It was the third firearm I ever purchased. I think once you install an aftermarket trigger that knocks about a bajillion pounds off the pull, you’ll be pretty happy with it for your purposes (also whatever trigger job you do, make sure to delete the magazine safety. It improves the trigger markedly just on its own, and makes disassembly/reassembly slightly less of a chore). They are certainly plenty accurate, and if you get one that feeds reliably, you’re in business.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The VQ trigger kit is worth every penny and more. The install kind of sucks though, but if you are mechanically inclined it's doable. Just be sure to break out your swear jar.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OK, so the upgrades list as they stand currently:
    Williams Fire Sights
    VQ Auto-Bolt Release (found a NOS one on eBay for the MkIII 22/45!)
    VQ Competition Kit
    VQ Extended Mag Release
    TK Shadow Rail
    Majestic Arms Speed Strip Kit

I can go to the TK trigger if I decide that I really prefer flat, but it's not my biggest concern TBH.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Update: installed all of the items above, except the extractor (which I need a better tool to remove) and the rail (which is coming today). In the end, decided that the Majestic kit wasn't worth it and took it out; pulling the lever and removing the mainspring assembly is just not that big a deal.

But, wow, that trigger pull... unbelievable. I spent a bit of quality time tuning the VQ trigger and the results were fantastic. Super light, very little overtravel, and a very nice reset. Can't ask for much more. Need to loctite them eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom