• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Crap on a cracker! I zeroed my 6.8 at 50/200 yards (aimpoint pro), and my 5.56 at 100 yards (per the instructions of my primary arms ACSS BDC 1-6, taking into consideration the elevation). I looked at all the different potential 'zeros' and thought I was picking the right distances for hunting/social work.

lawrencewendall

Been There, Done That
    Oct 10, 2009
    :D

Attachments

• Zerobulletpaths.jpg
      Zerobulletpaths.jpg
      54.9 KB · Views: 628

drkeg

Jan 14, 2011
    Catonsville
    I noticed that the corrections he said he was making were not the corrections he wound up writing on the target. If he had made the corrections he said on the first group, he wouldn't have overcorrected. I assume it was for instructional purposes...

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Crap on a cracker! I zeroed my 6.8 at 50/200 yards (aimpoint pro), and my 5.56 at 100 yards (per the instructions of my primary arms ACSS BDC 1-6, taking into consideration the elevation). I looked at all the different potential 'zeros' and thought I was picking the right distances for hunting/social work.
    Depends on the sights used. The Army method is I notice using the Matech rear sight which is graduated like a BDC scope with marks from 100-600 yards. If you are using a scope with a BDC reticle you can throw out the normal 200 yard zero methed for most calibers. For a BDC scope you need to zero based on the makers preferred method which is usually a 100y zero for 5.56/7.62 and 200y for a magnum rifle round (Burris/Vortex/Bushnell are what I am familiar with). Either way 100-200 yards is pretty close for most rifles. I know with my Burris 1-4x24 MTAC scope and a 100y zero I found I could hit targets at 400y without ever having shot the distance in practice so the 400y dot is right on for NATO 5.56 (in my case I was using WM .223 100 rd. value packs). What they are saying is also true in reverse so if your sight has no close range marks using the 300y mark for 25-30y shooting works.
    Your results might vary if you are setting it up for say hunting.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Depends on the sights used. The Army method is I notice using the Matech rear sight which is graduated like a BDC scope with marks from 100-600 yards. If you are using a scope with a BDC reticle you can throw out the normal 200 yard zero methed for most calibers. For a BDC scope you need to zero based on the makers preferred method which is usually a 100y zero for 5.56/7.62 and 200y for a magnum rifle round (Burris/Vortex/Bushnell are what I am familiar with). Either way 100-200 yards is pretty close for most rifles. I know with my Burris 1-4x24 MTAC scope and a 100y zero I found I could hit targets at 400y without ever having shot the distance in practice so the 400y dot is right on for NATO 5.56 (in my case I was using WM .223 100 rd. value packs). What they are saying is also true in reverse so if your sight has no close range marks using the 300y mark for 25-30y shooting works.
    Your results might vary if you are setting it up for say hunting.
    Thank you!

porscheguy

Jul 30, 2012
    That really simplifies the process which is good. I remember buying a couple of those targets back in 2000 when I got my first AR15.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Did anybody notice this was filmed at Ft. Benning (Army) and not once was there a reference made to "AR", all references, except one, were made to a specific weapon system, either the M4 or the M16. Once was the word "gun" mentioned to address a specific subject that any type gun would need to be effective.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Did anybody notice this was filmed at Ft. Benning (Army) and not once was there a reference made to "AR", all references, except one, were made to a specific weapon system, either the M4 or the M16. Once was the word "gun" mentioned to address a specific subject that any type gun would need to be effective.

Filmed by Benning TV

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom