• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Limited funds here, so looking for under $300 for the rifle, still needs glass then too, possibly a stock
    If you want a new rifle and nice accuracy at this price point, then either the Savage bolt or one of the Ruger American Rimfire bolt action rifles that are frequently on sale for $250 or less. I think a great feature of the Rugers is that you will have mag compatibility with a Ruger 10/22 if you ever get one of these in the future as well, thus saving a little bit in future mag outlays. In addition, the 10/22 has excellent quality 15- and 25-rd Ruger made mags, which are easy to find in neighboring states for reasonable prices.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

May 13, 2005
    OP, I have a Valmet Lion 22 Target rifle with additional sights that I'm thinking about letting go since I never shoot it anymore. It will out shoot anything mentioned in this thread ;) Lol.. If you are serious about it shoot me a PM.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    @Happy Camper nice looking gun, but, definitely not my taste, thank you though
    @fidelity I agree thats a pretty good deal, but, I had 2 of them, the first one was GREAT,t he second, the MOE edtion was ok, but, just good to burn through ammo at a high rate, not the most accurate. If I am going to do semi auto again, it will be a 10/22

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Great thread! Bang for the buck will be a Savage MKII. The 10/22 will have more aftermaket parts availability and will likely need an aftermarket barrel, with tighter chamber, to shoot as well as a Savage MKII and CZ. If you have a little more money, perhaps look for a used CZ 452 or 453; they're usually accurate regardless of barrel thickness or weight. I believe the chambers on factory auto-loaders are usually a little looser than on the bolt guns in order to make feeding more reliable with a variety of ammo. If you'll be shooting mostly from a bench, I'd look for the most basic 10/22, even used if in decent condition, and install a Green Mountain bull barrel (which includes a tighter chamber), Boyd's stock, and do a little trigger work. I don't have any experience with the bolt-action Ruger .22s, but if they accept the same barrels as the 10/22, then maybe that's the way to go, although there is an extra level of fun being able to shoot tight groups with an auto-loader. I have had bolt work done on a standard 10/22 and it will tighten groups, but if you're looking to do it on the cheap, you might as well try to get as tight a fit as possible from the get go. The Savage MKII might need a little tweaking, but that's part of the fun. CCI Standard Velocity and that Tac-22 ammo mentioned above are good, inexpensive, consistent ammo choices, but you'll have to feed it different ammo to find out what it likes (keep notes). Good luck!

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Limited funds here, so looking for under $300 for the rifle, still needs glass then too, possibly a stock
    If you think you are going to buy an aftermarket stock on whatever rifle you buy....... The 455 tacticool is a no brainer $450ish and it comes in a boyds laminate with CZ accuracy......
    The Savage Mark II fv-sv is hard to beat for the money, accuracy its right with th cz with a little less refinement.
    The ruger precision rimfire is a nice firarm too. seen several of them shoot well at the 22 PRS matches.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    Right now I have it narrowed to 3 primary bolt rifles:

Savage b22 series

Ruger American rimfire (as a bonus it takes 10/22 mags which I have plenty of)

Marlin 980v(guy at work is looking to clear

out inheritance guns he doesnt want)

Or

Maybe find a deal on a 10/22 action and build one( $500 cap for the whole thing though to include glass)

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Outfitted this guy recently, waiting for a decent chance to get it to the range for zero etc.

Savage B22 (Newer version of the Mark II) SR ready model.
    - Accutrigger is sweet on these
    Bushnell 3.5-10x 36mm scope
    CVLIFE bi-pod. Just can't justify extra $ for a Harris on a rimfire.

Ok, got up to SLCFSA and zero'ed in the rifle. Here's the last few shots made.

Range 50 Yard, bench but no shoulder support.

First two pics, using Federal Premium 40gr High Velocity. I bought this ammo when I was 16, I turn 47 soon. Figure I'd try it out in the bolt gun.

Last pic is new CCI Subsonic 40gr HP.

Attachments

• B22 Federal HP 3-17-18 50y.jpg
      B22 Federal HP 3-17-18 50y.jpg
      7.4 KB · Views: 117
    • B22 Federal HP 3-17-18 50y Small Target.jpg
      B22 Federal HP 3-17-18 50y Small Target.jpg
      9 KB · Views: 121
    • B22 CCI Subsonic 40gr HP 3-17-18 50y Standard Target.jpg
      B22 CCI Subsonic 40gr HP 3-17-18 50y Standard Target.jpg
      9.3 KB · Views: 129

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I’m happy with my ‘49 vintage Winchester 52B. Last set of 50 yard targets with iron sights was .495” for 10 shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Ok, got up to SLCFSA and zero'ed in the rifle. Here's the last few shots made.

Range 50 Yard, bench but no shoulder support.

First two pics, using Federal Premium 40gr High Velocity. I bought this ammo when I was 16, I turn 47 soon. Figure I'd try it out in the bolt gun.

Last pic is new CCI Subsonic 40gr HP.

Nice shooting. Not even fancy ammo and 10x max magnification.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Nice shooting. Not even fancy ammo and 10x max magnification.

Thanks! Not as solid as I used to be, had a lot of scope crawl going on. Those accutriggers are nice. We'll see how well I do when I move it out to 100 next time around.

Had an old sniper trick I was planning on using to help stabilize. Sock filled with popcorn, or in this case, air soft BB's, to use on the shoulder stock for support/adjustment. With the benches on P2, no way to use it. Then again, that was mostly used prone in the Army. Was using my offhand as a 'shelf' for fine movements, but wasn't as stable.

Could definitely tell my age/fitness level was impacting me. Couldn't hold as long on the natural pause as I used to.

But, I had a nice day out of the range, nobody else was there, except towards the end when a couple young'uns came up with their Marlin and Ruger and let them fire the Savage to try out the trigger. Feels good to get out and enjoy the sport again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom