• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    So I told my kids that I would take them fishing this week. They are interested and old enough, 15, 13, and 9 that it should be fruitful.

The problem is I really haven't really been fishing since I was about 10 and that was mainly on the ocean. I have been trying to read up on it but once the options start being thrown out my head starts to spin.

I bought a couple of beginner spinner rods. Can someone give me a simple entry to fishing lesson, explain a simple entry to fishing option and possibly a good place around Catonsville.

We have done Lost Lake in the Avalon area previously. I thought I knew how to fish before we went out and found out very quickly I did not remember much of anything other than how to watch fish eat the bait off the hooks.

It was not as simple as I remembered.

Thanks in advance.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    grab some swivels, lead shot sinkers, and some #8 and #6 hooks and bobbers. I'd buy just the regular eagle claw packages and that way all you gotta do is open the pack, open the swivel, and attach and close. Take them to any pond (sorry I can't be more helpful on Catonsville locations) and let them catch all the sunfish they can on nightcrawlers.

Position the bobber about 4 inches above the swivel (depending on shore depth) and just relax.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    KISS

Even a cane pole can be an enjoyable fishing outing.

$9.99 Zebco with a red and white bobber and two split shots on the line.

Where are my Depends?!?! :D

:innocent0

th

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My best advice is to not try to fish yourself. I used to try that but taking care of my kids snarled lines is a full time job. If you just accept you will not fish yourself, you will have a much better time

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    +1 on sunfish / bluegill

small hooks or they will just bite off your bait.

I personally preferred grubs and small hooks. Heck cheese and bread smashed together on a hook is what I used as a kid.

if you don't like to handle wiggly fish, bring some needle nose pliers to hold hooks, turn over and dump fish off hook.

Hand sanitizer if where you fish has geese. I don't l like pond fishing where geese poop.

good luck!

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    grab some swivels, lead shot sinkers, and some #8 and #6 hooks and bobbers. I'd buy just the regular eagle claw packages and that way all you gotta do is open the pack, open the swivel, and attach and close. Take them to any pond (sorry I can't be more helpful on Catonsville locations) and let them catch all the sunfish they can on nightcrawlers.

Position the bobber about 4 inches above the swivel (depending on shore depth) and just relax.

Swivels - that is a good one.

Forgive the dumb questions, but:

A pond was where we watched the fish - I think they were sunfish/bluegill pick the bait off the hook repeatedly without a bite on the hook.

Why did they not bite the hook? Possibly need a smaller hook? With a smaller hook, do you cut the nightcrawler.

Last time we used hot dogs and the fish loved them - just not the hooks.

What do you do with the sunfish? Catch and release them?

KISS

Even a cane pole can be an enjoyable fishing outing.

$9.99 Zebco with a red and white bobber and two split shots on the line.

Where are my Depends?!?! :D

:innocent0

Yes, trying to keep it simple but I realized that simple is even confusing for me.:sad20::lol2:

My brst advice is to not try to fish yourself. I used to try that but taking care of my kids snarled lines is a full time job. If you just accept you will not fish yourself, you will have a much better time

This is a good one as well. When we went last time, I was running in circles and driving myself crazy. This time, I will not even bring a pole.

So other than poles, hooks, swivels, sinkers and bobbers - anything else needed?

I enjoy displaying my ignorance openly.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    If you are looking for a place to fish, try Patapsco State Parks Avalon area. There are actually several of the parks area's near you. I know Avalon has a small pond to fish at and also the river. Its right there off Washington Blvd and 195.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195727

Hopefully catch, definitely release.

Take:

One rod/reel/line for each person.
    Bait, anything small.
    Weight and bobber.
    Gloves.
    Hat and sunglasses.

Do:

Tell the kids that fishing is about not getting snake bit or falling in. Don't tell them it's really about patience, self-discipline and discovery.

Good to invite a buddy that's not as rusty for your first outing, but certain you'll have fun either way. Please report back after mission complete. :)

Know:

Skim this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195727

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Swivels - that is a good one.

Forgive the dumb questions, but:

A pond was where we watched the fish - I think they were sunfish/bluegill pick the bait off the hook repeatedly without a bite on the hook.

Why did they not bite the hook? Possibly need a smaller hook? With a smaller hook, do you cut the nightcrawler.

Last time we used hot dogs and the fish loved them - just not the hooks.

What do you do with the sunfish? Catch and release them?

Yes, trying to keep it simple but I realized that simple is even confusing for me.:sad20::lol2:

This is a good one as well. When we went last time, I was running in circles and driving myself crazy. This time, I will not even bring a pole.

So other than poles, hooks, swivels, sinkers and bobbers - anything else needed?

I enjoy displaying my ignorance openly.

Yes, definitely cut night crawlers to your hook size, or bluegill will just yank them off the hook and you'll be feeding them by the pound. Thread your cut piece of night crawler around the hook from the hook eye to the barb. You'll want hook size 8 or 10, and preferably in a bait holder configuration. The barbs on the hook shank will help from having the bait stolen.

Attachments

• mustadbaitholder.jpg
      mustadbaitholder.jpg
      8.3 KB · Views: 163

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195727

Hopefully catch, definitely release.

Take:

One rod/reel/line for each person.
    Bait, anything small.
    Weight and bobber.
    Gloves.
    Hat and sunglasses.

Do:

Tell the kids that fishing is about not getting snake bit or falling in. Don't tell them it's really about patience, self-discipline and discovery.

Good to invite a buddy that's not as rusty for your first outing, but certain you'll have fun either way. Please report back after mission complete. :)

Know:

Skim this thread: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195727

Thanks - I was looking for that thread but could not find it.

Great information!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When in doubt, go smaller on the hooks.

Explain the sport is called Fishing, not necessarily Catching .

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Had the day off and went fishing in the upper bay yesterday. Caught 10 keepers by lunch. 22-29. Caught 35 total with many just shy of 20". Disappointed we couldn't catch any perch? Still a good day!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    If going for Bluegill use a bobber, and a trout size hook, SMALL. You can just put a nub of a worm on the hook. Kids need to learn when the fish has taken the bait before setting hook, or reeling. Fish is not on until that bobber is down under and moving under. If you see fish just tapping at it and reel, typically nothing on. Boy and I caught over 30 bluegill yesterday. We literally had half inch bit of worm on the hook. I caught a 1 LB Bass on a #14 hook with a piece of worm, totally unexpected. If the kids can cast OK, try a crank bait too. Both my kids have caught fish on spinners and plugs.

T-Man

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2010
    Catonsville
    We went out this afternoon and had a great time.

Me not fishing helped a lot as suggested as did the hook size.

We were getting nothing but turtles harassing our bait for a good portion of the time until we switched locations.

Then caught some bluegills/sunfish much to everyone's enjoyment.

My 9 yr old called the best afternoon ever.

Very fun.

Q: What do you do with the turtles? They were all over the pond chasing the bait?

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    We went out this afternoon and had a great time.

Me not fishing helped a lot as suggested as did the hook size.

We were getting nothing but turtles harassing our bait for a good portion of the time until we switched locations.

Then caught some bluegills/sunfish much to everyone's enjoyment.

My 9 yr old called the best afternoon ever.

Very fun.

Q: What do you do with the turtles? They were all over the pond chasing the bait?

Never had that.. Had some swim after lures which is funny. The 50# Snapper that pulled my trout off the stringer pissed me off..

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Put worm on hook, hang 3' under bobber, float in pond inhabited by fish. Sit tight and drink beverage of choice while waiting for bobber to bob.

Next we can cover bottom fishing with bait, live lining or even fishing with those hard plastic things covered in hooks with rattles in them. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom