Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rimfire
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Old November 21st, 2021, 08:11 PM #1

Buckmark vs Mark IV

Anyone have first hand experience with either of these? Looking for something to mainly compete with.

Threaded barrel is a must.
XJ.Cherokee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2021, 08:17 PM #2
American Patriot

American Patriot

The Mark IV wins hands down. Aside from it being very accurate right out of the box, it has one of the largest selection of aftermarket parts available. You can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk of any kind.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2021, 08:27 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
The Mark IV wins hands down. Aside from it being very accurate right out of the box, it has one of the largest selection of aftermarket parts available. You can't go wrong with a Ruger Mk of any kind.
School me. What's the difference between the standard Mark 4 and the 22/45? Besides the grip angle
Old November 21st, 2021, 08:29 PM #4

I haven’t bought or shot either yet but the buck mark feels better in my hand.
Johnconlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2021, 08:45 PM #5

The 22/45 has a polymer lower. I'm planing on building a mark iv this winter. But I perfer the grip angle and weight(lower half) of the standard one. You can also look at the smith and wesson victory.
davidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2021, 09:21 PM #6
6.5 Man Bun

6.5 Man Bun

My Buckmark is a tack driver but a major PITA to disassemble for cleaning. I don't have experience with the Rugers.
Old November 21st, 2021, 11:21 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregrouper View Post
My Buckmark is a tack driver but a major PITA to disassemble for cleaning. I don't have experience with the Rugers.
How often do you need to clean it? I know the takedown was a complaint with the older Ruger MK pistols
Old November 21st, 2021, 11:51 PM #8

Mk IV 22/45 only takes seconds to disassemble. Press a button then it comes apart. Then pull out the bolt. It has a Pic rail on top for a red dot.
Stamp collector
Part-time paper puncher
md_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2021, 11:58 PM #9

Wife has a Ruger 22/45 light. I have a browning Buckmark.
I prefer the buck mark.
Ruger is just as much of a PIA I feel to take apart and from experiance, needs to be taken apart and cleaned more often.
There is a spring in the ruger that can be tricky so I watch the video every time since its the wife's and she usually shoots it.
Both are easy to put a red dot/reflex sight.
I have run both from a rest to look at accuracy and used various ammo. Ruger was more accurate from a rest.
Ruger as mentioned has lots of upgrades like triggers. I have run both stock though.
Weight on my buckmark is heavier and one handed, I shoot the buckmark better cause it moves less with my trigger pull. I"m sure with a trigger upgrade the Ruger would shoot better than it does.

I did a test on both with minimag 36g copper coated. Ruger lasted about 500 rounds before it needed cleaning (FTE/FTF). Buckmark ran well over 1000 rounds and I did not even have a hiccup. I cleaned the breech and bolt face w/o dissassembling it at 1100 rounds and ran another 500 and even though it did not fail, I dissassembled and cleaned it anyway.
I feel the mag on the buckmark has a better feel in inserting it. Her ruger, I have to double check its in all the way or it drops after the first or 2nd round is fired.
Ruger was a threaded barrel so it was suppressor ready. The buckmark I got was not.
Ruger needed a mod to the bolt release button. Buckmark was GTG out of the box.
I have not done a trigger mod as mentioned but strait out of the box, Buckmark was much better IMO. If you get the 22/45, I feel be prepared to do mods.
I have had both since 2013

They are honestly both accurate as the shooter and you will need to be a VERY experienced shooter to know the difference or otherwise, its mostly the fit and weight that would make the difference. My wife has small hands and much prefers the light gun. She has shot my Buckmark and did not like the weight. As mentioned, me personally, I shoot the buckmark better one handed, but 2 handed they are pretty much the same.

Wife's cousin was in town and friday we took her to shoot the 22/45, by the time we were done, she was hitting 12" steel @ 25 yards 6/10 shots.

You can't go wrong either one you choose, but if you want to do mods, check out what mods you want to do. I just hear (as already mentioned) a Ruger has more out there for mods.
Melnic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2021, 09:18 AM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Wife has a Ruger 22/45 light. I have a browning Buckmark.
I prefer the buck mark.
Ruger is just as much of a PIA I feel to take apart and from experiance, needs to be taken apart and cleaned more often.
There is a spring in the ruger that can be tricky so I watch the video every time since its the wife's and she usually shoots it.
Both are easy to put a red dot/reflex sight.
I have run both from a rest to look at accuracy and used various ammo. Ruger was more accurate from a rest.
Ruger as mentioned has lots of upgrades like triggers. I have run both stock though.
Weight on my buckmark is heavier and one handed, I shoot the buckmark better cause it moves less with my trigger pull. I"m sure with a trigger upgrade the Ruger would shoot better than it does.

I did a test on both with minimag 36g copper coated. Ruger lasted about 500 rounds before it needed cleaning (FTE/FTF). Buckmark ran well over 1000 rounds and I did not even have a hiccup. I cleaned the breech and bolt face w/o dissassembling it at 1100 rounds and ran another 500 and even though it did not fail, I dissassembled and cleaned it anyway.
I feel the mag on the buckmark has a better feel in inserting it. Her ruger, I have to double check its in all the way or it drops after the first or 2nd round is fired.
Ruger was a threaded barrel so it was suppressor ready. The buckmark I got was not.
Ruger needed a mod to the bolt release button. Buckmark was GTG out of the box.
I have not done a trigger mod as mentioned but strait out of the box, Buckmark was much better IMO. If you get the 22/45, I feel be prepared to do mods.
I have had both since 2013

They are honestly both accurate as the shooter and you will need to be a VERY experienced shooter to know the difference or otherwise, its mostly the fit and weight that would make the difference. My wife has small hands and much prefers the light gun. She has shot my Buckmark and did not like the weight. As mentioned, me personally, I shoot the buckmark better one handed, but 2 handed they are pretty much the same.

Wife's cousin was in town and friday we took her to shoot the 22/45, by the time we were done, she was hitting 12" steel @ 25 yards 6/10 shots.

You can't go wrong either one you choose, but if you want to do mods, check out what mods you want to do. I just hear (as already mentioned) a Ruger has more out there for mods.
I appreciate the insight into the Buckmark. I'm guessing you have the mark 3 Ruger though?

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rimfire