• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I received the following from my local community. Apparently, if we don't claim a license for the community waterfront property, anyone can claim a license for this property. They will then start blasting at pets and small children.

Is this valid?

The fix is basically in on this. The Club is soliciting proxies to enable the Board to obtain the license.

Proposed By law change to prevent hunting on water contiguous to Ulmstead Club, Inc.

Under current law owners of waterfront property that exceeds a certain number of feet on the water and satisfies specific other conditions have the right to obtain a license to hunt waterfowl on the water in front of the property from a boat or stationary blind. The UCI beach has enough waterfront to qualify for a hunting license. The law provides that the first right to obtain the license is given to the landowner. If the land owner fails to obtain a hunting permit for their property by a designated date then the right to obtain the hunting license is “opened up” to any other person who can thereafter hunt in front of someone else’s property, in our case the UCI beach.

For over 20 years Dhave shouldered the burden to obtain signatures from Ulmstead waterfront owners and the UCI board to make sure that the hunting permits were secured thereby preventing anyone from hunting on our shores and endangering our residents and children.

The purpose for the proposed bylaw is that, as a community, we must be aware that xxx will not always be here to take on the responsibility of ensuring timely filing of documents to prevent “outsiders” from acquiring hunting licenses to hunt on the UCI beach. Also the UCI board, like any volunteer community board, changes yearly. With the change of members there is a potential that filing for the hunting license or permit by June 1 will be forgotten or “fall through the cracks”. Not intentionally but just due to the shifting of board members, this knowledge and information about the date to file for the license is or can be lost. This is precisely what happened with the covenant law suit we went through back in 2016-2017 when certain covenants were not re-filed. As you are probably aware our bylaws already preclude hunting “on” Ulmstead property, including the beach (see UCI Bylaw Article VII Special Conditions, Section 1, subsection e).

The proposed bylaw addition would merely close a loophole to preclude hunting on UCI water to maintain the safety of our residents on land and water.
    The proposed bylaw change to Article III: Board of Directors Section 13: Duties and Responsibilities of the Board, is as follows
    r. Timely obtain waterfowl hunting licenses or permits from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and/or from any other applicable state or local agency for any UCI property for which a waterfowl hunting license is obtainable. The Board will not authorize or allow hunting of waterfowl on any UCI water.

In order to add or change a UCI bylaw a majority of the property owners in attendance at the upcoming February, 2018 UCI meeting need to vote to approve, either by voting at the meeting or by proxy. Below is a proxy that authorizes me to vote your approval for this amendment to the bylaw, if you are not attending the meeting. You can either print this out and drop in our mailbox or scan and send via email. There are many neighbors who support this proposal, but I have been asked to draft this proposed bylaw change. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The Board will not allow hunting... I guess they have some kind of Navy to enforce their edict.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Never had the opportunity to hunt waterfowl but it would be a blast to get a permit there when their efforts do fall through the cracks one year and tell them to get out of the water and pound sand on the beach.

Plus, now I know never to move there. Not that that is an issue. My next move is out of this state!!

Edited: Read through the website. Lots of fees to do anything there. Whole place seems like they have a stick up their ass.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Sounds to me like they're trying to buy up the offshore blind licenses to prevent hunters from being able to do so.

MD Offshore License Regs state:
    We are frequently asked by riparian landowners, not desiring to establish an offshore hunting site, why do I have to license my shoreline to prevent others from establishing an offshore blind site off my property? To briefly explain the purpose of offshore blind and shoreline licensing, it is based on the fact that the “waters of the State”, those areas below mean high tide, are owned by the State and not the riparian landowner. State law establishes a series of protocols for the licensing of offshore blinds in the waters of the State. Riparian (i.e. waterfront) property owners are given the first right to license their shoreline and hence, preclude other Maryland residents from establishing blind sites out from their property. Additionally, only riparian landowners (or persons with the permission of riparian landowners) may establish stationary blinds (permanent offshore structures). This system gives riparian landowners the ability to control activity in public waters, a right they lack for any other recreational pursuit. If landowners do not license their shoreline by June 1st each year, any Maryland resident may potentially establish a blind site off their property if certain distance requirements are met. In all cases, hunting may not take place within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling without the permission of the dwelling’s occupants.

Essentially, they got greedy with their development and forgot that public waters belong to everyone.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I received the following from my local community. Apparently, if we don't claim a license for the community waterfront property, anyone can claim a license for this property. They will then start blasting at pets and small children.

Is this valid?

The fix is basically in on this. The Club is soliciting proxies to enable the Board to obtain the license.

Pretty much yes. Landowners or groups of landowners with contiguous waterfront properties have the ability to license their shoreline in order to control who hunts it every year. They have to license it by June 1st, otherwise it goes into the system whereby anyone has the ability to license it for the year if they want to. They would have to stay at least 150 yards away from any occupied dwelling.

Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    Friends of mine obtained a permit in Old Man creek in the Magothy. An old women who fed the ducks lost her mind screaming at them. Called DNR. They told her they were sorry it’s all legal. Bye bye birdie.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    Let me give y'all another perspective. I live in a community with water on 3 sides. It's pretty aggravating to get woken up every weekend morning at 0700 sharp to the sound of what must be the worst duck hunters on earth. These guys rip off an unbelievable amount of rounds. One could be forgiven for thinking the Marines have hit the beach. Either they are the worst shots ever, or they really like duck!

The hunters are essentially hunting in our back yards. Yes, there are the usual folks who worry about the "safety of the children", and there are the usual anti-gun types. (Yeah, hand wringing cry-babies.) But the real issue is the noise, at least for me and a number of other residents.

We scoop up the permits for the area surrounding our community every year. Except last year, when the Board turned over for the first time in about 8-10 years, and indeed, the ball did get dropped. The complaining from the residents was almost worse than the noise from the hunters!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Friends of mine obtained a permit in Old Man creek in the Magothy. An old women who fed the ducks lost her mind screaming at them. Called DNR. They told her they were sorry it’s all legal. Bye bye birdie.
    This is what it really boils down to, shooting of the 'pet' birds that locals feed often times (and shouldn't, really) and the noise. There is some validity to the 'risk' of having hunters near civilization, but most waterfowl hunters, while often not very good shots (thus the number of rounds expended on a morning's hunt) at fast flying ducks, are careful about where they are shooting and avoiding raining shot on someone's property.

I have hunted blind sites that were close to civilization. The neighbors may not like it, but as long as it's a properly licensed blindsite, they have no arguments to stand on.

Used to live on Mill Creek off Whitehall Bay and the adjacent shoreline to our neighborhood was owned by the US Navy. They would buy all of the blind sites for years, but one year they didn't.. Let's just say the neighbors were none too happy, but there was really nothing that could be done, the hunters had legally licensed a blind site along that shoreline.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    MD law is first come first serve.

MD law is first come first serve. A friend of mine who worked for the City of Alexandria VA was tasked with getting ahead of anyone trying to get a blind permit just south of the WW Bridge. Year after year. Every year.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Not exactly... Riparian landowners have first crack at blindsite permits on their shorelines, then it gets opened up to the public. Offshore blindsites are a little different, but in small water like the local rivers, the landowners can keep others from hunting their shorelines if they pay attention and buy up the rights first.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    People who don't like airplanes, shouldn't move next to a General Aviation airport.

People who don't like racecars , shouldn't move next to preexisting racetrack.

People who don't like waterfowl hunting, shouldn't move to the shoreline of prime waterfowl areas .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom