• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Holosun. Been using one for a while now and I’m sold. Mounted it on a 12g and it took a beating this past fall. Put it back on a rifle and it still runs like a champ. Only complaint is the torque screw bit size they use.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Romeos are very nice. But if you want cheap red dot, the Bushnell TRS 25 works pretty well. These were 150 retail just a few years ago but can now be had on Amazon for around 50 bucks shipped. You will need a riser. A UTG mid or hi riser will allow co witness with flip up sights.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I will also echo the TRS-25 recommendation. Whatever Bushnell did when spec'ing them out, it made them insanely tough for their price. I remember a story told on a P&S modcast about a police unit running them on their shotguns in a lengthy class... the instructor skeptically predicted none would survive the course, yet they all did. I run mine on an M11/9 SMG, in fact. It's not exactly a perfect optic, but if you just want something to slap on a rail and work, you could do a lot worse.

Back when Primary Arms was blowing out Romeo4Ms for $200, that was also a really solid choice. Hard to find the US-assembled ones these days, but they work quite nicely. Any of the newer Holosun optics are also reasonable choices.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I like my TRS-25's I just always forget to turn them off. The Romeos are more but they come with a high/low riser, are tough, and have the auto on/off feature. By the time you get a Bushnell and a riser ~$75 for $125 you might as well get a Sig. Holosun makes the Sig Romeo 5 with Sig branding. I may start getting the solar powered Holosun version soon.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    For me a carbine is fairly close to intermediate engagement arm...or used in similar games. I prefer a dot because high precision isn't the task. It is faster to acquire a dot or circle than crosshairs...illuminated or not illuminated.

That said, last multigun I shot I couldn't see three smaller 50 yard targets against the dark background of that stage, even just looking. I didn't engage...should have, lower penalties...duh. One very good open class shooter couldn't see them with his scope until he zoomed up. I didn't feel so bad, then. So now I have gone the way of the Strike Eagle. Had a similar lower end illiminated variable awhile back so now is a more earnest try with the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom