• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Interesting post on the Silverado Facebook page this morning. https://www.facebook.com/313798033263/posts/10155930555513264/
    Don’t know how many more Maryland gun shows there will be.

I went yesterday at about 3:45.. the ticket seller advised me that they were closing at 4:30 due to low attendance.

There were indeed very few people walking around, and fewer venders than usual.

They started making the usual announcements at 4:15 and many venders were already covering tables.

I wouldn't be surprised if they close early again today, so keep that in mind if you plan on going near closing time.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The show was very poorly attended both days! Yes, I know I said I wouldn't go to any more Md shows but, I was bored! LOL!
    Went there with beaucoup "C" notes and only bought an ammo can. Would have bought a rifle if the dealer would have came down just a little bit. He didn't and I told him I didn't need it that much. I had more than enough to pay the price asked but, IMHO, it was at the very top of the market and wasn't in good enough condition to warrant it. SCSG looked to be doing well! Honestly though, there was a whole lot of empty space in the building that could have been filled.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I think the real problem with declining MD show attendance and sales is market saturation. There aren't a lot of new shooters, just a lot of us (ahem) older folks who have been shooting and collecting for more than a few years.

In the past, especially when we could buy many items before they were banned or overpriced, we stocked up as our finances would allow. Today, most of us have pretty complete collections of what we want, and any purchases are just filling in gaps. We stocked up on items that were going to be banned in the future.

So now we're just buying ammo to replace what we've used or maybe to get ahead of the curve, replacement or upgrade parts, and scooping up the occasional deal if we run across one. And buying the 'new and improved' models of toys we have, or always wanted to have. And that is nowhere near enough product demand to support the industry as it used to be in this state.

If Jealous beats Hogan there will be a HUGE surge in firearms sales. And that surge would be just that... a surge. A temporary increase in sales until even more items are banned.

With the convenience of the internet, plus availability of some items in nearby VA that we cannot buy in MD, the progressive overlords have succeeded in reducing the profitability of the brick and mortar firearms trade in Marylandistan. We have witnessed the heyday of firearms sales in MD, and are now watching its decline.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Gun shows need more cow bell.

Wasn’t that long ago that gun shows had deals, deals, deals, but now, not so much. (Kudos to SCSG for being an old school dealer!)

The busiest vendor was the guy with the small orange cargo cases— that used to hold computer drives—selling for 10 bucks.

Great gun cases with Pelican quality.

21 years for me and I live nearby the fairgrounds.

I have a suggestion. If an attendee departs the show empty handed he gets his admission fee back.

Great idea.

Or, anyone who can show $500 CASH gets in free 1/2hr early. That way the dealers know everyone has at least that much cash in hand.

Even better idea!! Time for this show promoter to shake things up.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Is it just the percentages that keeps a lot of vendors from taking cards? Or are the easy portable readers like Square not willing to work with gun dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Mr. Ed I'll disagree.............the shows attendance is down because of prices.

I can walk in just about any IP here and buy an AR cheaper than 75% of the vendors at the show. A guy on FB mentioned he saw $400 Maverick 88's. Does that Maverick 88 come with gold slugs?? I know those the C&R market is just going up and I can respect that so I won't complain terribly about the SKS and Mosin prices ive seen mentionen (plus I have no dog in that fight).

Dave Tucker The local gun stores are price gouging also, charging $400 for a maverick 88, $699 for a Glock 19, $349 for a Ruger LCP .

The above quote was taken from the Silverado FB page. $699 FOR A g19????????? 349 for a LCP?????????

I don't know what vendor's have to pay when it's all said and done to be able to sell at the show. I can respect that they have to eat too! I get that! What i ain't doing is dropping 350 for a LCP when 6 months ago every IP here was GIVING away the gen 1's. Point being, if I don't feel like I am getting a deal then why would I drive all the way up there with the potential to buy a gun from a vendor thats far away only to basically pay retail when I can have my regular FFL snag it from a shop at a $20-$50 savings and I don't have to drive.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Wasn’t that long ago that shun shows had deals, deals, deals, but now, not so much.

Freudian slip? :D

The busiest vendor was the guy with the small orange cargo cases— that used to hold computer drives—selling for 10 bucks.

I missed that somehow. Too bad. I probably would have bought a couple or 3.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Is it just the percentages that keeps a lot of vendors from taking cards? Or are the easy portable readers like Square not willing to work with gun dealers?

It is not a technology issue it is a cash business issue...some things are better off being paid for with cash.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    Mr. Ed I'll disagree.............the shows attendance is down because of prices.

I can walk in just about any IP here and buy an AR cheaper than 75% of the vendors at the show. A guy on FB mentioned he saw $400 Maverick 88's. Does that Maverick 88 come with gold slugs??

I saw one vendor with a Maverick around $300. I bought mine, brand new, for $219 (and I overpaid at that). The moment I saw that price tag I moved on to a different vendor; because you can’t trust that anything else they have for sale is at a fair price when they’re gouging like crazy on stuff like a Maverick.

I did see a number of deals though so it really wasn’t all gouging. I enjoy these Silverado shows for what they are and have bought some good stuff at them. So I still recommend people go. If I wasn’t needing to pick up .22 practice rifle I would’ve bought the 1917 Enfield I saw there.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Wasn’t that long ago that shun shows had deals, deals, deals, but now, not so much. (Kudos to SCSG for being an old school dealer!)

Freudian slip? :D
    oops, busted....spelcheck, tired of your shirt...

I missed that somehow. Too bad. I probably would have bought a couple or 3.

I missed it too until I saw people walking past the MSI table with multiple cases.

3 seems to be a popular number. I bought 3.

Patty West next to me at the MSPRA table bought 4. Great old school gun show deal. All the cases are well-traveled. One of Patty’s cases had a cargo sticker on it from the Marianas islands, LOL

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    The ammo can guy had some NICE .50 cal cans for $10
    A seller had Sierra game kings in 6.5 for $15 or 2 for $20. Yup, i got 200 game kings for $20
    I also got a long, passionate hug from Rack at the MSI booth.

midway usa has had a sale going for grade 1 cans $10 each. much better condition

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    oops, busted....spelcheck, tired of your shirt...

I missed it too until I saw people walking past the MSI table with multiple cases.

3 seems to be a popular number. I bought 3.

Patty West next to me at the MSPRA table bought 4. Great old school gun show deal. All the cases are well-traveled. One of Patty’s cases had a cargo sticker on it from the Marianas islands, LOL

Between the two of you, I thought they would have run out of cases!:innocent0

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Wasn’t that long ago that gun shows had deals, deals, deals, but now, not so much. (Kudos to SCSG for being an old school dealer!)

Great idea.

Even better idea!! Time for this show promoter to shake things up.

If I bring $1k I want the show to myself for an hour.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Or, anyone who can show $500 CASH gets in free 1/2hr early. That way the dealers know everyone has at least that much cash in hand.

I think this is a great idea. The promoters and vendors should give it a try. It could bring in some serious buyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom