• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    He sent me this pic. I remember seeing this out at 100 yds.

Attachments

• 7E0AEB90-2E5E-443F-BE9D-2AE897486A39.jpg
      7E0AEB90-2E5E-443F-BE9D-2AE897486A39.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 768

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Wow 98 views and zero responses.
    Anyone shoot at the delta peach booth range?

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

I want to join but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Hear it’s a nice place to be a member.

I thought they did steel shoots there? Maybe they a saying no never about whatever ammo was used to punch through the plate?

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury

I was one of the views, but couldn't understand wtf you were trying to say so... :shrug:

I want to join but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Hear it’s a nice place to be a member.

I thought they did steel shoots there? Maybe they a saying no never about whatever ammo was used to punch through the plate?

They do (or used to do) steel shoots on Sunday mornings. My brother is a member there. He likes it, but says it can get crowded. I haven't shot there with him yet.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013

I've read and heard at the range there is a large waiting list to join. The range setting is very nice, with a creek running through it.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Maybe a dumb question, but what's the hazard of shooting through a steel plate versus having the round fragment or bounce back?

So there's probably a RSO out there who knows better - but the AR500/AR550 requirements are there for safety reasons. If the projective goes cleanly through the target, then I agree there shouldn't be an issue however that's a slippery slope - and folks will start bringing all sorts of metal to shoot.

From what I've seen, even for thicker non-AR500 steel, if the metal starts to pit then the pathway of the projective after it hits the target is more unknown. The smarter folks than I have done the analysis and with relative certainty tell you that with a completely flat impact, where the fragments should relatively fall. That's why most rifle ranges that allow steel only permit it to be used for 100 yards or more. For pistols - it's generally 10 yards (although 15 for DPFNG).

So short story - its over compensating for safety reasons.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Maybe a dumb question, but what's the hazard of shooting through a steel plate versus having the round fragment or bounce back?

When steel pits, it can send fragments back at the firing line. When it's of proper hardness, the bullet just splashes around it in a predictable pattern. Steel should also be hung so it's at a slight downward angle to further minimize splash back.

Last edited:

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    In my experience if you have a commercially available steel target in a properly designed hanger that is intended to prevent unsafe ricochets you will be fine.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

****"I've shot plenty of steel. No way that was a 1000 yard shot. You hear that gong almost instantly, speed of sound at 1000 yards would take a couple of seconds to get back to you. .50 BMG, say 750 grains, would take about 1.3 secs to just get out to 1000 yards.

Regardless, the guy got hit by a ricochet, and is lucky to be alive, with both eyes, and ears. It's a shame his brain doesn't work well. Improperly hung steel, steel core ammo, and way too close for that round on steel is my best guess.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I've read and heard at the range there is a large waiting list to join. The range setting is very nice, with a creek running through it.

I don't know about long but on their website it says they aren't going to open membership again until member roster drops below 800 with it being currently being at 930 with a waiting list. Plenty of people don't renew every year so who knows how long that will take

Years ago I told some peeps they should join as soon as they can show up for a Monday meeting with $105 (before membership got limited) now they're still outside looking in

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I don't know about long but on their website it says they aren't going to open membership again until member roster drops below 800 with it being currently being at 930 with a waiting list. Plenty of people don't renew every year so who knows how long that will take

Years ago I told some peeps they should join as soon as they can show up for a Monday meeting with $105 (before membership got limited) now they're still outside looking in

Probably about another 2 years, as the waitlist had quite a few names on it before it was closed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom