• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I suspect (hope) than when speaking of keeping rounds "in the black of the targets" , JHE and Blaster were speaking of two different targets.

If JHE was speaking of somthing like a B-3 , and Blaster visualizing somthing like a B-27 , then the various statements would make sense.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I suspect (hope) than when speaking of keeping rounds "in the black of the targets" , JHE and Blaster were speaking of two different targets.

If JHE was speaking of somthing like a B-3 , and Blaster visualizing somthing like a B-27 , then the various statements would make sense.

I said silhouette, does it matter? You shoot off the black on a B3, you're still hitting a threat. To tweak down the hit tolerance in a defensive shoot because of a trigger?

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    The single stack 9mm WITH a hammer seems like a hard thing to find.

I started with a Sig, and absolutely hated DA/SA.

I moved to a Glock 19. I loved the trigger and shot well with it.

I needed a single stack since I now carry every day.

I shot the subcompact Glocks like crap.

I got a S&W Shield. I loved the feel. I didn't care for the trigger.

I bought an Apex trigger replacement.

Problem solved.

I learned to shoot with single action guns (.22 autos and 1911s.) Have never been able to shoot acceptably double action. By acceptably I mean keeping it in the black on a bullseye target at the appropriate range for the target. Shooting a revolver double action I am lucky to keep it on the paper double action.

Add to that I have trouble reaching the trigger properly on most DA and striker fired handguns.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah. I dunno. I just know after a career as a federal air marshal, I've seen all shapes and sizes handily take care of business with a P229. We never had the luxury of swapping triggers or any custom work. Small women packing concealed a huge pistol for many many hours on end all over the world. They got the job done. I've known shooters who had to use their middle finger as their trigger finger and make shots. Sorry that I don't take up the plight of a "bad trigger makes me shoot bad" mantra.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Yeah. I dunno. I just know after a career as a federal air marshal, I've seen all shapes and sizes handily take care of business with a P229. We never had the luxury of swapping triggers or any custom work. Small women packing concealed a huge pistol for many many hours on end all over the world. They got the job done. I've known shooters who had to use their middle finger as their trigger finger and make shots. Sorry that I don't take up the plight of a "bad trigger makes me shoot bad" mantra.

you've never shot a gun with a trigger bad enough to make you shoot below the average way you shoot?

I have only been playing with guns, yeah playing, for around 50 years and I have a few I don't shoot because the trigger is so bad its down right depressing not to be able to hit a barn with it if your inside the barn.

just asking for my own .nfo,

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    you've never shot a gun with a trigger bad enough to make you shoot below the average way you shoot?

I have only been playing with guns, yeah playing, for around 50 years and I have a few I don't shoot because the trigger is so bad its down right depressing not to be able to hit a barn with it if your inside the barn.

just asking for my own .nfo,

Not at 7-10 yards self defense mode. A .44 is not a self defense carry gun. Sorry to burst your bubble.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Not at 7-10 yards self defense mode. A .44 is not a self defense carry gun. Sorry to burst your bubble.

hell I have pistols made for self defense that I wont trust my life to and they aint 44's. If I carry my 44's I feel plenty safe enough.

I have at least half a dozen derringers and other small personal protection pistols that damn near take two hands and two fingers to pull the trigger and I never could hit shit with them. neither could the guys who gave them to me, that's part of the reason I got them.

anyway you didn't burst my bubble, I was just asking a question that I guess you felt was over some line that needed a smart answer to. so you have a nice day.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    hell I have pistols made for self defense that I wont trust my life to and they aint 44's. If I carry my 44's I feel plenty safe enough.

I have at least half a dozen derringers and other small personal protection pistols that damn near take two hands and two fingers to pull the trigger and I never could hit shit with them. neither could the guys who gave them to me, that's part of the reason I got them.

anyway you didn't burst my bubble, I was just asking a question that I guess you felt was over some line that needed a smart answer to. so you have a nice day.

Sorry about that. I took your "I've been PLAYING with pistols for years" as your experience and sabre rattle about self defense shooting. I am in the minority here when it comes to a "shooting" mantra. I take the defensive.
    I'm 50 years old. I'm no "young buck". The ripple around here is that if you're not old, you don't know shit. About anything.
    I apologize if I came off strong to you. :thumbup:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Sorry about that. I took your "I've been PLAYING with pistols for years" as your experience and sabre rattle about self defense shooting. I am in the minority here when it comes to a "shooting" mantra. I take the defensive.
    I'm 50 years old. I'm no "young buck". The ripple around here is that if you're not old, you don't know shit. About anything.
    I apologize if I came off strong to you. :thumbup:

its cool. I have been spanked for saying I play with guns so sometimes I get defensive. defensive shooting is far far less trigger sensitive than target shooting but I know folks who just can pull a long heavy trigger. hell most of the time I get their guns that they cant shoot. I am lucky that way.

so my only point is if you cant pull the trigger you cant defend yourself after you throw your pistol at your assailant, lol. some folks need a shorter lighter trigger just to get a round off. some folks make due.

now I wanna knock off and go play with my pistols.......

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I assume you're set on 9mm luger, but you might also consider a 9mm Makarov or Polish P64 (with an easy spring replacement to fix the stock trigger) or Bulgarian Mak. I carry my P64 fairly regularly.

Corrected. Bulgarian Makarovs and P-64s (two completely different but related pistols) are available, and the P-64 is C&R. Both are small and lightweight, and slim in profile.

And don't scoff at the 9x18 round; it packs a punch and can be bought easily and fairly inexpensively on line. It's even available in Hornady Defense and +P flavors.

EDIT: Both were blank sheet Commie designs that "borrowed heavily" (i.e., ripped off) the Walther PPS/K. Also, I strongly recommend the Polish Iron replacement grips for the P-64, which can get very "snappy" feeling after a mag or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom