• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not sure that's why it's being done. The Senator or Delegate proposing the legislation doesn't have to stay anyway (Del Ivey noped out of there immediately after presenting his bill Tuesday at 2am) and many of them have other hearings throughout the day that they have to leave for.

Even if they stay, there's no guarantee they'll listen (afaik Del Dumais was on her phone the entire time people were testifying against her bill).

Personally, I wish there was a rule that required them to stay, maybe would cut down on some of the 'legislation for legislation's sake' as it were.

The committee however, will stay for the whole thing. I'm not sure what the requirements there are, but just leaving when there's still testimony if there's not some sort of emergency is just not done, according to MGA veteran staffers I know. They are there to hear your concerns, and from my experience they give the job at least that much respect. You will see them eating at the desk for these hearings, its just expected of them to be there as part of being on the committee.

For instance, House Judiciary committee chair (Del. Clippinger) was there almost the whole time on Monday/Tuesday for the 18-hour hearing, and from what I heard he was nothing short of respectful and courteous the entire time.

It was my first time, but I saw a lot of empty chairs Monday night. Some come, go, come back (longer than potty breaks)...others were never there.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So like a dumbass I think I left my tablet in the overflow room. If someone sees it itd be on the left side of the room close to the center and has a Calvin and Hobbes background

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    I'm not sure that's why it's being done. The Senator or Delegate proposing the legislation doesn't have to stay anyway (Del Ivey noped out of there immediately after presenting his bill Tuesday at 2am) and many of them have other hearings throughout the day that they have to leave for.

Even if they stay, there's no guarantee they'll listen (afaik Del Dumais was on her phone the entire time people were testifying against her bill).

Personally, I wish there was a rule that required them to stay, maybe would cut down on some of the 'legislation for legislation's sake' as it were.

The committee however, will stay for the whole thing. I'm not sure what the requirements there are, but just leaving when there's still testimony if there's not some sort of emergency is just not done, according to MGA veteran staffers I know. They are there to hear your concerns, and from my experience they give the job at least that much respect. You will see them eating at the desk for these hearings, its just expected of them to be there as part of being on the committee.

For instance, House Judiciary committee chair (Del. Clippinger) was there almost the whole time on Monday/Tuesday for the 18-hour hearing, and from what I heard he was nothing short of respectful and courteous the entire time.

I only saw Del Moonbeam there maybe 10-20% of the total time during Monday’s hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    so missed beginning of 737 testimony. I have feed running. is there a way to go back to see beginning? The timeline bar on bottom doesn't work. only think I can see by using timeline is some slides.

Last edited:

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    So like a dumbass I think I left my tablet in the overflow room. If someone sees it itd be on the left side of the room close to the center and has a Calvin and Hobbes background

The password is: HeresYourSign

DO NOT open the file labeled Clowns.

Yous should get it back, sir. Most of the folks there are the finest kind.

j634

Feb 15, 2013
    Testimony complete for these:
    0 SB0737 Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Transactions (only 2 panels gave testimony)
    1 SB0676 Criminal Procedure - Postconviction Review - State's Motion to Vacate
    2 SB0569 Public Safety - Rape Kit Testing Grant Fund - Established
    3 SB0767 Criminal Procedure - Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kits - Analysis
    4 SB0685 Criminal Procedure - Supervised Probation - Convicted Sex Offenders

On #5 at the moment.
    5 SB0779 Division of Parole and Probation - Central Home Detention Unit - Powers

Still left to go:
    6 SB0599 Immigration Enforcement - County Boards of Education, Public Institutions of Higher Education, and Hospitals - Policies
    7 SB0748 Criminal Procedure - Conditional Release
    8 SB0750 Incompetency and Criminal Responsibility - Release Hearing - Exceptions
    9 SB0691 Criminal Procedure - Motion to Vacate Judgment - Human Trafficking (True Freedom Act of 2019)
    10 SB0627 Criminal Procedure - Initial Appearance - Probable Cause
    11 SB0833 Criminal Procedure - Expungement - Expansion
    12 SB0666 Public Safety - Maryland Police Training and Standards Commission - Acceptance of Out-of-State Training
    13 SB0664 Criminal Procedure - Forfeiture of Firearms - Sale to Dealer
    14 SB0882 Criminal Law – Firearms – Computer–Aided Fabrication and Serial Number (3–D Printed Firearms and Ghost Guns)

Will return to SB0737 for public comment after all other bills.
    Looks like another long evening.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    The committee is on SB 599 now. The irony is incredible. Hearings to block state government cooperation with ICE for real criminals, and a bill that could criminalize law abiding citizens for not complying with a scheme to license a constitutional right on the same day.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Order of bills today as read by the Chairman

0 SB0737 Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Transactions (only 2 panels first)
    1 SB0676 Criminal Procedure - Postconviction Review - State's Motion to Vacate
    2 SB0569 Public Safety - Rape Kit Testing Grant Fund - Established
    3 SB0767 Criminal Procedure - Sexual Assault Evidence Collection Kits - Analysis
    4 SB0685 Criminal Procedure - Supervised Probation - Convicted Sex Offenders
    5 SB0779 Division of Parole and Probation - Central Home Detention Unit - Powers
    6 SB0599 Immigration Enforcement - County Boards of Education, Public Institutions of Higher Education, and Hospitals - Policies
    7 SB0748 Criminal Procedure - Conditional Release
    8 SB0750 Incompetency and Criminal Responsibility - Release Hearing - Exceptions
    9 SB0691 Criminal Procedure - Motion to Vacate Judgment - Human Trafficking (True Freedom Act of 2019)
    10 SB0627 Criminal Procedure - Initial Appearance - Probable Cause
    11 SB0833 Criminal Procedure - Expungement - Expansion
    12 SB0666 Public Safety - Maryland Police Training and Standards Commission - Acceptance of Out-of-State Training
    13 SB0664 Criminal Procedure - Forfeiture of Firearms - Sale to Dealer
    14 SB0882 Criminal Law – Firearms – Computer–Aided Fabrication and Serial Number (3–D Printed Firearms and Ghost Guns)

Back to 737 after all the other bills.

They are just getting underway on SB 748

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    From this morning - Rack having the AM pow-wow with the po-po. It was all good.

Attachments

• 20190227_093355.jpg
      20190227_093355.jpg
      118.5 KB · Views: 489

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is true, and we probably should send him a nice thank-you letter. I get the impression he was overwhelmed by the turnout.

Pro tip: Gun grabbing is like licking a frozen third rail. Bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom