Junior rimfire rifle Odenton, within reasonable distance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Any trainers / club members here aware of any junior rimfire introductory training within 30-40 minute drive of Odenton?

I intend to check the NRA’s T&E website but thought I’d ask here as well as that website only references classes and my hopes are the lad in question may take to becoming part of a team or at least weekly / bi-weekly league …

I am a days travel away; however; I have a 8-year old nephew there who has long demonstrated not only a burning desire but a singular level of responsibility (and an extremely high IQ). He’s enrolled in a private academy and has participated in soccer and baseball but, something tells me if he gets exposed to a program set up for juniors to advance from Marksman through Expert, etc. he is gonna find his groove to last him a lifetime …

Parents are already burning candles at both ends on Ft. Meade (daily plotting their escape to America in 7 years) and, while Pro-2A they have absolutely no idea where to start looking …

Would like to find a Junior-oriented NRA Basics class for him to start with an eye toward his participating in a league or semi-informal juniors program …

Thanks in advance!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    My friend's son shoots rimfire comp at the 4-H park between Queenstown and Centerville. Want me to see if it's a statewide league?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Back in the day there were a lot of clubs with indoor lanes & youth leagues...

I went to POLY & was on the Rifle Team & we shot at the 5th Regiment Armory in Baltimorgue City...

HOWEVER, OSHA shut them all down because of LEAD POISONING...

Today all Commercial Lanes have a Positive Pressure Airflow from the Shooing Positions thru the Target Wall where the gases must be filtered to remove all gases created from shooting...

This also take the heat out of the building...

The equipment to do all this is expensive to buy & maintain...

Good Luck...

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    My friend's son shoots rimfire comp at the 4-H park between Queenstown and Centerville. Want me to see if it's a statewide league?

Thanks; it appears BRGC’s program is even more active than when’s was a member and coach, back in the 80’s - and the family is only 24-mins from their range so, waiting for parents to get back to me before I reach out to BRGC directly.

(Really hoping they recognize what am incredible opportunity this is for the lad who is, I stand corrected, 9-yoa, not 8 :fingerscrossed:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    AGC (which seems to be close enough to Odenton?) has a Scholastic Action Shooting Program team that shoots weekly during the late-spring/summer/early-fall, and every third Sunday year round. It is Steel Challenge for kids, and it is a ton of fun. Don't require much more than a 10/22, 5-6 mags, and some ammo to get going with it. Our next open shoot will be on November 21st at 1PM in the action bays if they want to give it a try!

It's a real team; we went to Nationals last year. We teach how to shoot. It's, in my opinion, a lot more fun than shooting off a bench for groups at 25yds or whatever.

fogman

Queen Anne's County 4-H has a small bore and air rifle program and I think they are active year round. Too far away but Howard, Carroll and Frederick County 4-H have shootings sports programs. Howard County 4-H has small bore and we just finished our season but we are looking to start an indoor air rifle program. I'm not sure how active Carroll or Frederick County 4-H rifle programs are. AGC clubs have juniors programs. Most shoot air rifle year round and small bore during the spring and summer. I know Stemmer's Run , Monumental and Arlington Rifle and Pistol Clubs have active programs at AGC and other clubs may as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom