• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    The purpose of this thread is to post information about Anne Arundel's Gun Violence Prevention Task Force.

The next meeting is Thursday, 20 June at 6:00 in the Pascal Center for Performing Arts 101 College Parkway Arnold, MD 21012 Room 219. If you live or work in Anne Arundel County, you should attend.

Several of us attended the first meeting in May. We saw a group dedicated to dialog and seeking to understand "Gun violence". We also saw a group with representatives or board members from two national gun control groups, a Moms board member appointed their communications lead, and an Annapolis anti-gun group represented.

The County Executive spoke. He owns a gun! He has subsequently called for an "Arms Control Agreement" for Anne Arundel County.

It was pointed out to the Chief of Staff running this Task Force that there were no representatives from MSRPA or MSI.

After our discussion, I spoke with the County Executive about the composition of membership as defined by the Executive Order. We do not believe adding additional members would be prudent at this time. If the task force recommends in their preliminary report that the administration expand the membership, we will consider a formal change at that time.

As I mentioned at the meeting, I am also happy to serve as your conduit to bring information to the group. You are certainly welcome to attend all meetings and submit resources and testimony.

The agenda is clear. This group is only slightly focused on suicides (>60% of "gun violence") or drug/gang issues (>30%). They want to control what guns you buy, how you store them, and where you take them. They want to confiscate guns. Anne Arundel's Red Flag law was repeatedly praised. It was noted that AACO leads the state in confiscations.

The task force is chaired by a local bishop whose son was killed in a drug-related shooting. The vice-chairs are widows from the Capital shooting.

The Capital has entered this debate heavily on the anti-gun side. Gun owners are "crackpots". We must stand ready to counter their reporting.

Your presence will be important to witness this Task Farce. We have been promised there will be public testimony. We must own any public testimony.

I'm very aware that the final report is likely already written. Nevertheless, I do not want to make it easy for them.

Last edited:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I'm also thinking the meetings may need some signs.

bf75daf8c96fecd8015a3e02ec3ecaf1.jpg

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Good info on the website! The meetings will be changing location, but always the third Thursday, 6-8.

The minutes from the 16 May meeting are here: https://www.aacounty.org/boards-and-commissions/gun-violence-task-force/minutes/20190516.pdf.

Look at the makeup of the "citizen" members:

Bishop Charles Carroll, Chair

Andrea Chamblee, Vice Chair - Widow of Capital reporter

Maria Hiaasen, Vice Chair - Widow of Capital reporter

Jamie Benoit, former County Councilmember, District 4 (2006 - 2014)

Dawn Stoltzfus, communications professional and member of Moms Demand Action

Victoria Bayless, President & CEO, Anne Arundel Medical Center

Sue Ward, Vice President for Operations, Baltimore Washington Medical Center

Mackenzie Boughey, Anne Arundel County student; March for Our Lives organizer

Bob Bates, former member, Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence

Jennifer Sowers, Director of the Anne Arundel County Parent Coalition

Elizabeth Ruddy, Anne Arundel County Public Schools teacher

Iris Krasnow, author and columnist at The Capital - Board Member, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

Sergeant James Spearman, retired Annapolis Police officer, member of the Caucus of African-American Leaders

Jackie Allsup, Anne Arundel County NAACP

Alba Reyes, Hispanic community leader - Insurance agent

Elizabeth Banach, Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence

Stacy Korbelak, Professor - Democrat Central Committee member

Chris Moore, Citizen - Program Director for Information and Assistance, Anne Arundel Department of Aging

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Good info on the website! The meetings will be changing location, but always the third Thursday, 6-8.

The minutes from the 16 May meeting are here: https://www.aacounty.org/boards-and-commissions/gun-violence-task-force/minutes/20190516.pdf.

Look at the makeup of the "citizen" members:

Bishop Charles Carroll, Chair

Andrea Chamblee, Vice Chair - Widow of Capital reporter

Maria Hiaasen, Vice Chair - Widow of Capital reporter

Jamie Benoit, former County Councilmember, District 4 (2006 - 2014)

Dawn Stoltzfus, communications professional and member of Moms Demand Action

Victoria Bayless, President & CEO, Anne Arundel Medical Center

Sue Ward, Vice President for Operations, Baltimore Washington Medical Center

Mackenzie Boughey, Anne Arundel County student; March for Our Lives organizer

Bob Bates, former member, Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence

Jennifer Sowers, Director of the Anne Arundel County Parent Coalition

Elizabeth Ruddy, Anne Arundel County Public Schools teacher

Iris Krasnow, author and columnist at The Capital - Board Member, Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

Sergeant James Spearman, retired Annapolis Police officer, member of the Caucus of African-American Leaders

Jackie Allsup, Anne Arundel County NAACP

Alba Reyes, Hispanic community leader - Insurance agent

Elizabeth Banach, Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence

Stacy Korbelak, Professor - Democrat Central Committee member

Chris Moore, Citizen - Program Director for Information and Assistance, Anne Arundel Department of Aging

IMHO Everyone on the board wants to take away the rights of the people of Maryland to defend themselves and their family while out of the home. They want to "remove" any and ALL Guns from the law abiding citizens of Maryland and I would not be surprised that they wrote the final report before the first meeting saying ,in a nutshell, use any and all means legal and mabe semi legal as well to remove firearms from the people of MD. End of story..

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    The group discussed educating the public using statistics and the need to change the tone of discussion. Creating a unified statement of what we are doing was
    recommended.

One member noted that 90% agrees with us and it isn’t worth the time to engage the other 10% and suggested the Dawn Stoltzfus write a statement/policy. Dawn agreed that how we talk is important and to include responsible gun owners. There was a reference
    to the recent AACo polling on gun safety.

This is the equivalent of having a bunch of slave owners forming a committee to determine the rights of slaves.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Step one.... Keep your AA county trash in AA county.. 17-yo Brandon Allen Jackson, charged as an adult; and 21-year-old Terrence Massey Jr. and the dead and gone Marquis Weems, 17 and an unidentified 15yo. All from Anne Arundel County

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    This is the equivalent of having a bunch of slave owners forming a committee to determine the rights of slaves.

This

I going to attend but I can't take off work, so I may come in a little late, but the minutes said the last adjourned at 7:45p so I still be able to get the most out of it.

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    We should do this for all the "gun deaths" published. I looked up the "Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence" Facebook page where they listed the deaths from last week. Then I pulled up the ones I could find on MD Case Search.

Marquis Weems, 17, Annapolis (gun store robbery, police shooting)
    handgun on person
    poss of firearm minor
    handgun in vehicle
    school: disturb operation
    cds:possess-not marijuana
    reg firearm:stolen/sell

Taven Lowther, 29, Baltimore
    2nd deg assault
    assault LEO
    resist
    trespass

Brandon Silver, 22, Baltimore
    possession of firearm as minor
    carry/possession of stolen firearm
    att 1st deg murder
    att 2nd deg murder
    1st deg assault
    2nd deg assault
    armed robbery
    use of firearm in felony crime
    discharging firearm

Davone Brooks aka Damon Brooks, 33, Baltimore
    att 1st deg murder
    att 2nd deg murder
    assault 1st deg
    ass 2nd deg
    firearm use in felony crime
    carry firearm
    burglary
    theft
    armed robbery
    att 1st deg murder

Terrell Matthews, 34, Baltimore
    CDS (multiple)
    CDS distributed w/firearm

Derle Brooks, 37, Baltimore
    assault 2nd deg
    assault 1st deg
    Dist narcotics(multiple)
    Poss CDS (multiple)

Reggie Horne, 25, District Heights
    armed robbery
    robbery
    assault 1st deg
    assault 2nd deg
    assault LEO
    burglary
    theft
    use handgun/crime of viol/comm
    pos reg firearm/ammunition-under 21

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019

Attachments

• 5842458E-D667-4140-8F3B-757261CB1A62.jpg
      5842458E-D667-4140-8F3B-757261CB1A62.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 861
    • 62C44AE5-2B97-4AC7-AC55-864B237AE8F9.jpg
      62C44AE5-2B97-4AC7-AC55-864B237AE8F9.jpg
      71.8 KB · Views: 846
    • C93D8E28-86BE-4C2D-A72E-BDA4B42804CE.jpg
      C93D8E28-86BE-4C2D-A72E-BDA4B42804CE.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 842
    • 5F37F37C-A525-45FD-8F2E-799A65F46783.jpg
      5F37F37C-A525-45FD-8F2E-799A65F46783.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 855

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    The mission statement of the AACo TF posted above says it is “researching and compiling data on crimes and suicide involving guns.”

If it was interested in protecting law-abiding citizens, it should say: “researching and compiling data on criminals and the mentally ill using guns.”

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    We should do this for all the "gun deaths" published. I looked up the "Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence" Facebook page where they listed the deaths from last week. Then I pulled up the ones I could find on MD Case Search.

Marquis Weems, 17, Annapolis (gun store robbery, police shooting)
    cds:possess-not marijuana

Terrell Matthews, 34, Baltimore
    CDS (multiple)
    CDS distributed w/firearm

Derle Brooks, 37, Baltimore
    Poss CDS (multiple)

I figured CDS was drug-related, but I couldn't fill in the acronym. Consulting the interwebs revealed: Controlled Dangerous Substance.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I hope the Task Force recommends passing a law making violence illegal. Maybe have a "progressive" structure with differing penalties proportionate to the degree of violence inflicted or attempted.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    What is gun violence? When I guy kills someone while driving drunk, is it alcohol violence or car violence?

Death by any means is violent to me, Other than natural causes.

How many Americans are really addicted to opioids?

The survey found that 11.5 million people, or nearly 5 percent of the population, misused prescription opioids they'd obtained through illicit means. About 1.9 million Americans (0.8 percent) reported full-fledged opioid addiction.

Domestic Violence Statistics
    Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
    Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
    Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
    Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
    Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.

gcwood

Continental Soldier
    Jun 26, 2013
    AACO Gun "Task Force" Meeting Location Update!!!

The location given for the meeting in the prior post is WRONG! It is at Anne Arundel Community College but it is in the CADE building, Room 219, NOT the Pascal Center. Cade is on the west side of campus. It is best accessed from Route 2 by entering the college at the light where the YMCA is. CADE is at the top of the hill on the right.

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    Thank you for your vigilance, but all of the meeting location information for the AACo Task Farce meeting tomorrow night (Thursday, June 20th) in this thread is CORRECT.

(The “prior post” you are probably referring to was posted in another thread back on May 16, 2019, and the TF meeting location was subsequently changed. The post you are presumably referring to was a screenshot of an informational handout provided by AACo at the adjournment of the last AACo Task Farce meeting.)

The official AACo website for the TF states the correct meeting location, which was posted correctly in the OP of this thread.

Good that you mentioned this discrepancy, in case anyone else might be confused by the AACo change of meeting location for tomorrow night’s meeting.

The correct meeting location is re-posted in the next post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom