• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigO

gotta practice more
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 15, 2012
    Back in Carroll Co.
    Thanks to all for this thread. I just put a down payment on retirement house in Lewes DE.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    [
    QUOTE=BigO;4932233]Thanks to all for this thread. I just put a down payment on retirement house in Lewes DE.
    [/QUOTE]

You're not alone, met few folks here from Carroll Co as well as other refugees from MD.; you'll like it in slower lower (Sussex Co). We've been steady interviewing new members @ the Gun Club who migrated here looking for a new range and we also offer DE CCW classes too.

I do miss the Gun Shows in MD, PA & Va. ...............

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    I'm also considering retiring to DE.
    If you're a new resident how do you meet this requirement?
    You still have to get 5 people to sign basically saying you are a good person

Try this site on DE CCW

http://deccw.com/

DE really does not have a Web Site like MDS, don't know why?

I applied for CCW after living here 1 year, only 1 reference knew me for more than 5 years, the other 4 just over an year, they were never contacted but passed the requirement.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks to all for this thread. I just put a down payment on retirement house in Lewes DE.

Is it the Cadbury Right across Rt 9 from Cape Henlopen High School??? their in Lewes? If so that is a great area. They also have their own transportation to go shopping so you dont have to drive on Rt 1 during the weekends in the summer time. Or better yet just stay home or at least off Rt 1 during the summer. That backup at the 5 point intersection goes at least for 2 or 3 miles sometimes.
    Here is a link to the Cape Gazette the local paper as well ::::http://www.capegazette.com/::::

Quixdraw

Feb 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I second the thanks for the information here. We settled on a house in a new development last weekend...will take a year to be built but at least there is a path moving forward (or is that eastward?).

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I second the thanks for the information here. We settled on a house in a new development last weekend...will take a year to be built but at least there is a path moving forward (or is that eastward?).

Where did you buy?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have family in Millsboro, Lewes, Oceanview, Frankford, and Fenwick. I have been looking for something to buy down there, probably between Millsboro and Lewes.

I want more land. Wife wants closer to the beach. My biggest concerns are finding work that will earn my wife and I somewhere around 75% of what we make, and finding good schools for our soon to be HS children.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I have family in Millsboro, Lewes, Oceanview, Frankford, and Fenwick. I have been looking for something to buy down there, probably between Millsboro and Lewes.

I want more land. Wife wants closer to the beach. My biggest concerns are finding work that will earn my wife and I somewhere around 75% of what we make, and finding good schools for our soon to be HS children.

Cape and Indian River HS's are both very good. My sister is a teacher at Georgetown ES.

Quixdraw

Feb 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Where did you buy?

We purchased a home at the Tidewater Landing development. Close enough to shopping and the beach to be convenient; close enough to kayaking and country roads when the beach traffic gets to be too much. Plus it has a basement so no downsizing needed (at least for the stuff that counts).

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    We're seeing new DE residents every week looking for a new Club, Sussex Co is growing so fast. We have several events open to the public; Trap, Steel Pistol, Black Powder and offer DE required CCW course.

I foresee Sussex shooting clubs reaching their capacity in a few short years ..................

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Not really rare, some homes 3/4 blocks from the beach in Rehoboth have basements, ceiling restricted to 6'. Quite a few developments in eastern Sussex offering basements, what's really new is natural gas over propane.

True. My parents bought a lot in Showfield (Lewes) and are about 1500 feet from the Lewes-Reho canal. The house will have a basement and there is no height restriction there.

They'll have nat gas there as well. It would be nice to get it everywhere else. OC and Millsboro have it. It just has to make its way south of Lewes, north of OC and east of Millsboro..

I have 2 lots in Millville (2 miles west of Bethany) and if you dig about 5 feet down you hit water. So no basements there.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    We're seeing new DE residents every week looking for a new Club, Sussex Co is growing so fast. We have several events open to the public; Trap, Steel Pistol, Black Powder and offer DE required CCW course.

I foresee Sussex shooting clubs reaching their capacity in a few short years ..................

Which club?

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I agree about natural gas which is new to Sussex County. If i remember right the line runs along Rt 9 from G'town to 5 points intersection and then down along Rt 1. I do like the idea of using natural gas for cooking and heating as well but have to take in consideration that are is also a flood zone if the big one should hit. You have over by the bay as well along rt 24 but i do think it will be some time before the natural gas line is built over that way i guess it depends on supply and demand. I wonder if it would be worth having a basement in Sussex Cnty over by Lewes or Rehoboth area due to it being a flood zone and if the big one should hit you could end up with a basement full of water and that does open up a whole new can of worms as well. Anyway congrats to you and enjoy!!!

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    I agree about natural gas which is new to Sussex County. If i remember right the line runs along Rt 9 from G'town to 5 points intersection and then down along Rt 1. I do like the idea of using natural gas for cooking and heating as well but have to take in consideration that are is also a flood zone if the big one should hit. You have over by the bay as well along rt 24 but i do think it will be some time before the natural gas line is built over that way i guess it depends on supply and demand. I wonder if it would be worth having a basement in Sussex Cnty over by Lewes or Rehoboth area due to it being a flood zone and if the big one should hit you could end up with a basement full of water and that does open up a whole new can of worms as well. Anyway congrats to you and enjoy!!!

Not all Rehoboth & Lewes in flood zone, some areas are 100 year X Zone, 500 year X Zone and outside the 500 year X Zone. Area's in or outside the 500 X Zone can have basements. Basements have become a big selling point in Eastern Sussex over crawlspaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom