• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    And the "Shitty grip" in a panic is why I hate my wifes (for her) M&P EZ with the grip safety,, it has refused to fire when she does "panic shooting" drills
    And there is sometimes you might need to twist the pistol in your hand to the left or right like when turning a corner or laying down.
    It's an advanced skill, but still. That grip will definitely release that squeeze safety.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    Here would be my advice, assuming you have access to a shot timer and a place where you can draw and shoot.

Shoot Tom Givens' Rangemaster "Core Skills Test". It is a 40 round course of a fire (so less than a box of ammo) that you will shoot from 3 to 25 yards. It incorporates the slightest bit of movement (a sidestep, of dubious value, but easy to do even in a shooting booth at an indoor range), strong-hand only and weak-hand only work, reloads, head shots, etc. One of the good things is that it can be shot at a variety of different targets and utilizes Comstock scoring so that, when you're done, you'll find yourself within a "range" of scores. You can then, in order to improve, identify what areas you were most deficient in (speed up close, accuracy at distance, taking the extra half-beat on head shots, slow on reloads, recoil control on the Bill Drill stage, etc.) and then WORK ON THOSE INDIVIDUAL skills.

Also, Givens has partially developed the Core Skills Test to reflect the type of shootings his students (65, I believe) have been involved in (all but three won their fights.....those who did not were unarmed the day they needed a gun). MOST of the shots are up close, but there are SOME at distance. I should also mention that the stats of his student gunfights are similar to those of FBI and DEA agents, half of whose shootings each year occur when their agents in plainclothes are mistaken for Joe Schmo and experience an attempted armed robbery or assault.

Here is the Core Skills Test:

3 yds From Concealed Holster Sidestep, Draw 4 rds
    5 yds From Concealed Holster Sidestep, Draw 3 chest, 2 head
    5 yds Low Ready Strong-hand only 4 rds
    5 yds Low Ready Support-hand only 5 rds
    7 yds From Concealed Holster Draw 6 rds (this is a Bill Drill)
    7 yds Low Ready 3 rds loaded in gun 3 rds, reload, 3 more rounds
    10 yds From Concealed Holster Draw 3 rds
    15 yds From Concealed Holster Draw 4 rds
    25 yds From Concealed Holster Draw 3 rds
    40 rds total

Can use IDPA target or something similar (USPSA, etc.), scored 5, 3, 1 (i.e, 5 pts in the A/Down 0 zone, 3 pts in the C/Down 1 zone, etc.)

Take total pts and divide by total time, then multiply that # by 20, and then you'll have your total score.

Scores:
    80-100= Very Good
    101-124= Advanced
    125-???= Master

I typically score at the low end of Advanced. I think once I shot a 120.

I think this test will give you a good idea of where you currently "stand" and help you identify specific skills to work on. I have not shot it in a while and since I have not been shooting as much over the last year, I am eager to try it again soon to see how my reduced level of live-fire practice may have affected my skills.

Hit me back with any questions.

this does sound fun. I just got a new shot timer and will be trying this sometime this week

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    this does sound fun. I just got a new shot timer and will be trying this sometime this week

One thing I SHOULD have added!:

After each string, check your target and record misses or any other issues. If you truly want this to be a learning experience, you need to know where you screwed up. Otherwise, you'll look at the target at the end and have no idea when you missed. I ALWAYS go to the range with a notebook so I can take notes and, ya know, actually MEASURE my progress. I do not understand how so many people just go to the range, blaze away, and leave.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

After each string, check your target and record misses or any other issues. If you truly want this to be a learning experience, you need to know where you screwed up. Otherwise, you'll look at the target at the end and have no idea when you missed. I ALWAYS go to the range with a notebook so I can take notes and, ya know, actually MEASURE my progress. I do not understand how so many people just go to the range, blaze away, and leave.

No one audits their grip when "assessing" where and why they missed. And this is usually the issue.
    I always see too many people "re-squeezing" their grip as they shoot.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    No one audits their grip when "assessing" where and why they missed. And this is usually the issue.
    I always see too many people "re-squeezing" their grip as they shoot.

No doubt.

My point is that if you shoot all 40 rounds and then check your target and see 6 hits outside the scoring zones, you have no way of knowing when you missed. So then you don't know if you missed at 7 yards or 25, or if it was the first shot after the reload (common), some of the 6 shots on the Bill Drill (sight tracking and grip the likely issues here), rushing at 25 without a clear front sight focus, etc.

Grip is often an issue, perhaps more than most things, but there are many other potential issues.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county

i do use a notebook and a sharpie to mark shots. at least i got that part right:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom