MD Dems announce new “gun safety” measures.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Well plenty of folks in Maryland are robbed, shot and burglarized. They should get an opinion.

And I don’t understand how they don’t have opinions either, but I have my opinions and values and I can’t see how voting against my own values is right.

Again, the people of Maryland don't really care about anything unless you start to take something away from them or don't give them what they think they deserve. The Dems seem to always promise the sheeple they will keep this or better yet, they can have that. That's all most Marylanders want. Give me or don't take away. The 1st and 2nd Amendments are only being fought for by a very small group of people. Probably less than .1 of 1% of the electorate.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Again, the people of Maryland don't really care about anything unless you start to take something away from them or don't give them what they think they deserve. The Dems seem to always promise the sheeple they will keep this or better yet, they can have that. That's all most Marylanders want. Give me or don't take away. The 1st and 2nd Amendments are only being fought for by a very small group of people. Probably less than .1 of 1% of the electorate.

Sad and yet true .

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

Yep, Maryland is Santa clause and Democrats are mostly 6 year olds. And they make up most of mds constituents and that’s why hogan is so far left and pandering to them.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    "Pandering" is what politicians do to get votes. Maryland voters are not one issue voters. If you want principles or ideology become a priest. Even then, you might be disappointed.

The Maryland voters you know may not be one issue voters but the ones I know are.

And a man without principles is not a man.

Feb 28, 2013
    90% of all Americans (another internet statistic) and even more Marylanders don't care that much (or at all) about anything as long as they get theirs. Since most don't have an opinion on the 2nd Amendment, it's not on their radar. This is where we are at a deficit. I don't know how to fix that problem either.

Ya don’t. That’d be like polishin’ a turd. Ain’t got much other options besides movin’.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I'm disappointed with Hogan's 2A support as well, but let's not kid ourselves... If we had a O'Malley part three, or Lil Anthony Brown in office, EVERY YEAR would be 2013. They would actively push to one-up-themselves each and every session. Hogan hasn't done much to help gun rights, but he also hasn't gone out of his way to make things worse. That alone makes him better than the alternative.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I heard that if the governor vetoes anything this year the legislature can’t over rule because when they are back in session it will be a new group of senators and delegates and they can’t overide veto that they didn’t vote for in the first place.

Is that right?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I heard that if the governor vetoes anything this year the legislature can’t over rule because when they are back in session it will be a new group of senators and delegates and they can’t overide veto that they didn’t vote for in the first place.

Is that right?

I heard that also but idk if it’s true.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I was in the infamous meeting where Hogan met with the gun groups before the election. He promised we would have “a seat at the table”. John Josselyn told him that Ehrlich said the same thing. Hogan said this time would be different......

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I was in the infamous meeting where Hogan met with the gun groups before the election. He promised we would have “a seat at the table”. John Josselyn told him that Ehrlich said the same thing. Hogan said this time would be different......

When do we get this seat? Oh, right.......

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Is that right?

That would be correct:

http://msa.maryland.gov/msa/mdmanual/07leg/html/proc.html#vetoed

VETOED BILLS
    The power to override a veto rests with the General Assembly. If the Governor vetoes a bill during a regular session, the General Assembly immediately considers the Governor's veto message. If the Governor vetoes a bill presented after the session, the veto message must be considered immediately at the next regular or special session of the legislature. The General Assembly may not override a veto during the first year of a new legislative term since the bill would have been passed by the previous legislature (Const., Art. II, sec. 17). A three-fifths vote of the elected membership of both chambers is necessary to override a veto.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Hey legal beagles:

I'm drafting up my letters to Annapolis for this year, going to point out that the one magazine ban bill would retroactively make people criminals - what's the legal doctrine I'm thinking of there? I know it has a name, just can't remember it.

SF!

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Ex post facto law

From Article I, Section 9 of The COTUS: No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    Hey legal beagles:

I'm drafting up my letters to Annapolis for this year, going to point out that the one magazine ban bill would retroactively make people criminals - what's the legal doctrine I'm thinking of there? I know it has a name, just can't remember it.

SF!

That’s Ex Post Facto. They are going to say that it doesn’t apply here because they’re not making the past possession of these magazines illegal they are making the future possession of these magazines illegal. It is only breaking the law if you continue to do it, not if you did it in the past.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Probably true, the argument they'll use. I'll stick with "this would immediately make huge numbers of law-abiding citizens into felons" or words to that effect.

And I swear there was a term other than ex post facto, came up in the 2013 follies, but no matter. To the Bat-typewriter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom