• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Looking for the best value (cheap) in either a suitable scope or I am thinking about a reflex sight.

I currently have a Nikon P-223 (refurbished) on one rifle and it's fine. (3X32, $100)

Under $200. Range use. Suggestions, please.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    After my experience with a very cheap reflex that was probably better suited for an airsoft rifle, I am now using a SightMark reflex on my AR and have found it to work nicely and be strong enough to take some abuse. It is supposed to stand up to .50 caliber recoil. It holds zero well and with both red and green dots should be easy for most shooters to find a setting that works for them.
    I paid around $100 for it shipped and I have seen them on sale for less since. They have a limited lifetime warranty, too.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Vortex Spark $200
    Holosun $170
    PA Micro Dot $150
    Bushnell 1-4x $225
    Leupold VX-1 3-9x4 $170
    ...really depends what you want the optic for. Hunting? Bench target shooting? 3-gun? Clearing Mom's basement, over and over and over again?

Outside of your $200 window, but I have a like-new, in box, Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 with the AR BDC reticle if you want it, I can sell for $340 (retails $365-399). You'd have to get a mount, which is cheap.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have heard GREAT things about Holosun, even from SF guys that say they would trust it for combat

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Literally impossible to go wrong with Vortex. Many choices below $200. Lifetime warranty!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Vortex Spitfire is nice, and comes with a cantilevered mount. The tube is a little bigger than the Sparc (which I also have and recommend) if you’re used to a scope optic instead of red-dots, like me. I got used to both the Sparc & the Spitfire, no long term results for me to report but I love them so far. I’m a huge fan of Vortex (7 optics from them now & love all of them). Plus the unlimited lifetime warranty is nice.

I also agree with GuitarmanNick, the Sightmark is pretty nice too, and for only about $100. I bought this for a Wyndham AR as a precursor to spending huge dollars on an Eotech (they looked to be similar in size and reticles to me) since I myself wasn’t familiar with this style red-dot. I got the Sightmark with the quick disconnect mount, it has multiple selectable reticles and can switch from red to green as stated. This style is a little easier for both eyes open shooting since you don’t have the tube to look thru. It turns out I like this type of red-dot a little better than the tube-type, so I made the leap for the $$$ Eotech for my SCAR16. Gotta be honest, with limited range time with both the Sightmark & the Eotech I can’t personally tell much difference. Others may have more discerning tastes, and with more experience and harder usage with both maybe my opinion will change as well, who knows? For less than $200 I doubt you can go wrong with the two Vortex options or the Sightmark. Good luck.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Primary arms site has some nice budget sights. I also like sightmark for plinking, and safe queens, they carry a lifetime warranty and many of their sights are more reflex sights ( EOtech square) as opposed to tubular RDS.

TreadNot

May 11, 2012
    Bel Air
    This is probably heresy to some, but check out reviews for CVLIFE scopes. Very, very cheap (sub $50), but there are some very positive reviews of them on Amazon and YouTube. And if you don't like what you get, Amazon is good about getting you a replacement or returning your money.
    OK, I've donned my asbestos suit for the incoming flameage.
    :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Natchez has a pretty good sale with 10% off coupon that ends tonight.

Go to this link ...

https://www.natchezss.com/clearance.html

Select filter options for "optics" and order by whichever way you like ("price" might be good so you can narrow your search).

After you add to cart, try this coupon to see if it works ...

P190322
    https://www.natchezss.com/conditions/terms.html

It's for clearance items only.

I've picked up a lot of scopes from Natchez and always been satisfied with their service.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Sightmark does have a lifetime warranty and on an AR would not think twice though I have heard stories of sight marks holding up to 12 gauge shots

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Sightmark does have a lifetime warranty and on an AR would not think twice though I have heard stories of sight marks holding up to 12 gauge shots

I have only some experiance with UTG, Vortex, and Holosun. Personally, I like the Vortex and Holosun. The Vortex I have is more like the traditional red dot sight. They have a great warranty, and stand fully behind their products. Even if it is an older model of their line, I know of one guy that had the older model Strikefire and they replaced it with the Strikefire II.

My Holosun, is more like a EOTEC holographic site. I like it the best because of the view field. I can keep both eyes open with it. It can be powered by the sun and has a battery. Build tough in my opinion without being heavy.

The UTG is something to use... Well plink with. I'm not convinced it would stand up to field abuse. But I do like the fact I can select a red or green sight image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom