• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Need recommendation for my first pistol ootic.

The gun is a Polymer80 Glock 19. I don't want to break the bank but I want reasonable quality.

Thanks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    there are a handful of carry optics threads on brianenos.com. here's one.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/...eliable-red-optic-these-days-for-carry-optic/

i have a couple of vortex vipers. from the measurements i've gotten from the manufacturers, i think this dot sits lowest to the bottom of the optic frame. that puts it closer to the height of regular iron sights, so for me makes it easier to pick up the dot, really the #1 problem with handgun optics. others say the width/size of the glass is the biggest factor in being able to acquire the dot faster, so an optic like the trijicon sro would be a good pick even though the dot does sit higher.

is your slide milled for a certain optic footprint? if so, that will determine your options. also, if you get it milled, vs a plate system, that will let the optic sit a little further down again getting the dot closer to regular iron sight heights.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    i have a couple of vortex vipers. from the measurements i've gotten from the manufacturers, i think this dot sits lowest to the bottom of the optic frame. that puts it closer to the height of regular iron sights, so for me makes it easier to pick up the dot, really the #1 problem with handgun optics. others say the width/size of the glass is the biggest factor in being able to acquire the dot faster, so an optic like the trijicon sro would be a good pick even though the dot does sit higher.

is your slide milled for a certain optic footprint? if so, that will determine your options. also, if you get it milled, vs a plate system, that will let the optic sit a little further down again getting the dot closer to regular iron sight heights.

The slide has not been purchased yet. Would like to buy one killed for the optic. I assume that means a widely available optic.

Will check out the Enos threads.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've used the Type-1 and Type-2 RMRs, the Burris Fastfire3, and the Holosun HS507C... hard use. Thousands of rounds. I'd pick the Holosun HS507C over any of them. Haven't tried the HS507Cv2, but I'd imagine it's a step up over the original.

Don't cheap out on the slide. The Brownells one is excellent. One of the screws on the RMR intersects with the extractor plunger channel, and if you **** up the screw length, it will absolutely result in extraction issues. Something like an AOS slide cut may be worthwhile.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have used the Vortex Viper, Trijicon RMR, and Holosun HS507c. I don't think there is a better pistol optic to learn on than the 507c. The EOTech style reticle allows for a very forgiving draw, whereas the RMR is going to punish you until you get everything right (my opinion, YMMV). If you decide the EOTech reticle needs to go because you don't like it or you've gotten everything right and don't find yourself "fishing" for the dot when you bring the pistol up, you just switch the reticle to a normal red dot. It's basically like training wheels. Or you might decide you like the EOTech reticle full time. I typically run that in 2 gun when red dots on pistols don't throw me into open class. Super fast and very forgiving.

Whatever optic you go with, I strongly suggest you don't slave the dot to your irons. It's fine to line the dot up with them to get on paper, but you're really missing out on the main benefits of shooting with a pistol red dot if you don't zero it at a given distance like you would a red dot on a rifle. I suggest 25 meters, but some people like other distances.

One final suggestion: give the Aimpoint ACRO another year or two. I personally think Aimpoint still has a couple issues they need to work out with that optic. It is a great concept but Holosun has already released a competitor that has leapfrogged it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Burris is usually a good value and shouldn't break the bank.
    I've had a lot of good use out of my FF3, which runs counter to all the people telling me it would never hold up to pistol recoil. Only problem I ever had with it was stripping out the battery cover threads once, and they replaced the whole unit. The Fastfire4 looks like an improvement, too, but it's not out yet.

I have also have a DPP, but haven't taken it out to shoot with yet, so wouldn't want to weigh in too heavily on it in terms of reliability. Everything else about it seems alright, and the large window is definitely kinda neat.

Boats

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have no experience with them but see-all sights look interesting.

https://seeallopensight.com/

I do have thousands of rounds through Trijicon RMRs, Burris Fastfire 2 and 3 and Vortex Viper. All have been great. Personally, I like the Burris over the Vortex due to less tint on the lens but all have been reliable.

Will have to check out Holosun.

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    I've tried going the less expensive route on a couple of red dots, and have been disappointed every time.

I would rather wait and save up to get something I'll be happy with and know is well built. The trijicon rm06/07 or the holosun 507c are good choices, and ones you won't have to/want to switch out later.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've tried going the less expensive route on a couple of red dots, and have been disappointed every time.

I would rather wait and save up to get something I'll be happy with and know is well built. The trijicon rm06/07 or the holosun 507c are good choices, and ones you won't have to/want to switch out later.

You should take a serious look at the Trij SRO. I have the RM06/07 and the SRO both and like the SRO way more for just a few shekels more. Way better sight picture.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have no experience with them but see-all sights look interesting.
    Field of view on them is awful, and I would not recommend them for pistol usage. I am not sure who their market is now that the micro-RDS optics have matured in reliability... maybe people who just absolutely don't want batteries and can't afford the dual-illuminated RMRs.

One other big benefit of the Holosun HS507 series of sights is that the circle dot reticle is much easier to keep in the window if you mess up on your recoil control or transitions.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I have 3 of these a Trijicon RMR which I like very much the wife and kids not so much. I have a sig Romeo 1 which is ok but I'm going to use that on my pistol AR. I also have the Sig Romeo 1 Pro which I really, really like. They are hard to get but I think it was worth the wait. If I had to pick the Romeo 1 pro would be it, followed by the RMR and then I would go vortex next. The Romeo 1 is ok but I'll be honest I won't buy another one.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017

The Trijicon RMR type 2 and Holosun 507c + family (there quite a few versions: stripped down to just a red dot, titanium, fully enclosed, etc) are the gold standard as far as durability goes too. They can take a lot of abuse and not break. They don't have as big a field of view as the more fragile optics like Leupold Delta Point Pro or Trijicon SRO, but that doesn't matter as much if you shoot both eyes open.

That said most of the other modern miniature red dots do just fine on pistols as long as you are careful not to drop them on the optic or huck them against trees or whatever. It's hard to pick a bad one as long as you go with a reputable brand.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• 20200419_140749.jpg
      20200419_140749.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 180

HSTD

Mar 25, 2020
    Clear Spring
    Gotcha.

The SRO is being pushed as comp/hunting sight. In my case, a 6" 10mm

Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great optic with a much larger viewing area.

Unfortunately my ability to unintentionally break stuff, is pretty awesome! :)

Great looking 10mm by the way!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, it looks like a great optic with a much larger viewing area.

Unfortunately my ability to unintentionally break stuff, is pretty awesome! :)

Great looking 10mm by the way!

Thanks. I hear ya. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom