• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    I am not new to handguns, but never owned a Glock!(
    Seriously considering to fix that shortcoming, would appreciate some advice from current/past owners of Glocks. Also should I get used or new, looking to spend ~$400-$600.
    THANKS

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Ditto on the model 19 suggestion. It is the most size efficient model and really easy to shoot.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    What's your intended use?

Functionally they're all the same so decision factors should probably be based on ammo type, size, etc...

Will you carry it and if so, how do you prefer to carry it?
    Is it for range/recreation use?
    Is it for protection?
    Etc...

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    What's your intended use?

Functionally they're all the same so decision factors should probably be based on ammo type, size, etc...

Will you carry it and if so, how do you prefer to carry it?
    Is it for range/recreation use?
    Is it for protection?
    Etc...

It would be just for taking to the range for some Target shooting probably 9mm, not looking for a carry gun. Does it mater if its GEN4 or 5, or for that matter if its Gen 3?
    Thanks

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    It would be just for taking to the range for some Target shooting probably 9mm, not looking for a carry gun. Does it mater if its GEN4 or 5, or for that matter if its Gen 3?
    Thanks

In that case I'd say the other members have hit the nail on the head with the 17/19.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks

If you're considering a red dot, g19 g5 mos is the one to get. I haven't shot a g4 or 5 so I'll let resident pros give advice

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Thanks

Yes, x1000 for me. Gen4 has fingergrooves, Gen5 does not. My fingers do not fit in the grooves, and I find the Gen4's very uncomfortable. I'll probably never own one. I do, however own and compete with three Gen5's.

Handle examples of both generations before you buy. I had my father about sold on 17Gen5, until he picked up a 17Gen4 and liked it better. Bbbbut fingergrooves?!?!?! :shrug: They worked...for him :innocent0

There are some other generational differences that can be argued over, but the finger grooves are all that matter for me.

Unless you have small hands, if conceal carry is not a consideration, G17 is kinda their flagship. It's in the middle:

glock family.JPG

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Get a used 19 (Gen 3 would be fine). Don't spend more than $400. You can put the additional cash into new night sights ($50-60) and a short reset trigger connector ($20) to improve both the break and the reset.

If you can't find deals locally, check recoilgunworks.com . They always seem to be getting a new batch of police trade-ins. Aimsurplus.com occasionally does as well.

I got the one below from Atlantic Guns (with Jeff Hulbert helping me peruse their selection) for $300 (before upgrades) not long ago ...
    9b768e71f98a2aa665d3fa734efc6491.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom