• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I go by what people in the business of repairing them say. Out of the box, Colt has the best reputation.

I'm not saying others aren't or can't be good. Quality control is in question. They can certainly be made to function without concern.

I have parts from different manufacturers and am an admitted cheapskate when it comes to buying things. I'll try something out for fun. I have several guns that aren't that great but fun nonetheless.

With that said, I don't ever cheap out on things that matter. If my life or my family depends on it I will get the best.

You've described me as well.

AR's are (relatively speaking) my most recently acquired, and frankly my 2nd least favorite firearms platform. No knock whatsoever on the platform, and its grown on me more than I once thought it would. I certainly respect certain of its capabilities, and marvel at aspects of the design. But still for me, my primary interests lie elsewhere.

There are MANY here with FAR more experience with different examples of the AR platform than I possess. But I've shot the living hell out of my Colt, almost exclusively with my handloads, with surprisingly fine accuracy that has greatly exceeded my initial expectations, and without so much as a hitch. To a lesser extent given less time and rounds usage wise, the same with Windham.

I also look at this a lot like I do with cars or trucks. When a mechanic I respect, who works on cars and trucks every day for a living, and with absolutely zero skin in the game regarding what I do or don't buy, tells me I'm likely better off with one make and model over another? I tend to pay attention.

Someone like Clandestine falls into that niche here for me. Now I don't know the man from Adam, other than his online persona. But while I'm comparatively new to AR's, I've been heavily involved with firearms all my life.

Clandestine has undoubtedly forgotten more about the AR platform than I'll ever remember. What's unique about him that I came to recognize in his posts early on in my time here at MDS is that he has the unusual capacity to combine what he knows, with both the ability and the desire to teach it. That is indeed, an unusual and a powerful combination.

So when Clandestine says Colt is likely to be a good choice??? I've gotta do the math, add in the lack of an agenda that benefits him, and look at a Colt. And now having owned a Colt, and while admittedly a comparative AR neophyte? It appears to me that the choice was indeed a good one.

So far, for me at least, his repeated mention of Colt has been spot on.

Not the only answer here to be sure. But to date, this answer has worked well for me.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Do some shopping around, those M&P Sport 2’s have gotten below $400 online in the past year.

I also say Windham. Grabbed mine for $636 out the door from Jay Lowe’s, $300 less than fox’s firearms for the exact same rifle. Shoots well, really enjoy this rifle. Never had a problem.

bc4ce3fd12ae7c39c9a0482fa7feca91.jpg

Or ya know, you could go full retard and just buy an AR10. I also got my AR10 from Windham. They also have an excellent lifetime warranty.

eb50fe238466b99f6fc10c396a915933.jpg

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Sooo, I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I've been watching these 2 rifles at basspro.
    1. DPMS Panther Arms Oracle -$530
    2. S&W M&P 15 sport 2 -$700

Purpose is primarily for home defense, something to take to the range and something to learn and grow with.

If anyone out there has handled both and has strong opinions about one over the other, especially in regards to reliability, accuracy, suggested ammo, etc. I'd appreciated your feedback.

Thanks

I assume that you are not a Maryland resident as both of those rifles are listed as Banned by the MSP (here)

If those are the only 2 rifles available to you, I would go with the DPMS. I find that since it does not have a pinned front sight, it is a bit more versatile.

Now if you are open to shopping elsewhere, then I agree with what others have said, find yourself a Colt or Windham. If price isn't a factor, you could even look at LWRC.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    windham, del-ton, colt, maybe ruger. I've purchased a ruger and a colt, roughly 300 bucks different in price, and there is a difference in the product. both take a magazine, chamber a round, and go bang with consistency. the ruger is not a MIL spec rifle, the colt is.

Ruger AR can be had for 500 from some of the industry partners on this forum when in stock, and for 500 bucks is a decent rifle, personally i wouldn't pay a nickel more for it (i own one). basic delton can be found in the 550 range, windham is more in the sub 700 ish range and the colt is in the 900 ish range. subject to sales and availability of course.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Windham or Colt. 6721 if you can find one or 6920 hbpw if you live in MD. If you want to be in the 5-600$ range look at del-ton.

Deadlunch

Jun 9, 2018
    Bowie
    I assume that you are not a Maryland resident as both of those rifles are listed as Banned by the MSP (here)

If those are the only 2 rifles available to you, I would go with the DPMS. I find that since it does not have a pinned front sight, it is a bit more versatile.

Now if you are open to shopping elsewhere, then I agree with what others have said, find yourself a Colt or Windham. If price isn't a factor, you could even look at LWRC.

So, a few things...

1. I am so surprised at the amount of responses to this post. I went to work and expected maybe 3-5 responses. I appreciate that!

2. Majority of your comments presented a very good point, that is, If I'm going to use this for home defense, then get spend a little more and get the better quality product. ie. Colt or Windham... This was just the feedback I was looking for .

But then, Smokescreen slapped reality into me. I live in Bowie and these guns are banned.
    I was so focused on the purchase, that I didn't check on this.

So Bummed.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I tend to build my own. I get a good lower and buy the parts I want and build it out so I know everything is in correctly and tight. Not always the cheapest way to go but i get what I want the way i want is. And, its a lot of fun.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    OP, no need to be bummed, you still have good options.

My recommendation from experience is the Windham HBC, it is Maryland legal and available from many IPs. It’s high-quality firearm with a lifetime transferable warranty.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    OP, no need to be bummed, you still have good options.

My recommendation from experience is the Windham HBC, it is Maryland legal and available from many IPs. It’s high-quality firearm with a lifetime transferable warranty.

You still have a TON of options!

Apparently some don't like the Ruger I suggested. That's OK tons more to pick from. Lot's of companies make heavy barrel rifles. This rifle is MD compliant, weighs 2 oz more than a 16 inch govt profile barrel, and cost me $600 bucks total. And that is another option. Buy your lower from a local gun shop FFL 7 day wait), build your lower (easier than you think!) and find the upper you want, and have it shipped to your house! Or buy a complete rifle, the Windham is cash and carry as is the Colt.

Attachments

• AR_105.jpg
      AR_105.jpg
      120.1 KB · Views: 333

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Just speaking from a handling stand point the Ruger AR556 felt cheap and lower quality to me when I compared to my Windham. Obviously that’s just a general opinion but just putting that out there.

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    My first long gun is an LMT CQB Defender I got in 2012 for about 1,500. The last rifle that I bought is a Windham HBC that I got 2 months ago for about 720. I don't see any difference between the two ARs in quality. That's how good the Windhams are.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    So, a few things...

1. I am so surprised at the amount of responses to this post. I went to work and expected maybe 3-5 responses. I appreciate that!

2. Majority of your comments presented a very good point, that is, If I'm going to use this for home defense, then get spend a little more and get the better quality product. ie. Colt or Windham... This was just the feedback I was looking for .

But then, Smokescreen slapped reality into me. I live in Bowie and these guns are banned.
    I was so focused on the purchase, that I didn't check on this.

So Bummed.

I don't know why you're bummed. Plenty of MD compliant options. The options I listed are good to go.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I tend to build my own. I get a good lower and buy the parts I want and build it out so I know everything is in correctly and tight. Not always the cheapest way to go but i get what I want the way i want is. And, its a lot of fun.

^^^^^Listen to this guy.

I will not buy an off the shelf AR anymore, due to having the knowledge, skill, and tools to be able to build my own. I build it with the part that I want, right out of the gate, so I won't spend money to upgrade an off the shelf rifle.

magwell

Mar 19, 2015
    I have a Windham and have put about 2000 rounds thru it without any problems. Great gun and great warranty.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have yet to purchase a complete .223/5.56 AR. The only thing you need for an AR in that caliber to be compliant in Maryland is if the barrel is marked Heavy Barrel or is advertised as such. Personally, I bought try to buy quality components with a stripped lower and build it. I won't talk about the upper I put together. Anyway, by the time you're done customizing it, you'd be money ahead just buying parts and putting it together. Of the nine or so ARs I still own, none of them are what you'd call "factory original."

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    ^^^^^Listen to this guy.

I will not buy an off the shelf AR anymore, due to having the knowledge, skill, and tools to be able to build my own. I build it with the part that I want, right out of the gate, so I won't spend money to upgrade an off the shelf rifle.

Like you said though, you have the knowledge, skill, and tools to do it. I say it makes more sense to buy your first one complete. See what you like and don’t like. Learn about what products are out there, what is worth buying, and then take knowledge and build one. Its taken me a few rifles to figure out what I would actually want out of a build, but even then its overwhelming with the thousands of options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom