• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    Has anyone ever hunted deer, bear, Turkey, etc in Dolly Sods? Me and a buddy are wanting to attempt a camp and hunt type trip without forking the money to go out west just yet. Kind of thinking of it as a trial run for an out west trip.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I haven't hunted there but I've seen plenty of all of the above in the Sods. Go a little farther down FR19 to the area called The Roaring Plains. Much less people there and more wildlife.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i haven't hunted there but we've seen plenty of each while hiking in and around there. also consider gwnf in va.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Has anyone ever hunted deer, bear, Turkey, etc in Dolly Sods? Me and a buddy are wanting to attempt a camp and hunt type trip without forking the money to go out west just yet. Kind of thinking of it as a trial run for an out west trip.

I live near Dolly Sods and have a large chunk of acreage that backs up to DS and the Roaring Plains. I hunt my property which is continuous with the above, so it is similar. Dolly Sods gets a lot of hikers, even during hunting season. You would do better going over to the Roaring Plains as it gets less traffic. This has been a strange season for the deer. We've experienced a pretty significant drought (we are finally getting the rain now, but are down significantly for the year.
    Before the drought, I was getting good deer movement in my higher elevations (above 3k'), as the drought got worse I was seeing less and less deer on my game cameras up the mountain as the deer moved down into the valleys. I'm hoping the rain brings them back up. I saw a 4-point this weekend trailing a doe, so maybe the rut is starting, that will bring the bucks back up the mountains also.

Anyway, that is my 2-cents worth.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I got family with a big farm near Cabins, borders the Monongahela national Forest. Keep your eyes open, this big boys picture was taken just a few weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom