• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    So I have had this beast sitting in the gun safe for too long and am looking to purchase an optic for this thing in the next month or so. I wanna know what you all think i should get. Weapon is a Savage 10 FCP .308 wanting to shoot +600m. Let the discussion begin. Side not i have shot leopold a lot and want something different and preferably with a ballistic style reticle.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
      image1.jpg
      115.9 KB · Views: 525

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    do yourself a favor and hit a few long range matches and see what folks are using and ask if you can look thru them. peacemakernational.com holds one monthly.

i will say lots of shooters use nightforce nxs, and i have two myself that work perfectly. both are 5.5-22x56 with MOA reticles. plenty of glass out to 1200 which is the farthest i've shot.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Example... I have 2 308 AR's.. one is a more tactical build, 18" bbl and it sports a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24, the other, a 22" match barrel sports a Vortex Viper 6-24PST. It has all the bells and whistles, busy, lighted reticle, but.... both serve purpose, though different.

I have several Leupold scopes, you can spend a little, or a lot on one. I can tell the difference between the less expensive ones I own versus the more expensive ones, but honestly, they all work well for their intended use and I am not easy on scopes.. my guns are tools, they get used hard.

Some will swear by one brand or the other, but most of the major mfr's offer a very good scope in their top-of-the-line offerings that are very adequate for long range shooting. Try as many as you can... matches, friends at the range, visit some gun shops and just hold them up and look through them.. form your own opinion.. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x on my .308 long distance rifle. I did a lot of research and decided that it was the best bang for the buck. I wanted to stay around $1000, and the scope was around $900.

It has worked well for me out to 1200 yards.

With $2000 to spend, it opens things up a bit.

One thing, I REALLY prefer the reticle and turrets to match, so MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I have a savage 10fcpsr 308 that I put a vortex viper hst 4-16 on with the moa reticle. Used it out to 800 yards with no problems. The scope is great, and have not had trouble with any of my other vortex optics either.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    With that kind of cash I would be looking at the Vortex Razor gen 2. The PST Vipers are decent scopes but the Razor gen 2 is in a class occupied buy $4000 optics and pulling its weight.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    3-18 about $2200, 4.5-24 about $2500. Discounts are available.

Sport Optics has a nice discount for Sniper's Hide members. And no cost to join there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom