• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Had a good time last weekend working at the Baltimore show. Got to meet some fellow MDShooter's and talk to a few others. I saw a lot of things I'd liked to have bought but not much that I could afford. There were some good deals there if you looked close enough though. I saw this Venezuelan FN-49 on Frank Pagano's table and was shocked nobody bought it Friday Evening or most of the day Saturday. I've been lusting for an FN-49 for a while, but they're either too far out of my price range or I couldn't find the right one. I would've really liked one in .30-06 since I already have a lot of ammo and reloading supplies for it, but 7x57 is a pretty neat cartridge and should be fun to play with. I also went against my "no South American stuff" limit again, but for an FN-49 I don't care too much.

It's still got a lot of cosmoline in the action, and despite some charging handle impressions on the stock (probably from being stacked on top of each other when they came in the country), I'd doubt it was ever issued before it was sold for surplus. I was surprised to learn the Venezuelan FN-49's were imported in the early 1960's. My rifle was part of the second contract out of 8,000 rifles for Venezuela.

Now I just need to clean the cosmo and get some ammo loaded.

Attachments

• IMG_3765.jpg
      IMG_3765.jpg
      122.4 KB · Views: 559
    • IMG_3793.jpg
      IMG_3793.jpg
      102.6 KB · Views: 561
    • IMG_3828.jpg
      IMG_3828.jpg
      122 KB · Views: 563
    • IMG_3871.jpg
      IMG_3871.jpg
      82.4 KB · Views: 541
    Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have an Egyptian myself, they are far more common. Damn thing hurts to shoot but I love it nonetheless. Always wanted one of the .308 ones with the detachable magazine.

Nice looking rifle.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I have an Egyptian myself, they are far more common. Damn thing hurts to shoot but I love it nonetheless. Always wanted one of the .308 ones with the detachable magazine.

Nice looking rifle.

There actually was an Argentine converted FN-49 in .308 at the show, but no way I'd be able to bring myself to pay the $1400 he wanted for it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    There actually was an Argentine converted FN-49 in .308 at the show, but no way I'd be able to bring myself to pay the $1400 he wanted for it.

I've only casually searched by 1200-1400 and up seems to be the norm. Couldn't bring myself to spend it either. Maybe one day.

38super

Jan 8, 2016
    Montgomery County
    Very nice rifle. I had a 30-06 fn-49 years ago and sold it to buy a M1a. They are very accurate rifles to shoot. People always complain about not finding any good buy's at gun shows. But they are always there if you take the time to look.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'd like a guide to buying a quality FN-49 sometime as well, but I'll settle for looking at this. BTW, if you ever want to get rid of it, I could interest you in some of my nice rare rifles or pistols... ;)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    After we chatted I made sure to look for this one and was also surprised that it was still on the table. But in reflection it's a bit too new for that crowd. All the better for you! I think a much better purchase than the Springfield you originally got. The Vennie is much harder to find these days. Most, like mine, tend to stay buried in collections. They just don't change hands that much.
    I've been able to track down the FP bits, they're not hard to find (start with Springfield Sporters). When you pull the one pc FP I'm betting it has the slot for the FP safety (supposed to keep the FP from slam firing but that assumes it hasn't broken which is common on these). You'll find 7mm to be easy on the shoulder, unlike 8mm or 30-06. Shoots very flat and mine was stupid accurate. A buddy wanted to try it out and he put three rounds into a quarter sized group at 100 yds with no trouble. I was certain he'd fight me to keep it for himself! I have FN49s in 8mm, 30-06, 7.62 x 51 and 7mm and the Vennie is the rock star of that group. By far my fav.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    After we chatted I made sure to look for this one and was also surprised that it was still on the table. But in reflection it's a bit too new for that crowd. All the better for you! I think a much better purchase than the Springfield you originally got. The Vennie is much harder to find these days. Most, like mine, tend to stay buried in collections. They just don't change hands that much.
    I've been able to track down the FP bits, they're not hard to find (start with Springfield Sporters). When you pull the one pc FP I'm betting it has the slot for the FP safety (supposed to keep the FP from slam firing but that assumes it hasn't broken which is common on these). You'll find 7mm to be easy on the shoulder, unlike 8mm or 30-06. Shoots very flat and mine was stupid accurate. A buddy wanted to try it out and he put three rounds into a quarter sized group at 100 yds with no trouble. I was certain he'd fight me to keep it for himself! I have FN49s in 8mm, 30-06, 7.62 x 51 and 7mm and the Vennie is the rock star of that group. By far my fav.

I can't wait to shoot it once I clean the cosmoline out and get a new firing pin. I bought some 7mm bullets, but just need some CCI #34 primers, some 7mm reloading dies and I'm good to go

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    Nice rifle, I had an Egyptian 8mm and sold it because it was such a pita to clean after shooting surplus ammo. Would like to find a reasonable .30-06 some day....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom