• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nevada Now Honors Oregon. . . . Texas and Tennessee Updates

Nevada has added Oregon to the list of states it will honor. This is the first time Handgunlaw.us can remember when Nevada added a state/s and never removed a state or states from their listing. Things have changed in Nevada on how they honor other states and took local Law Enforcement out of deciding which states Nevada would honor. You can see the listing at
    http://gsd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gsdn...June%2017).pdf

Beginning September 1, 2017 Texas will reduce the cost of obtaining a permit from $140 to $40. It will also reduce renewals to $40.
    http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...pdf#navpanes=0

Starting July 1, 2017 Tennessee will recognize a protective order as a carry permit for 60 days immediately following issuance of the order of protection.
    http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/110/Bill/HB0752.pdf
    Tennessee has also strengthened its Preemption Law that goes into effect July 1 which lets those adversely affected by a local ordinance seek relief and recover costs. It also prohibits restricting firearms on County/City Public Buildings/Property unless certain conditions are met to keep firearms off the property.
    http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/110/Bill/HB0508.pdf

Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Starting July 1, 2017 Tennessee will recognize a protective order as a carry permit for 60 days immediately following issuance of the order of protection.

What a terrific idea. Puts a few teeth into the paper shield.

One of Maryland's R legislators ought to take that out for a run. It would be sweet to watch the majority squirm as they get called out for desk-drawering it.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    What a terrific idea. Puts a few teeth into the paper shield.

One of Maryland's R legislators ought to take that out for a run. It would be sweet to watch the majority squirm as they get called out for desk-drawering it.

Oh that would be SO sweet!

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I'll be spending a night and day in Chicago on a road trip to Nebraska. What does one do if carrying a pistol? Keeping it in a locked box OK?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i wouldn't. You have no FOPA protection with an overnight stay. Without an IL permit I wouldn't do it.

IL does not recognize any other state's permit.

my .02

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    i wouldn't. You have no FOPA protection with an overnight stay. Without an IL permit I wouldn't do it.

IL does not recognize any other state's permit.

my .02

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Be safe and enjoy the trip, whatever you decide to do.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I found these on handgunlaw.us.

IANAL. Do your own research before making a decision.

Attachments

• illinois-1.jpg
      illinois-1.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 282
    • il-2.jpg
      il-2.jpg
      67.2 KB · Views: 279

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    you don't even need a home state permit.

read item 3 in the first part.

IANAL, but item 2 is connected (by "and") to number 3. It seems to demand that the person have a permit from his home state. So MD is out, unless you're one of the lucky few.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IANAL , but I don't see (3) as overruling (2)(e)(2) above that.

I'm reading that if not posessed of a home state Permit, no statutory rights to carry/ transport, reverting to FOPA.

I see (3) as going beyond FOPA in requiring the pistol specifically to be locked up, instead of certian applications of FOPA where pistol or ammo could be locked.

Could you disregard (3) , and simply transport by applicable FOPA protocols, while travelling through under FOPA ? In principlr yes, but make your personal decisions on juice/ squeeze ratios for volunteering to be test case vs cheap lock on gun case .

stm

Mar 9, 2012
    Illinois CCL instructor here.

If you are allowed to carry a firearm in public under the laws of your home state, you may carry a loaded or unloaded handgun concealed on or about you in a vehicle in Illinois. If you exit the vehicle, the firearm must be enclosed in a case inside a locked vehicle, or in a locked container concealed within the vehicle.

A non-resident without a permit from their home state may TRANSPORT (vs. carry) a firearm in Illinois as long as it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm shipping box or other container. The location of ammunition, including ammunition in a loaded magazine is not regulated as long as the firearm is transported lawfully (i. e. unloaded and enclosed in a case).

You can have a loaded, accessible firearm (not encased) in your dwelling. A hotel room qualifies as a dwelling for the duration of your stay. Just be sure to transport your firearm legally (unloaded and enclosed in a case) into and out of your hotel room.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Also, check out some of the pinned threads at IllinoisCarry.com.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Illinois CCL instructor here.

If you are allowed to carry a firearm in public under the laws of your home state, you may carry a loaded or unloaded handgun concealed on or about you in a vehicle in Illinois. If you exit the vehicle, the firearm must be enclosed in a case inside a locked vehicle, or in a locked container concealed within the vehicle.

A non-resident without a permit from their home state may TRANSPORT (vs. carry) a firearm in Illinois as long as it is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm shipping box or other container. The location of ammunition, including ammunition in a loaded magazine is not regulated as long as the firearm is transported lawfully (i. e. unloaded and enclosed in a case).

You can have a loaded, accessible firearm (not encased) in your dwelling. A hotel room qualifies as a dwelling for the duration of your stay. Just be sure to transport your firearm legally (unloaded and enclosed in a case) into and out of your hotel room.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Also, check out some of the pinned threads at IllinoisCarry.com.

Thanks for educating us!

stm

Mar 9, 2012
    Thanks for educating us!
    Here is a pamphlet put out by ISP about transporting your firearms legally in Illinois. Keep in mind that this was published before Concealed Carry was passed.

Attachments

• ISP Transport Your Firearm Legally.pdf
      261 KB · Views: 113

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I do see where I erred in ignoring the word AND in the code, and since that portion only applied to licensees, I apologize. But the further explanation of the TRANSPORT statutes would seem to make storage legal if the firearm is never removed from the trunk, that's not CARRY.

seems legal to me.

But IANAL

Again, apologies for not reading correctly. RIF

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I made what I believe to be an interesting find on vehicle carry rights for Marylanders visiting Illinois. This info. is linked below direct from the Illinois Bar Association.

It would appear that since Maryland residents without a handgun permit are able to open carry loaded long guns (per AG in Woolard case) that vehicle carry in Illinois is legal for Marylanders. The text of the law addresses the carry of FIREARMS in your home state it does not appear to require that those FIREARMS be handguns.

https://www.isba.org/ibj/2013/12/thenewillinoisconcealedcarrylaw

From the site (CAPITALIZATION ADDED FOR EMPHASIS):

Different treatment for nonresidents

A person who has not resided within Illinois for more than 30 days and resides in another state or territory is subject to slightly different requirements than Illinois residents.17*The Department will compile a list of states that have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements in Illinois. If a non-resident from an approved state meets the resident qualifications and training requirements, he or she may apply for a non-resident license by submitting an application to the Department.

The law allows nonresidents without an Illinois CCL to transport a concealed handgun in their vehicles as long as they are not prohibited from owning or possessing firearms under federal law and are eligible to carry FIREARMS in their home states. Nonlicensed nonresidents may not leave the vehicle with the concealed firearm and must lock it in the vehicle if they leave the vehicle unattended.

It appears clear and unambiguous to me. IANAL and I do have a MD handgun permit so this helps others more than it would help me.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Only residents from 4 states can apply for an IL CC Wbecause their laws are substantially similar.

Residents Only

Source-www.handgunlaw.us

Attachments

• nr.jpg
      nr.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 119

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member