• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm not looking for the usual rhetoric we throw around about. I'm seriously wondering if there's a reason that most of those who help run this state act like they think that every bullet fired from a gun summons baby-eating demons.
    Pretty much every state that we share a border with has more lax gun regulations, yet we're the state with with major crime and murder problems. I don't think that's just bad luck.

Is there an actual explanation somewhere in our state's history that can explain why things are like this? In the past month I've spent a week in two separate states that allow their residents to concealed carry in public and buy scary black rifles and I haven't seen any blood in the streets. I'm quite tempted to email O'malley and ask him why he doesn't trust the people in his own state to show this same level of self-control, but I'd probably get back some form letter about public safety.

Anyone have any insights for me?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    You're really concerned about the historical context? What real difference does it make? Do you feel you'll be able to better understand the minds of liberals who run a nanny state?

Good luck with that. Better to focus on how to change it. If you really want the history, go to the sticky in Maryland 2A forum, " In their own words"; there's a few other threads there for history as well.

ReticulateLemur

Oct 29, 2012
    Gun control is all about control not guns.

Then what is it about Maryland that allows this to happen? Why do the majority of Maryland's residents allow themselves to be controlled? Is Maryland secretly some haven for people that enjoy being mothered and told what they can and cannot do?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Maryland is, to a large extent, a matrix of people:
    - dependent or reliant on government for protection and/or sustinence.
    - raised in gentrified subcultures to whom self-reliance and independence is a foreign concept.
    - indoctrinated from childhood to believe that subservience to government authority is natural.
    - who work within the government/contractor complex and thus subject to the paradigm that people outside government need to be 'governed', rather than served.

iSHOOT

Jan 6, 2010
    AA County
    You take a city like Baltimore with their crime rate, add the high population, mix in a few "its for the children" speeches and what do you get? An easy win in elections. I don't think its about crime or guns, its about staying in office or making a career move to a higher one and that's what works here. People are tired of violence but not everyone wants to be responsible for their own safety (or anything else for that matter). Hell I'm sure we can all remember getting a knock on the door from police at one time or another just to turn the music down...if someone can't do something as easy as knock on your door themselves they sure won't do a whole lot more

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    - raised in gentrified subcultures to whom self-reliance and independence is a foreign concept.
    - indoctrinated from childhood to believe that subservience to government authority is natural.
    - who work within the government/contractor complex and thus subject to the paradigm that people outside government need to be 'governed', rather than served.

I think you'll find the western part of the state quite different.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Then what is it about Maryland that allows this to happen? Why do the majority of Maryland's residents allow themselves to be controlled? Is Maryland secretly some haven for people that enjoy being mothered and told what they can and cannot do?

In a word, yes.

We have a lot of social idealists here(particularly in hoco/moco) who believe it's the government's job to force people to be responsible/moral. Then we also have a lot of impoverished folks who are content with whatever goes on so long as they get their bread and circuses.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011

Good points.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I think you'll find the western part of the state quite different.

And the eastern shore, but in the populous counties we're a minority - that's why I added "to a large extent". Not all Marylanders are helpless idiots, just an unfortunately high % of them.

Scratched onto a piece of slate and carried by specially trained prehistoric birds.

tdant

Jul 31, 2012

Geography and demographics probably play a role. Md is smaller and more concentrated than it's neighbours. The wealthy live right on the heels of major crime coming from two big cities, dc and bmore. Central MD runs the state and it is filled with very wealthy people surrounded by poverty. When the middle class and upper class consume themselves with materialism and consumerism, they really don't care what happens to their neighbor as long as they are "safe". Since they are caught up in consumerism, safety becomes a commodity sold by the govt/police. Our neighbours don't have such a similar problem probably because there is more geography in those states that anchor the state from being completely over run by city/suburb consumerism culture. Speaking of culture honestly maryland suburb culture is different than the surrounding states as well.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    Simply put it is a Race related problem. 90% of all gun laws were put in place to keep guns out of slaves hands after the emancipation in the 1800's. This translates into states that were battle grounds for civil rights: LA, Chicago, New York, DC, roits in Baltimore. Point being the control factors were put in place during the exercise of militant civil rights leaders, who were using arms in their civil protest. Those same cities have the highest crime rates and the strictest gun laws. This is why the laws were put in place, and Maryland is caught in that wash. PA has more people in their rural areas that over shawdow Philadelphia. It is the one exception to this rule.

salmonspark

Sep 15, 2013
    It's so they have the guns and not you. Look at the legislation about what's banned. They tried to ban a barrel shroud. The legislators have no idea what they're even talking about.

Sent from my Venue 7 3730 using Tapatalk

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011
    I think this is a more reasonable answer........ at some point the state became liberal. The people with these liberal ideas passed them down to their kids and so and so forth for some odd generations until now. These beliefs over time have been perverted through the telephone wire effect to "my daddy voted democrat so I will too". Now because they are voting democrap with out doing their own research they are going to listen to everything the media and democrats tell them. Now the two parties have to be opposites in belief, polarized if you will, so it is simpler for people comprehend. This left the democrats to be anti gun and in order for these politicians to keep getting reelected (that's all any politician really ever cares about except for a rare few) they can't stray from the parties common practices or else they will be shunned like the stray dogs they are.

That's just my take on it at least. Not really any true reasons to be anti, just another way to split the people for personal gain.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Here's the truth , everyone knows it , but no one wants to talk about , it's the gun violence in the inner city , I'm not a racist ,so don't say it , i treat each man on a individual basis , .. That's the problem here in md ..

isn't racist it's the truth O'Reilly spoke about blacks being the majority being born out of wedlock it's a epidemic not to mention the genocide they cause to their own race over drugs and gang signs stupidity

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom