• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    The range at my local Izaak Walton doesn't allow steel jacketed bullets, even though it's an outdoor range with a dirt berm. Does anyone know of an outdoor range that allows steel bimetallic jacketed bullets? Myrtle Grove? I haven't shot my AK in a while and want to shoot it along with the SKS.
    thanks.

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Not that it really matters but did you mean steel CASE ?

Never heard of an outdoor range that wouldn't allow certain ammo because of bullet composition, as long as it's not incendiary. The whole issue revolves around damaging backstops but with a dirt berm who cares. Strange.

Delmarva is the only one I've been to though. They definitely don't care. http://www.dscfff.com/

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    No problems with bimetal bullets at the AGC.

I've heard of steel jacket bans in fire-prone regions out west. The concern is a steel jacket hits a rock, strikes a spark which starts a brush fire, and burns the whole dang place down.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Thanks for the info. It's metal jacketed ammo that's causing my local range to reject it.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Where are you located?
    Izaak Walton in Mt Airy only bans full auto and 50 BMG, but unfortunately you can't transfer membership between IWLA posts.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    Who makes steel core 7.62 NATO rounds? I'm looking to take down some fae.
    I though steel core is considered armor piercing... But there's lots of combloc steel core made, just didn't think it could be sold.

In all seriousness though, isn't most Russian ammo bimetal, even the NATO calibers?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    It is considered "mild steel" and not real AP.
    Common Russian 7.62X54R and the X39 contents are similar.

Attachments

• 54R Steel.jpg
      54R Steel.jpg
      146.1 KB · Views: 177

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Even Norma made expanding hunting bullets with steel jackets up until the '90s. The US had over a Billion rounds of 45 ACP made with steel jackets during WWII. The steel is really soft. There was another thread about a month or so ago.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    Where are you located?
    Izaak Walton in Mt Airy only bans full auto and 50 BMG, but unfortunately you can't transfer membership between IWLA posts.

I shoot at the IWLA range in Fairfax county, near Centreville. I don't know why they have this rule, but it makes no sense for an outdoor range with a dirt berm.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Another vote for Delmarva Sporting Clays. Peacemaker National Training Center in WV allows you to fire at paper with bimetal projectiles, but they don't want you hitting their steel targets with it. I have no idea if they have a problem with anyone smacking their own steel with it.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I shoot at the IWLA range in Fairfax county, near Centreville. I don't know why they have this rule, but it makes no sense for an outdoor range with a dirt berm.

I am making a guess, but it could be due to making it easier for lead reclamation. Although at AGC, they did it last year and they did not change any rules about bi-metalic. I can say this, if they banned it, there would be an uproar from many. They do have a rule that no bimetalic, steel or steel core can be shot at steel targets.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I can understand why you wouldn't want to shoot steel targets with this stuff, but there's no logical reason to ban it when we're shooting at paper with a dirt berm backstop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom