• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g8tr

Mar 19, 2013
    Balto Co.
    Is there any way to purchase a handgun online and still keep the original mags? Is it possible to use an IP right across the border for the transfer? The CZ P-09 I want is almost $100 cheaper online than what I've seen locally, and mags are expensive.

Thanks,
    g8tr

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    See if they'll ship the mags separate from the gun. I had the mags for a CZ P01 sent to Delaware.

Handguns have to be transferred via a FFL in state. Sorry.

DCutdSE

Rebel Scum
    Jan 2, 2009
    If you're looking to buy new, try calling other gun shops. Many can order what you want from their distributors. I've found that buying a gun online and then having to pay a LGS the transfer fee didn't really save me that much money in the long run. Especially if the seller is on Gunbroker and I had to go through the hassle of certified checks and the anxiety waiting. That doesn't help you with the mags, though. Buy spares and have them shipped to a friend out of state. It sucks.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    you have to physically leave the state, pick up the magazines in a legal state (not NJ, CA, etc.) and drive it into MD to be legal. they cannot be shipped into the state. only you can drive them in. that's the law. find a store near the border by you

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    FFL are aloud to receive 10+ capacity magazines and it there choice from there if they are willing to ship them to an out of state address for you to pick up. This depends on the FFL you are using and even sometimes the person shipping it to Maryland.

pablo1965

Epistemophilic
    Nov 2, 2016
    Baltimore County
    Ask your FFL if they will pin them to 10 for you. I've ordered online many times. Ask the FFL if they will first then let the shipper know to send them as is if the FFL agrees. They will be pinned to 10, but at least you won't lose the mags all together or have to pay gas money and your time to go out of state.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    you have to physically leave the state, pick up the magazines in a legal state (not NJ, CA, etc.) and drive it into MD to be legal. they cannot be shipped into the state. only you can drive them in. that's the law. find a store near the border by you

Chipd, you are allowed your own opinion, but not your own facts. This is another of your false statements.

Can you show me where MD law (or even an MSP webpage) indicates that new mags entering MD are required to be transported by motor vehicle, or who must be in control of the vehicle? One could take a bus, plane, or train to a free state and bring back regular capacity mags. One could also ride with a friend and not "drive" the vehicle. None of these scenarios would violate current Maryland law and the quoted post is nonsense.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Chipd, you are allowed your own opinion, but not your own facts. This is another of your false statements.

Can you show me where MD law (or even an MSP webpage) indicates that new mags entering MD are required to be transported by motor vehicle, or who must be in control of the vehicle? One could take a bus, plane, or train to a free state and bring back regular capacity mags. One could also ride with a friend and not "drive" the vehicle. None of these scenarios would violate current Maryland law and the quoted post is nonsense.

Correct. The law simply states that the transfer cannot occur in MD. The rest of the logistics are up to you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    An FFL may recieve over 10rd magazines. They may then only sell/ transfer/ offer them to LE or otherwise Exempt persons in Md .

One school of thought is that a. Md FFL could then ship them to a designated third party out of state. Few Md FFL's are inclined to step that deeply into a grey zone .

Catmj

Nov 6, 2015
    Baltimore County
    It's definitely possible to have success buying handguns in MD and having the LGS ship the mags out of state for you, if the gun comes with 10+ mags. Some distributors will only ship MD compliant mags, and then you have no choice. And of course, some LGS will not even agree to do it. It's hit or miss.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Ask your FFL if they will pin them to 10 for you. I've ordered online many times. Ask the FFL if they will first then let the shipper know to send them as is if the FFL agrees. They will be pinned to 10, but at least you won't lose the mags all together or have to pay gas money and your time to go out of state.

:thumbsup:I have had this done a couple of times for me but depends on the LGS. Had another dealer who paid me for the 10 round mags; I had to drive to PA and buy standard capacity mags but at least the final cost was only a few dollars.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

But...you cannot have a friend, spouse, parent or other such minion go and pick them up and bring them into the state for you (even if they have their own helicopter).

A drone? Hmm...I wouldn't want to be the test case for that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    FFL are aloud to receive 10+ capacity magazines and it there choice from there if they are willing to ship them to an out of state address for you to pick up. This depends on the FFL you are using and even sometimes the person shipping it to Maryland.

^ this. Been there done that.

gun+mags ship to FFL. FFL sends mags to your (dad, brother, po box, etc). gun transfer done in state. You have to pick up mags from your (dad, brother, po box etc.) out of state.

Of course, it's not free. postage is usually $5-10. Whether its worth it depends on the mag.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Yes but you will have to pay additional for the VA dealer to ship the gun only to the MD dealer.

Big Dog Outfitters in King George, VA, will do this. I am 40 miles away and figured I would use a cheap place in White Plains for the MD transfer.

I can't remember what the total price was going to be as I went a different route. It might be worth it if you talk to Big Dog and get a bunch of other stuff to make it worth the time/gas.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I recently got a good deal on a Beretta 92FS online. It was delivered with no magazine, I got 2 new factory mags delivered to my Daughter's boyfriend's house in PA. All things considered I still think I made out OK

EndangeredMooseknuckle

Abducted Cynic
    Jun 23, 2017
    Southern MD, St. Marys
    Yes but you will have to pay additional for the VA dealer to ship the gun only to the MD dealer.

Big Dog Outfitters in King George, VA, will do this. I am 40 miles away and figured I would use a cheap place in White Plains for the MD transfer.

I can't remember what the total price was going to be as I went a different route. It might be worth it if you talk to Big Dog and get a bunch of other stuff to make it worth the time/gas.
    Yep, this exactly. I have a couple of mags over at Big Dog right now. I'll simply zip over and grab them when in the area. They're easy to deal with and know the struggles we face in this forsaken state..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom