• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Sorry for the delay in posting, but "ITS ON"!

The 4th Annual MD Shooters New Years Day shoot at the Carroll County Gun Club trap range.

Monday January 1st from 10:00AM to 2:00PM.

I will post more details soon, so come one, come all, new and old, newbies or ringers.

As usual, we'll have our own range all to ourselves.

Here is a quote from past years that gives the updated details:

Quote:

" This is open to all shooters of all ages however minors MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY PARENT/RESPONSIBLE ADULT that's responsible for that minor during their presence at the club. All skill levels are included with this invite from 1st timers to advanced shotgunners just as it was last year. Noobs, yoots, and 1st timers that need direct coaching on the line can receive that from a parent/guardian or a person of choice that knows how to coach and teach the noob, especially a yoot, how to shoot trap with firearms safety at the forefront; remember, firearms safety is paramount!!!. We hadda'lotta' noobs out on the line last time and all enjoyed themselves.

This will occur at the Carroll County Gun Club January 1st, 2018 starting at 10:30 AM on the two lower far edge traps located beyond the club house/parking lot just like last time. The location is on RT 26 just east of RT 97 near Eldersburg at 129 W. Liberty Rd, Eldersburg, MD 21784 (I'll post up a link in this post for Carroll County Gun Club later and here it is--- www.carrollgun.com). One round of trap (25 birds) will cost $5.00, so if you intend to shoot 4 rounds of trap it will cost you $20.00 cash. This shoot is a cash only shoot. Ammo to be used will be no larger than 12 gauge 2 3/4" 3 drams equivalence with 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot. Smaller gauge shotties are permitted such as 16, 20, 28, and .410. It is recommended that you bring your own ammo though there will be 12 gauge and IIRC, 20 gauge but don't mark my word on the 20 gauge, available at the club at $7.00 per box of 25 rounds. Minimum barrel length is 24" and a modified choke is recommended on larger gauge guns such as 12 gauge and full choke on smaller gauge guns such as .410. There will be some shotties available for use by MDS members if you don't have a shottie that fits the bill just like last year. There will also be a short safety briefing/range orientation as close to 10:30 AM as possible prior to shooting so it would be a good idea to be there at that time especially if you are not familiar with this sport or have noobs, 1st timers, or youn'uns (yoots) with you.

Bear in mind that this is a *** "Weather Permitting" *** shoot only and is subject to cancellation due to less than decent weather. Last New Year's Day was sunny with highs in the low 40's and was a pleasant day for a shoot. Let's hope the weather will hold out for us again this year and give us a nice day to break in the New Year."

Unquote.

It looks like we'll have decent weather, so lets have a safe and enjoyable day busting some clays.

If you are coming and have a spare shotty someone can use, please bring it.

As mentioned, it is CASH ONLY. Please make it easy if you can and bring singles (you know...like a strip club...or so I hear).

I would also respectfully ask that if you are an experienced Trap shooter, please keep in mind that almost every round will have BRAND NEW shooters and likely a helper with them at the line. We will try and keep a rhythm/pace but is a lot of times not easy to do, so PLEASE be patient. We usually do get a round or two in for all the "pros" so you can get your rhythm round(s) in. Please lend your experience to the new shooters.

This is a fun shoot, not a competition (although I'm sure Fabs will compete against himself, and if Teratos shows up, he can have an "awesome hair" contest with my daughter)

See you all Sunday to start 2018 off with a bang."

The pricing may have gone up slightly, I think it is $5.00 per round now and ammo may have gone up a bit, not sure.

Last edited:

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    I know you have Monday at the top, but at the bottom you have "see you sunday" might confuse some?

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Well, if people can't figure out when New Year's Day is, then maybe they shouldn't be handling firearms.

The quote is from previous years, and I cannot edit the post anymore.

The event is on Monday January 1st 2018

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    My attendance is dependent upon my return time from SC on 12/31.
    If we return by early evening and my boss doesn't excessively partake on "Amateur Night", she may attend as well.
    Fabs- I may call in that 20 gauge request if she is coming.

Not a problem. I have a Beretta A400 in 28 gauge, a youth model Beretta 391 in 20 gauge, and an adult size Beretta 391 Teknys in 20 gauge. Walmart actually sells 28 gauge shells nowadays. A little more expensive than 12 and 20, but not too terrible. Just let me know which one she would like to use. Hell, maybe I'll bring all of them just in case.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am in. I might bring my son with me and a couple of neighbors who I shoot trap with occasionally have expressed some interest in attending. They might bring their older kids too (they are all 9-12 in age)

Magnumst

Ultimate Member
    Mar 26, 2013
    Im a maybe? Depending on the weather. Son and daughter(14&15) want to come as long as its not windy.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Im a maybe? Depending on the weather. Son and daughter(14&15) want to come as long as its not windy.

I think a lot of this is going to depend on the weather. 20 degrees and a 10 mph wind, I am probably sitting in front of a fire at home. My 8 year old and 5 year old will not tolerate cold and/or precipitation real well. Heck, I don't handle them real well either.

If the weather holds up, I'll be there around 11:00. Figure 3 hours should be enough for me to get my fix for the day.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Roger.

I’ll be there no matter what, even if only to say hi and shoot a round or two. I need to function check my 20ga.

I just checked the weather for Monday. 21 degrees with a 13 mph wind. Yay!!!!! I'm going to have to start moving some firewood around here. Had it easy in November and December. SOB Going through firewood the past couple days like it is water.

I'll be there on Monday for some amount of time. Might be leaving the kids at home because they will be freezing. Going to be a shoot time decision on the kids and how much they beg and how much I feel like saying, "I told you it was going to be cold."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom