Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old November 24th, 2021, 12:51 PM #1

MD GUN LAW Q

Can a loaded blackpower revolver be legally CC in MD ?? (Without a permit)
Aunt Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 12:52 PM #2
Deplorable Welder

Deplorable Welder

On private property ? or everywhere ? In hands or holster ?
FJB
Let's Go Brandon
welder516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 01:01 PM #3

I believe the state considers it the same as a modern handgun once you start carrying it.
Old November 24th, 2021, 01:03 PM #4
Recovering Lurker

Recovering Lurker

The MD Wear & Carry Permit doesn't make a distinction between smokey and smokeless. That said, it'd be pretty crazy to use a black powder revolver as your concealed carry piece. If the question is asked because the prospective carrier is prohibited from owning a modern firearm, then that person is definitely going to be prohibited from concealed carry anyway. If the question is asked out of a romantic, nostalgic, or passionate interest and dedication to old school percussion cap revolvers - so passionate that a person allowed to carry a modern pistol is willing to bet their life on a wildly less reliable weapon - then I don't see a problem with it. But I see a lot of problems that could come from it.
Occam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 01:19 PM #5
Deplorable Welder

Deplorable Welder

Yeah in my cc interview the Trooper ask what I was going to carry wish I would have said BP
FJB
Let's Go Brandon
welder516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 02:30 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
Yeah in my cc interview the Trooper ask what I was going to carry wish I would have said BP
When they asked me that questions I asked, "what do you recommend?"
Old November 24th, 2021, 02:39 PM #7
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

AFAIK, the Feds do not consider a BP pistol as a "gun", loaded or not. Inserting a conversion cylinder makes it one. Marylandistan most likely would consider a capped and loaded BP pistol as a "dangerous weapon" to deprive you of your civil rights. Note that uncapped is unloaded. As with anything to do with law in this legislative lunatic asylum, YMMV.

#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 02:54 PM #8
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...section-4-101/
https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...section-4-201/

Interestingly enough, there's an exemption for carrying antique firearms at demonstrations. Otherwise, you cannot carry a firearm anywhere that your activity may "draw a crowd"
https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...section-4-208/

parler: 2ateacher
gab: 2ateacher
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 02:54 PM #9

I remember researching this in-depth years ago but my memory is pretty fuzzy. If I recall, MD law, as with Federal law, does not consider a muzzleloader or other antiques an actual firearm, so firearms laws do not apply. However, since it is a weapon, it falls under the same dangerous weapon statute as daggers, bowie knives, brass knuckles etc. in that it cannot be carried concealed on the person. It can, however, be carried in a vehicle unloaded, and can be carried on the person loaded and not concealed (not applying firearms laws here because it legally is not one at a state or federal level). My takeaway was, if I needed a truck gun, I could theoretically have a BP revolver in a case with a separate loaded cylinder ready to go and not violate any laws. I could, then, if a situation arose where it was needed, legally load and carry the BP revolver unconcealed. In the event that it was decided that the revolver was carried loaded inside the vehicle, it falls under hunting statutes and the first offense is a citation.

Again, memory is pretty fuzzy here and the theory involved some real tip-toeing around current laws to arrive at that conclusion. Might be way off base here.

EDIT: I see Smokey0118 posted right as I started typing. That's how I remembered it: "It's the same as a fixed blade. It's a firearm, but not a handgun. As such, you should be able to legally open carry a cap and ball revolver, but you cannot conceal it."
benton0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2021, 03:04 PM #10
2A TEACHER

2A TEACHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by benton0311 View Post
I remember researching this in-depth years ago but my memory is pretty fuzzy. If I recall, MD law, as with Federal law, does not consider a muzzleloader or other antiques an actual firearm, so firearms laws do not apply. However, since it is a weapon, it falls under the same dangerous weapon statute as daggers, bowie knives, brass knuckles etc. in that it cannot be carried concealed on the person. It can, however, be carried in a vehicle unloaded, and can be carried on the person loaded and not concealed (not applying firearms laws here because it legally is not one at a state or federal level). My takeaway was, if I needed a truck gun, I could theoretically have a BP revolver in a case with a separate loaded cylinder ready to go and not violate any laws. I could, then, if a situation arose where it was needed, legally load and carry the BP revolver unconcealed. In the event that it was decided that the revolver was carried loaded inside the vehicle, it falls under hunting statutes and the first offense is a citation.

Again, memory is pretty fuzzy here and the theory involved some real tip-toeing around current laws to arrive at that conclusion. Might be way off base here.

EDIT: I see Smokey0118 posted right as I started typing. That's how I remembered it: "It's the same as a fixed blade. It's a firearm, but not a handgun. As such, you should be able to legally open carry a cap and ball revolver, but you cannot conceal it."
After reading through state law, I'm not seeing firearms mentioned in the dangerous weapons section, except for stating that "weapon" doesn't mean "handgun". I remembered this coming up a bunch and it resulting in antique firearms being treated like a dangerous weapon, but they aren't mentioned within the dangerous weapon section of comar...soooo...? Concealed might be okay unless I'm missing something.

parler: 2ateacher
gab: 2ateacher
smokey0118 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues