• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob257

Jan 17, 2013
    North Central Carroll Co.
    The younger crowd on these forums won't find this topic interesting. IMO the Remington 760 rifles built prior to 1978 were the slickest, most accurate rifles short of a bolt action. Even then (I could) outshoot some bolt actions.

I've shot over 300 deer with my 760's. Primarily with my 5-Diamond 257 Roberts. Approx. 1/3 third with my later 30.06 and a smattering with my 5 Diamond .222.

I've shot groundhogs with both the Roberts and the .222 to 250 yards and deer at the same range with the Roberts & the 30.06 - I've killed deer at short range woods scenerios as well. All the rifle calibers handle my reloaded ammo very well.

All three rifles are scoped with low profile 3X9 Widefield Redfield scopes from the mid to late 70"s.

Flat out great, reliable, accurate and pretty rifles.

Rob

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have my grandfathers 760 Gamemaster 30-06. Extremely smooth and beautiful as well. Not sure if he ever fired it. I have put a few through it but it is basically new.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The younger crowd on these forums won't find this topic interesting. IMO the Remington 760 rifles built prior to 1978 were the slickest, most accurate rifles short of a bolt action. Even then (I could) outshoot some bolt actions.

I've shot over 300 deer with my 760's. Primarily with my 5-Diamond 257 Roberts. Approx. 1/3 third with my later 30.06 and a smattering with my 5 Diamond .222.

I've shot groundhogs with both the Roberts and the .222 to 250 yards and deer at the same range with the Roberts & the 30.06 - I've killed deer at short range woods scenerios as well. All the rifle calibers handle my reloaded ammo very well.

All three rifles are scoped with low profile 3X9 Widefield Redfield scopes from the mid to late 70"s.

Flat out great, reliable, accurate and pretty rifles.

Rob

Seems like you could have adjusted your sights or scope down a bit. Then you would have hit them...

Never fired a 760. I've seen many of them at the Elk Neck range. They look like slick little shooters. Clean lines too.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Seems like you could have adjusted your sights or scope down a bit. Then you would have hit them...

Never fired a 760. I've seen many of them at the Elk Neck range. They look like slick little shooters.

Mine kicks the living hell out of my shoulder. Good shooter but not a lot of fun to shoot more than a few rounds.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Mine kicks the living hell out of my shoulder. Good shooter but not a lot of fun to shoot more than a few rounds.

I'm not a fan of shooting too many rounds out of non-semi .30-06s either.

Did they come in .243 Winchester?

That would make for a sweet little rifle.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My first deer rifle, and still my favorite. I always liked pump shotguns, so the 760 was for me an extension of that. Bought it in .30-'06 with hunting in Pennsylvania in mind also, where semi's were taboo for hunting, and bolts didn't seem quick enough to a younger me.

Yeah, there's sure enough no nowadays popular recoil pad on a 760. :). Not necessarily the best rifle to lean into if you're looking to be shooting all day at the bench. But they're a sweet rifle, and they'll shoot pretty darned tight too with the right loads. No wood under that barrel. I knew that much before I'd ever heard of "free floated", or why it might matter.

Hog Sniper

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2008
    My first deer rifle and still used today was my Grandfathers 760 in 35 Rem..... BANG.....FLOP...Every time..... Love that gun.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Back in the '80s, a good friend asked me to help him get some accurate loads made up, for his 760 in '06.

Couldn't believe that this pump rifle could produce groups inside of an inch, at a hundred yards, off of sandbags.

He killed a deer that year, in West Virginia. 125 yards. Boom. Thump.

Amazing rifle. I wouldn't mind having one in '06 or .308. (Just for kicks and grins.)

:D

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have a Sportsman 76. Made for a year or two, essentially a budget version of the 760, but with black painted generic hardwood instead of glossy walnut.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    My uncle has a full and carbine version 30-06 as well. The carbine looks to have never been shot. Not easy to find compared to the standard model.

I believe he also has one in .270.

rmocarsky

Apr 20, 2011
    When I first started deer hunting in the early 80s I was the guest of a family that had permission to hunt a large tract of land in Worchester Co.

At that time the "elders" (mostly Korean war and WWII vets) carried 760s in 30.06 open sights or 12 gauge shot guns using rifled slugs. Not very far shots, most under 50 yards.

That family hunted till every tag in the group was filled.

The good ole days.

Those old guys were hard hunters. Some worked for the phone company and built tree stands wwwaaayyy up there, if you know what I mean. Built them so big you could lay down in them for a nap. Some of those guys stayed in them all day long.

Me? I used a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. which I still have to this day.

Rmocarsky

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    When I first started deer hunting in the early 80s I was the guest of a family that had permission to hunt a large tract of land in Worchester Co.

At that time the "elders" (mostly Korean war and WWII vets) carried 760s in 30.06 open sights or 12 gauge shot guns using rifled slugs. Not very far shots, most under 50 yards.

The good ole days.

Those old guys were hard hunters. Some worked for the phone company and built tree stands wwwaaayyy up there, if you know what I mean. Built them so big you could lay down in them for a nap. Some of those guys stayed in them all day long.

Rmocarsky

Sounds like my dad and the 2 other guys he hunts with. The are the only 3 that hunt the property, deer season prep starts a month before opening day, and they stay in stands all day every day for 2 weeks. I can't do it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013

The good ole days.

Rmocarsky

"The elders". :) LMAO. Used to use that term also. Nowadays though, hmmmm. Not so sure it's quite so comical, since WE be THEM!

Funny how that works, in what seems about the blink of an eye....

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Nice rifles.

My Dad has a 50s .30-06.

I worked up a load for it using 165 gr Grand Slam Speer and IMR 4350 that shot sub-MOA.

It would be a top pick to borrow if I were going to do any deer hunting

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    They are nice rifles. The down side is they don't hold value very well.

True. I think 760's are likely more regional than anything. But the good news is, if you're buying, look for a glut of these, as well as perhaps more lever actions like 336's and 94's and 99's, to hit the used rifle racks in PA., in used but not abused shape. IF they finalize lifting the semi hunting ban there.

Marlins and Winnie's and Savage, oh my! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom