• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Over-generalization ...

You know, the bitch of the thing is that our society IS like the Wild West, in one very important area:

Gun violence.

No, seriously.

If you look at who is committing gun murders in modern times, it is by and large "marginalized" (economically disadvantaged, poor, whatever) young men who are in criminal gangs.

And, if you do the research, guess who was committing all of those horrible murders and getting in gunfights in the Old West?

Yup. "Marginalized" young men who were in criminal gangs.

Joe Cowpoke and Jane Farmwife, though they had MUCH more ready access to guns than the average person does today, weren't out killing people with them. For Joe Cowpoke, his gun was a tool - you could put down an animal with one if needed, or defend yourself from human or animal if you had to (being dragged by the stirrup by a runaway horse was every cowboy's fear, for example). For Jane Farmwife, the lever action or shotgun that was kept in the house was great for killing that night's dinner, or for taking care of the rattlesnake in the back yard.

The people that were killing other people with guns were criminals, almost exclusively.

Just like today.

Strange, isn't it?

Sure there are/were statistical 'reasons' but you summed up the REAL reason at the end. Joe Cowpoke's 'tool' also served as an equalizer against the criminal element. Remember ...

Attachments

• God-created-man.jpg
      God-created-man.jpg
      9.1 KB · Views: 793

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Ironically, the West isn't even the "Wild West," but the East is.

e.g. Baltimore, DC, Hartford

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yep all this crap about "blood running on the streets" when all the concealed carry laws were coming about, and that just hasn't happened. fighting more of this is just beating a dead horse. maybe one day they'll focus on putting, and keeping, violent criminals in jail.

Tacticalglobe

III %er
    Mar 11, 2012
    Nottingham, MD
    You wanna talk about " Wild "

Go within Baltimore city limits.

You can not even begin to comprehend what takes place in our city.

I am a part of a group of Bearded men who give back to the community and I've not only walked through the valley of death, I've handed lunch bags to those who would take your life for a bottle of water.

It's jungle out there and the people " running " this state are either the most deranged humans in existence or f'ing genius with an agenda that we couldn't imagine to fathom.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If Virginia's the Wild West, Maryland's the lady's shoe department at Sears.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I am a part of a group of Bearded men who give back to the community and I've not only walked through the valley of death, I've handed lunch bags to those who would take your life for a bottle of water.

You're a good man for doing that!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Maryland is the Wild East, and Baltimore hood films should be called Easterns. "The Wire" was an Eastern genre series about the wild wild east.

SS396

Forum LEO whipping post
    Aug 19, 2013
    Frederick County
    Ironically, the true "wild west" is now. In the 1870s it was more safe because of the possibility of victim retaliation since many had the opportunity to arm themselves. Not as much of a victim rich environment back then. Perspective is a funny thing.

Last edited:

Cyndi59

If Virginia is the Wild West, I'm in!

Btw, even the Wild West wasn't that wild. It's notoriety and moniker was gained mostly based on a limited, small, sub-population of violence-prone young males. Very much like, say, WILD BALTIMORE, Mr. Frosh.
    Do they have a class where you twurl it before you holster it..lol.I know I'm happy to live now in Virginia and still has not come across any high noon shootouts..I guess it's too late to drain the Maryland swamp..??

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom